Most common and least common roles in the game

Elyons

Whichever one you currently need is the least common. Whichever you are is the most common. That's what experience teaches me. If I'm on my DPS, everyone needs tanks. If I'm on my tank, they are looking for healers. And if I want to play my healer, they need DPS :)

But seriously, healers and tanks are less common than DPS. And I generally see people shouting for tanks more often than healers, though in my guild, tanks are more common than healers.

Tanks are less common because they have greater responsibility. They are generally expected to lead the group inside the instance, to set the pace, and so on. Also, lower damage makes for slower leveling. And a tank tends to want nice gear, since that has a big impact on how much damage he takes.

Healers because they have to react quickly and pay attention. They are the safety net for everyone else. Tank doesn't pick up a mob, it hits someone, healer heals. DPS doesn't kill something fast enough, it starts to chew on someone, healer heals. Someone watches TV for a little bit, kid spills something, whatever, they miss something in game, healer heals. Healer misses any of that, someone dies.

Both also do a bit less damage, so generally solo slower, though less of an issue in this game thanks to companions.

Edited by Battilea

DPS will be the most common by far, I'd probably put tanking on least common but hard to really know. I would say tanks are less common than healers in PVP at least.

PVP tanking right now is in a weird spot. Shields and Defense are just about worthless, so all you really go for in tank trees are the utility, armor increases and straight mitigation talents. Hence why everybody is running Tank/DPS hybrids right now.

Actually on my server, dps are in the highest demand at 50. Especially jedi knights. People are constantly spamming in trade for a JK dps.

Once we get dual spec especially, I doubt dps will be in any short supply.