The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

When Does it Get Better? (PvP)

seabromd

As Shield Tech or any form of tank spec your dmg will be laughable, get used to it. If you want to wreck faces go Pyro, that spec dishes some serious numbers. Still, utility is nice for those tanking specs, but don't expect to dominate. If you pair up with a healer the pair of you will be difficult to kill, and you can hold objective nicely, but killing others ain't gonna be easy.

So, killing people = Pyro.

Honestly I feel like, in pvp, PT are not the best tank, the other classes are superior in terms of guarding and utility. But of the 3 tank classes we are BY FAR the best when dps speced doing off the charts dmg while having the best taunts (30m range on aoe) and maintaining the defensive bonuses of other tank classes (in dps spec)

The idea of tanking in PvP is wrong. The better mentality is being a meatshield. You are there to take damage from another person, it is all about guard. Thus, it is all about making sure you guard the proper targets. Don't try and throw guard on a sniper who is getting jumped by 4 people, he will take enough damage to make you useless. The reason that Jugg makes a better "tank" in PvP is because they can jump to an enemy AND a friendly. We have Jet Charge and Grapple, awesome abilities, but they limit us because we cannot jump up levels in huttball to aid teams. Assassins work well as "tanks" in pvp because they can stealth as well as sprint. They have the force grab or whatever it is, but they shine grabbing the ball and sprinting away for the score. So a PTs "tanking" roll is to protect a ball carrier or a healer.

As Pyro, like people have said, you will wreck people. Don't listen to the people who post their SS of 750k damage. Stupid crap like that is what gets you nerfed. If you are going for the objectives, you should average around 300-400k damage in Huttball and Voidstar. Void can sometimes be higher, all depends on teams.

My style for huttball is different than most. I like it, but I will probably get flamed for it. My goal is to harass all ranged, i troll the upper levels looking for healers/dps standing up raining death on my teammates. Mercs, Sorcs, Snipers and their counterparts can all do insane damage when they can stand and shoot. My goal is to not let that happen. You should win the 1 v 1s vs those ranged guys, which helps the rest of your team move the ball.

Never judge a class by lower levels. Everything changes at 50, the classes are actually quite well balanced (again gonna get flamed, but balance does not mean that every class/spec can kill every other class, it means that each class has a role it fills, and fills it sufficiently. I leveled as ST with Mako and loved it. I PvPed quite frequently on the way up and enjoyed it as well. Medals wont mean anything after 1.1.5, so dont worry about those any more. It is beyond easy to get the 4 medals that will count.

Enjoy your class, learn its roll, regardless of spec and I can promise you will have success in WZs.

I honestly had a blast from the moment I stepped into my first match at level 10 (Huttball, scored once, 2 assists!) to dinging 50 in Voidstar (my team won the match and dedicated it to me : D). My PT has always felt like a good contribution to the team (I do the boring tasks, like defending the boring turret/door solo, making sure to be ready w/ Grapple whenever an enemy ball carrier is nearing the end of the bridges, grappling any potential receivers who may have run ahead of the ball carrier, etc).

At 50, it was painful for the first week, and after that it was back to normal again.

I leveled as AP/Pyro hybrid spec (I went up the Pyro tree for the Rail shot reset talent first, and it helped immensely to have that and the auto-snare lower in the tree).

I shelved my Sorc after the 3rd match on my PT because I was in love.

I am the same way. I am leveling my PT as pyro, 24 atm. Every PvP match I go in I am the highest damage done and I still have some protection from taunts.

I leveled a Juggernaut first and I honestly haven't touched him since I created my PT, it's by far my favorite class.

Just came out of a warzone as a full Pyro spec, level 34, mostly Cad and one piece of Foundry gear, personally crafted mods to my level, boosting power and crit.

I finished with 9 medals, 220k damage, 24k in protection, and 3 deaths.

Yes the team I played against wasn't amazingly organized, and no I did not do this by myself, I had a great team with me.

But I did not have a pocket healer and I was targeted often by the other team.

