There wont be an FPS fix

Satanski

Your configuration isn't compatible with the engine. Computers on the low and high end tend not to be.

And god help laptop users. almost none of their graphic cards are compatible.

lol Let me get this straight... I need to dumb down my computer in order for it to run smoother??? Just... WOW?!?

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I love it when people talk about the engine like they know what it can and cannot handle just because it's an out sourced.

You can bet your last couple of credits that Bioware can fix whatever they want in regards to the engine. People cried and cried that they wouldn't be able to fix ability delay because of the engine. Well, they did.

I seriously doubt Bioware doesn't own versions of Hero Engine that let them modify the engine directly as if it were in house.

The FPS issues will get fixed.

lol Let me get this straight... I need to dumb down my computer in order for it to run smoother??? Just... WOW?!?

They started development 5 years ago.

Most the computers bought 2 years ago work great. If you just bought your computer in the past year? They probably didn't have time to make the engine optimized for it. If your computer is 4 years old? They probably thought you would have replaced it by now. Most Americans have about a 2 year turn over on computers and 4 year turn over on cars.

So yeah. brand new computers are usually not gonna work on an engine fresh from development.

Most of you probably don't realize that almost all the major titles you guys play are from UDK or a deviation of it.

A tried and true engine that is very flexible and understood.

Swtors engine was the hero engine. A relatively new engine. It is no longer able to be called the hero engine, as pointed out by the devs of it, which in terms of IP means that 80% of it is different / new.

So essentially bioware rebuilt the engine leaving only the skeleton.

They will get to your rig configuration in time.

Only a few of the nividia cards are compatible.

However there is hope.

Some cards have older drivers that make it compatible.

Having an up to date driver... oddly enough, might be the source of your FPS issue.

However, sometimes you are just skrewed and would thus need a different card.

It looks like no gfx card is compatible with this game. My GTX470 isnt, my frineds GTX28x isnt, as you can see in other threads regarding the issue, GTX5xx cards aren't either. So what cards are compatible?

Form the FAQ:

Star Wars: The Old Republic requires a video card that has a minimum of 256MB of on-board RAM as well as support for Shader 3.0 or better. Examples include:

ATI X1800 or better

nVidia 7800 or better

Intel 4100 Integrated Graphics or better

It seems all the cards i mentioned should be good.

Turn off shadows - no more FPS problems.

Doesnt change anything for me.

Edited by Satanski

It looks like no gfx card is compatible with this game. My GTX470 isnt, my frineds GTX28x isnt, as you can see in other threads regarding the issue, GTX5xx cards aren't either. So what cards are compatible?

Form the FAQ:

Star Wars: The Old Republic requires a video card that has a minimum of 256MB of on-board RAM as well as support for Shader 3.0 or better. Examples include:

ATI X1800 or better

nVidia 7800 or better

Yeah, bioware probably didn't realize the problem until after they posted the specs.

I have a ATI Radeon HD 4870 and i run everything on high except for AA and shadows which i run on low and get 40-75 fps. My computer is 3 years old.

Pre 1.2 I had to run everything on low to get 40+ fps.

They are working on it. In the meantime you either need to find a driver that's compatible or switch to a card you know works.

How fast is your cpu?

I OC'd my 5850 and I have my crappy AMD Phenom II X6 1055T OC'd to 3.5ghz. Once I turned off the shadows everything is butter.

I have everything else high and AA x8

**edit** I just wanted to say with shadows, it's a little jerky, etc. But I'm just chalking it up to needing better hardware to run everything maxed. Seeing that it's a brand new game.

This is an MMO and really does look great. It makes WoW look like it belongs in a nursing home.

Edited by Runestone

Originally Posted by metalgearyoda

Only a few of the nividia cards are compatible.

However there is hope.

Some cards have older drivers that make it compatible.

Having an up to date driver... oddly enough, might be the source of your FPS issue.

However, sometimes you are just skrewed and would thus need a different card.

Had to roll back drivers more then a few times in the 7 years of playing wow.

I'm currently running a 5 year old machine and get better performance then some of the complaints I see from people with new rigs.

I'm tending to think that it is a comparability issue and, as is human nature these days, people default to parroting the side of the "engine" argument that allows them to blame rather then look at it with a more scientific, trouble shooting attitude.

Edited by Blackardin

Had to roll back drivers more then a few times in the 7 years of playing wow.

I'm currently running a 5 year old machine and get better performance then some of the complaints I see from people with new rigs.

I'm tending to think that it is a comparability issue and, as is human nature these days, people default to parroting the side of the "engine" argument that allows them to blame rather then look at it with a more scientific, trouble shooting attitude.

Yeah... but.

I can understand their confusion and frustration.

The fact of the matter is its a little of both.

Yes, your computer isn't compatible with swtor.

But shouldn't it be?

Granted, that's rather idealistic. As you pointed out, in wow there have been updates and patches that did require some roll backs so as a community we shouldn't be completely surprised... but this is effecting a large amount of the community which is a little surprising.

How fast is your cpu?

I OC'd my 5850 and I have my crappy AMD Phenom II X6 1055T OC'd to 3.5ghz. Once I turned off the shadows everything is butter.

I have everything else high and AA x8

C2Q@ 3.2Ghz. The game doesnt utilise all of it

I made a movie that shows it. I never had the need to make such movies so im inexperienced and quality isnt great, but you can see GPU and CPU utilisation.

link

C2Q@ 3.2Ghz. The game doesnt utilise all of it

I made a movie that shows it. I never had the need to make such movies so im inexperienced and quality isnt great, but you can see GPU and CPU utilisation.

link

I hate to say this but I noticed your shadows are on. I honestly don't think you have the hardware to run them in large scale PVP.

