PVP Kindergarten

crowforwolf

OK, So recently I have had a ball at PVP, except Hutball which is just..., well I suck. And that's the point of this thread. I want to get better and have been reading tons of thread and trying to implement "best practices" but I swear I just suck. This is not a evaluation of me, just my playing skills and gear at the moment. And it is highlighted even more when everyone else does not suck and is wearing Odin's Armor +17 with platinum relic earings.

I got grief from one player post Hutball (my first and only match). He wsa right in what he was saying, but it made me reluctant to queue up again. So, with the beleif that practice makes perfect (or better)... Two questions:

Is there a place to PVP WZ with those of your level? This could be a server or a world I guess.

Can you remove Hutball from the types of WZ you want to join? I read alot about quiters who drop after the WZ starts for varies reasons and the practice seems frowned upon for obvious reasons. So, I don't want to quit once started, but if I could avoid it until I get better, that would be awesome.

Or is the answer, "Suck it up learn by fire you slug!"

Edited by crowforwolf

OK, So recently I have had a ball at PVP, except Hutball which is just..., well I suck. And that's the point of this thread. I want to get better and have been reading tons of thread and trying to implement "best practices" but I swear I just suck. This is not a evaluation of me, just my playing skills and gear at the moment. And it is highlighted even more when everyone else does not suck and is wearing Odin's Armor +17 with platinum relic earings.

I got grief from one player post Hutball (my first and only match). He wsa right in what he was saying, but it made me reluctant to queue up again. So, with the beleif that practice makes perfect (or better)... Two questions:

Is there a place to PVP WZ with those of your level? This could be a server or a world I guess.

Can you remove Hutball from the types of WZ you want to join? I read alot about quiters who drop after the WZ starts for varies reasons and the practice seems frowned upon for obvious reasons. So, I don't want to quit once started, but if I could avoid it until I get better, that would be awesome.

Or is the answer, "Suck it up learn by fire you slug!"

I always considered the 10-49 bracket the PvP kindergarten where you learn the ropes and mechanics of the matches with other people who may suck.

If you're already 50, unfortunately there's nowhere else for you to really learn how to play the warzones except for the warzones themselves.

Just out of curiosity, what are some of the issues you're having w/ Huttball in particular? The learning curve for that one is slightly steeper than "guard these turrets" or "guard these doors", so it's understandable that you don't pick it all up on the first try.

I think it wasn't until about the 3rd or 4th match for Huttball that I really felt that I understood what was going on, and not until the 20th or so did I feel like I was good at playing it.

Huttball can be intimidating at first, but given time it has become one of my favorite and most rewarding WZs to participate in.

First things first: 'Haters gonna hate'. Does that **** bag pay your monthly sub? No?? Then he can go to ****. As long as you follow the EULA, play as you like.

Having got that out of the way, Huttball requires more coordination and effort- more teamwork if you will, then the other two WZs. Don't let criticism intimidate you- the only real way to learn is to play the WZ until you're comfortable with it.

You should provide your class, and specific examples of what YOU think your weakness(es) are. That way other players can offer you tips.

The first few times I played, I didn't even know that there was a hotkey to throw the ball. Someone threw the ball to me in my first game, and I didn't know how to pass it away (as I was a sorc and getting focused). I drew the ire from the rest of my team, so I tabbed out of game and read the stickied thread (located in this particular forum) title,d "Huttball 101".

It helped, alot, but not as much as actually just playing the WZ over and over again.

I honestly came into this thread expecting a diatribe denouncing the state of pvp in the game. Cuz of the title.

But yeah best advice is watch huttball vids. I suggest checking out taugrim.com

He is an intelligent player and talks about what hes doing and why as he streams.

There is a great sticky at the top of the PVP forum that provides so really good insight into Huttball.

The first and best thing you can do to assist your team in Huttball is to key bind the "pass" action. Put it somewhere you can get to relatively quickly, i use the "x" key.

Now you are ready to start practicing passing. I have only very rarely seen someone rage at another player for passing (there are a few notable exceptions, like not passing to a player that is just about to die). Get used to looking for a good positional pass as soon as you get the ball... try to avoid looking to pass only when you are about to die, due to lag and other issues, this can be very problematic.