I'm not being epeen, I have lots of games where I do not do this well, but my point is 'When Does it Get Better (PvP)' makes very little sense.

For the early stages of endgame PvP on my other toons it can most certainly get frustrating until you have some better gear ... but this class does NOT have problems in PvP. For sure you will have an adjustment period in 50 pvp, everyone does.

Until then, I think in your case, as others have said, you should go full out Pyro, destroy people, but still play as part of your team, so that you aren't focus fired as some renegade that three players will wipe every time they see you leave the spawn point. You'll love, you just have to.

Edited by Poe_

Yes. I understand a leveling character will not find pvp balanced. As the one before me said, my question was when will I not get ruined.

That said, my feeling waking into PT was that we tanked in pvp, so I was going ST. I've since switched to pyro and enjoy it very much.

I'm still looking forward to trying the Ironfist though

I haven't had much success with ironfist spec myself, it's damage and survivability seem lower than non-hybrid specs.

I have however had success with earning a high amount of medals per game as a full pvp tank spec. I earn less medals but do more damage as a pyro, and it's also fun just to melt someones face with a bunch of rail shot procs.

I'd say that pvp becomes a lot more fun when you get decent gear. Being that you're low level I would research when the first tier of lowbie pvp gear becomes available and start buying them as your WZ commendations stack up. You should notice a difference.

Try pyrotech. I think I've topped the damage in every single warzone up to this point (level 26/valor 24). Numbers aren't that big yet, but there are a lot of them, usually getting quite close to 300k damage with 9-10 medals. I've leveled a sorc, an agent and a sentinel by pvping a lot, and have never felt quite this powerful this early on. Edited by Boissi

my only shieldtech experience was leveling 1-50. at 50 i respecced to Pyrotech (5/5/31) and started PvPing (mostly columi gear) and its really great. 5-6 medals a WZ, 300k+ damage...

i know OP was talking about pvp tanking but with dual spec coming you can try out different stuff (i guess?) and see how pvp tank and pvp dps work out for you.

You should have fun from 30-49. Then you hit 50 and it all goes to hell :(

Haha, ya I found that on my sorcerer. I'm trying to save up my tokens to buy level 50 gear to have a bit when I get there.

Thanks again for everyone's input. Very helpful.

at 50 i respecced to Pyrotech (5/5/31) and started PvPing (mostly columi gear) and its really great. 5-6 medals a WZ, 300k+ damage...

4/6/31 is a better spec. With the ease of getting 300k damage, I wonder if it is Powertech that is getting the nerf bat in patch 1.2

Played a Vanguard to level 50. (Mirror of Powertech.)

It is my favorite class to PvP on, ever.

Tried healing on a Scoundrel, DPS on a Sniper, Scoundrel, Mercenary, and small amount on a Jedi Guardian. But I have never done so well or have had as much fun as in my Vanguard.

I play as a very tank-oriented spec, so I don`t do a lot of damage, but I place a guard on a healer and it takes forever to take us down. The best medals I have ever gotten is 11, and best protection is 150K, and have reached Battlemaster on it.

The PvP experience starts to get better about level 30-40, where you get some really nice abilities to use.

I can tell you assassins tank spec dont use there get aways. My 50 sin tank spec does alot of objectives. In huttball is where it shines. The light armor is a joke so strait up tanking is very hit or miss. Our cool downs are good but you dont want to sprint off from your healer. I know if I was healing and saw that I wouldnt heal that guy any more. The stealth drop is the samething plus you drop the ball. As a dps sin they have more uses for survil.

My 33 powertech feels to much more well rounded. The trees also mesh better. By going AP spec getting hydraulic overload you just madeyour self a plate assassin. The defensive cooldowns arnt as good at times but a 15% gaurinteed heal vs boy I hope I got 3 harnessed darkness and its not interupted for 12%.

I also have a 36 jug that in tank spec is usless out side of ball hawling.

Now mind this is all pvp stuff not pve where it mostly equal