The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

My 7 year old asked....

Rohkai

God I wish Swtor had character creation like in City of Heroes/Villains. Now THAT was in depth creation.

That or STO. I'm sure there are many others that have better character creation than this one. Heck, the newest version of the Hero Engine has better options than we see now.

The current creator for SWTOR is a pile. :(

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

The simple answer for kids and stupid people:

If you could super jump then they would have to redesign the terrain to keep people from jumping over obstacles that are intended to limit where we can go or that prevents us from jumping to places the devs don't want us to get to.

Why this answer does not occur to so-called rational adults is mind-boggling.

Or they could of just designed the terrain with Force Jumping in mind to begin with.

Completely agree .. wonderful the mind of a child is ...

It may not work in the game mechanics during battle, but why not have this as an option when PVE or exploring.

Super jumps, more force powers, a decent long speed run boost.

I also had a simular arguement with a friend on why being this super powerful jedi I cannot use my force power to protect myself ... push/pull/block etc ... again may not be viable to be fair in PVP or FP/OPS but for general out of combat/PVE ... why not.

At the end of the day the setup of the characters wont allow it, in the movies/series Jedis are all powerful even vs an entire army cannot be scratched but in the game I feel just like another lowly non force user.

Its a shame.

Completely agree .. wonderful the mind of a child is ...

It may not work in the game mechanics during battle, but why not have this as an option when PVE or exploring.

Super jumps, more force powers, a decent long speed run boost.

I also had a simular arguement with a friend on why being this super powerful jedi I cannot use my force power to protect myself ... push/pull/block etc ... again may not be viable to be fair in PVP or FP/OPS but for general out of combat/PVE ... why not.

At the end of the day the setup of the characters wont allow it, in the movies/series Jedis are all powerful even vs an entire army cannot be scratched but in the game I feel just like another lowly non force user.

Its a shame.

The reason they don't allow this (as they don't allow flying) is that you have to build all the environments from the beginning with this is mind (collision, falling out of the world, access to all areas of the map, polygon budgets and draw issues because of increased viewing distance at greater height, level design problems with how to limit access to players who can now get over large obstacles etc. etc.) It's a design and production headache. Is that a good enough reason? No, IMHO. It is a scale decision made at the absolute beginning of pre-production, and an easy/lazy one. As a designer I have fought losing battles with that sort of thinking all my career.

It's about time design imperatives took precedence over production and art, and time the industry learned that is the way things need to be for games to be what they could be.

/end rant

Edited by kmontyw

Or they could of just designed the terrain with Force Jumping in mind to begin with.

Bloody brilliant bit of whining, that.

So you want the ceilings and any hanging bits from the ceiling to be twice as high as they are now? They don't optimize that upper clutter for movement so people would be getting stuck up there all the time if you had your way. You want even larger piles of rocks at borders they don't want us crossing?

This is not a game like CoH where everyone flies or superjumps, you really want to spend development time to deal with something that only a part of the player population would be doing, just so it looks cool?

Bloody brilliant bit of whining, that.

So you want the ceilings and any hanging bits from the ceiling to be twice as high as they are now? They don't optimize that upper clutter for movement so people would be getting stuck up there all the time if you had your way. You want even larger piles of rocks at borders they don't want us crossing?

This is not a game like CoH where everyone flies or superjumps, you really want to spend development time to deal with something that only a part of the player population would be doing, just so it looks cool?

Yes, they NEED to make ceilings twice as high because we can force jump.....

If they had started with the intentions of "People could have force jump" then they could of designed the maps from there. When you're indoors, it doesn't matter if you jump and hit the roof. Most of the ceilings are high enough to accommodate it, and those that aren't, oh well, you hit the roof and come back down. COH was designed with flying/jumping in mind, and so that's how they designed the maps. BW could of done the same from day 1. To say "it isn't in the game because they would need to redesign the maps" is a fallacy that could of been avoided. And even then, guess what, Blizz redid all their maps to accommodate flying mounts, so it is possible.

Because then, players would be able to reach areas they are not intended to.

Imagine if they had to go through all of the areas, and I mean ALL OF THEM, to make them Force Jump-proof.

And again, if they designed it that way from the beginning, there wouldn't of been a problem.

To be fair...

Double jumping was one of the first things I tried to do in the game. I was dissapointed I couldn't...

And yes, I've played other MMO's with a double jump.

Could have done something like a jetpack plast for BH/trooper, and gun shot for agent/smuggler.

So how is WoW the biggest MMO then if it has less then 20 million players?

It's not and never was. Most of the publicized statistics don't take into account Chinese and other Asian games, which easily surpass WoW and always have.

WoW *may* be the most profitable, though several Chinese MMO billionaires may disagree.

Edited by kmontyw