Good position can be subjective, but generally always be looking towards the goal line, try to avoid passing towards on coming enemy player mobs, and if you on a lower level of the playing field, always look to try and pass up onto a walk way or out of the death pit at either end of the field.

People will always complain in WZ's so just ignore them, I've been in WZ with a shadow that was just being an *** he would constantly tell people to stop Q'ing because they sucked ect. After the 4th WZ with this tool I decided to point out if he/she was so great why is it I haven't recieved a single guard from him/her in the 4 WZ we've been in and still managed to keep him up, he replied with "shadows don't have guard ... Duh" so it just goes to show that the people who whine generally have no idea.

As for Huttball .... I'd say trial by fire unfortunately, you need to play it to learn the paths ect. We can tell you here which way to go to get to the enemy side but unless your there doing it, it will just sound like jibberish.

Wow, thanks for the super fast replies. I decided to say screw that guy and try again, but with one of my alts. I got Alderan and we lost both, but I kinda hung back and watched before engaging.

To answer you questions, my main is a 17 shadow and second main is a 28 sorc. I kick *** in PVE with Khem, taking on way more than we can chew noramlly.

Specific problems I am having is:

A true understanding of the best order of skill use so they compliment and enhance each other. (I'm reading and trying some advice I found in the threads on this.)

Knowing the best thing to do. CC or DPS. I'm learning this is situational.

Gear. Well, I have read a TON on this the last few days and I swear, it seems like using green drops until 50, except where I have a few lucky orange drops with good mods I get off of GTN, is in the end going to save me a ton after all of the conversion factors between commendation types.

As far as Huttball, I think its the moving target and not memorizing the map yet. Also, not knowing how to use my skills to dump the nemy in the pit of acid mwahahahahaha.

Seriously I appreaciate all the responses. I did let that guy get under my skin, but that was silly. It's a game and I'm gonna go have fun, even if I look like Jim Carey in a Tu Tu doing it.

Edited by crowforwolf

Wow, thanks for the super fast replies. I decided to say screw that guy and try again, but with one of my alts. I got Alderan and we lost both, but I kinda hung back and watched before engaging.

To answer you questions, my main is a 17 shadow and second main is a 28 sorc. I kick *** in PVE with Khem, taking on way more than we can chew noramlly.

Specific problems I am having is:

A true understanding of the best order of skill use so they compliment and enhance each other. (I'm reading and trying some advice I found in the threads on this.)

Knowing the best thing to do. CC or DPS. I'm learning this is situational.

Gear. Well, I have read a TON on this the last few days and I swear, it seems like using green drops until 50, except where I have a few lucky orange drops with good mods I get off of GTN, is in the end going to save me a ton after all of the conversion factors between commendation types.

As far as Huttball, I think its the moving target and not memorizing the map yet. Also, not knowing how to use my skills to dump the nemy in the pit of acid mwahahahahaha.

Seriously I appreaciate all the responses. I did let that guy get under my skin, but that was silly. It's a game and I'm gonna go have fun, even if I look like Jim Carey in a Tu Tu doing it.

You definitely have the right attitude going for you, and that will honestly go a long way if you can hold onto that and not let other players get under your skin.

For Huttball, someone else mentioned checking out Taugrim.com, and I can also attest that there are some pretty decent Huttball tips in the videos there, especially if you are starting out. He's an excellent player and does a good job of taking the time to explain what he's doing.

Gear. I personally just used what I got through leveling and pvp until I hit 50. I was able to save up enough commendations (1000/1000) to open 6 bags as soon as I hit 50, and immediately replaced a chunk of my gear. About a week later, I had full Centurion w/ some Champion offpieces and weapon. I only did my Ilum daily once, along w/ the weekly, so I imagine you can probably do this even faster than I did if you're diligent. I think the only upgrades I bought were some lv49 armorings for my orange gear, and I got an epic barrel from doing space dailies and turning in the daily commendations on Ilum.

All in all, I think I only spent about 10k credits on gear at 50 before hitting full Centurion.

The rest of the stuff will come w/ practice, and learning the other classes and how to counter them. Things like when to dps, when to CC, etc. Unfortunately, the only real way to figure this stuff out is to continually fight against them, and supplement your experience by either talking to members of other classes, or visiting their forums and picking out the info from the complaints like you have been doing.