Edited by Runestone

The engine is bad.

8v8 WZs are crap, but sadly the engine just can't handle more.

I wonder when they first realised this...

Just as a note, I have a gtx570 and i7 processor (processor is important for this game), for what they give us, my game runs fine.

Ilum ofc was a mess, but I want larger WZs, 8v8 is not a war!

Edited by Tekkoclarky

I hate to say this but I noticed your shadows are on. I honestly don't think you have the hardware to run them in large scale PVP.

As i said, turning them off doesnt change anything. Besides i ran Rift on my previous GTX 260 and the same processor, with all features on, including shadows without a problem. And there were much more people fighting. Turning off features isnt an option. They made poor engine and have to fix it if they want my money.

Or just the fact that we'll all have upgraded to much better computers by then might fix it.

Here in is a lot of truth. The min specs to run the game are simply...too low. I donot have a super powerhouse computer, but I did upgrade from my 6 yr old one to a I7 2600, 12 gb ram, Radeon 6850 GPU and I am very pleased how it performs. I have all the settings to max ( with Bloom turned off, donot like how it looks ) and my fps are in the consistent 60 fps with Vsync enabled, even in Fleet. I donot however play any Warfronts and never did any runs with more than 3 other players at the same time. So may not be the case in those. Many players like to play with a lot of other crap running in the background. I avoid those alltogether if possible. Do not have a virus program running in the background even.

Most folks do not even know what a graphics engine is , let alone how it runs a game and what it takes to create a new one......

Hero is an OLD engine used/created first in Hero's Journey by Simutronics around 1995….never released.

So, to start from scratch is not an easy task to say the least.

It would require a total "start from scratch" build and that would take quit awhile... Years!

Maybe once expansion 3.0 comes it will or could be done, but at what cost and how long ????

It is not financially feasible to do and EA will NOT spend any money to do so as you well know.

So you have what you have, as I have said many times before. This game is what it is and maybe, just maybe they can tweak out a little more from this tired Old engine… doubtful.

This and server pop, plus content is why I will leave to new adventures.

Game was a blast for the first 60 days, now ... not so much.

Thanks BW for giving me a chance to see Star Wars one more time in a very kewl setting and story lines.

But, I see no reason to spend anymore money on this game at this time...maybe after 2.0 or 3.0...

No, this is not a bash the game post, just some info as many seem to think that changing to a new graphics engine is as easy and changing yer undies. It takes 2 years or more to build a Simple game and SWTOR is NOT a simple game. If you see it on your monitor, it is because of the Graphics engine…. Get the idea here?

Doug out .......

Edited by DogMeat

Form the FAQ:

ATI X1800 or better

nVidia 7800 or better

Odd...my friend got a new laptop..I7 ..GTX 560ti and the game runs smoothly for him.

As i said, turning them off doesnt change anything. Besides i ran Rift on my previous GTX 260 and the same processor, with all features on, including shadows without a problem. And there were much more people fighting. Turning off features isnt an option. They made poor engine and have to fix it if they want my money.

There is little doubt the engine needs tweaking, but it's a brand new game.

If you're simply not willing to turn down some graphic options during large scale pvp, the best advice I could give you is resub at a later date when they get all the kinks out of the system.

You have to admit though, your hardware has seen better days. ;)

Edited by Runestone

Funny that i don't have FPS issues (cause 20fps in areas with 100 ppl doesn't bother me) but i have HUGE loading times for some planets like Tatooine, and even inside the planete, if i get a taxi the game stutters A LOT while moving from one area to another with intense HD reading.

Its the first MMORPG i ever had this problem. And i played MMORPG with far superior graphics like Age of Conan and FF14.

Funny that i don't have FPS issues (cause 20fps in areas with 100 ppl doesn't bother me) but i have HUGE loading times for some planets like Tatooine, and even inside the planete, if i get a taxi the game stutters A LOT while moving from one area to another with intense HD reading.

Its the first MMORPG i ever had this problem. And i played MMORPG with far superior graphics like Age of Conan and FF14.

I think everyone is experiencing the LONNNNNGGGGG loading times for some planets. Alderaan takes, forever!

Once again....odd. I have a slow rpm harddrive ( 5400 rpm ) and I donot have those issues to the extremes you indicate. I do however have a I7, with 10 GB of ram. If that makes any difference I amnot sure. But I did read the game is very cpu intensive.

Edited by Valkirus

Once again....odd. I have slow rpm harddrive ( 5400 rpm ) and I donot have those issues to the extremes you indicate. I do however have a I7, with 12 GB of ram. If that makes any difference I amnot sure. But I did read the game is very cpu intensive.

Yeah this game loves the cpu. When I OC'd to 3.9ghz I get a 6-10fps jump. Too bad it's not stable. So I settled for 3.5 lol.

There is little doubt the engine needs tweaking, but it's a brand new game.

If you're simply not willing to turn down some graphic options during large scale pvp, the best advice I could give you is resub at a later date when they get all the kinks out of the system.

You have to admit though, your hardware has seen better days. ;)

Hehe, it has seen better engines too ;-)

If only lowering settings lead to better performance and BW would admit the engine needs fixing i could live with it for some time. Unfortunately its not the case.

Ill play the rest of my subscription, plus 30 free days and see how the things develope, but its another story.