Why the Darkside Vastly more powerful than The Light

LordOfMassacre

A more useful quote.

Notice that he points out the self-defeating nature of the dark side, however.

That isnt the point of the thread, it isnt which force side has more pro's and con's. People in here were debating still after quotes were posted by lucas that the Dark side is more powerful...which it is.

• Replies 599
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That isnt the point of the thread, it isnt which force side has more pro's and con's. People in here were debating still after quotes were posted by lucas that the Dark side is more powerful...which it is.

First off, as mentioned before - go look up the Death of the Author.

Second, that which inevitably defeats itself isn't really powerful - it is ultimately powerless. Which makes, incidentally, that statement SELF contradictory, in addition to contradicting text and I'm fairly certain previous statements.

Agreed.

But it doesn't refute what he is stating, Word of God canon is that the Dark Side is more powerful, looks like we have ourselves an answer to that question.

I've still got to double check it, in part because I've heard some pretty questionable stuff in commentaries that are later corrected, added to, or so on.

Or just left as being wrong. It DOES happen. When WoG is contradictory, it has to be ignored. Actually, properly literary theory suggests that it should be ignored altogether in the first place, but that's beside the point.

Edited by Inarai

I've still got to double check it, in part because I've heard some pretty questionable stuff in commentaries that are later corrected, added to, or so on.

Or just left as being wrong. It DOES happen. When WoG is contradictory, it has to be ignored. Actually, properly literary theory suggests that it should be ignored altogether in the first place, but that's beside the point.

Well I certainly hope you can find a contradictory statement from Lucas, because I hate the idea that one side is more powerful than the other, light or dark, two different paths to the same power source yet one is clearly more powerful than the other? logic?

But hey, if this really is the single defining word of god statement from Lucas, none of our opinions really matter I suppose.

Well I certainly hope you can find a contradictory statement from Lucas, because I hate the idea that one side is more powerful than the other, light or dark, two different paths to the same power source yet one is clearly more powerful than the other? logic?

But hey, if this really is the single defining word of god statement from Lucas, none of our opinions really matter I suppose.

It's also an issue if it's contradictory to what's actually in the work.

It's also an issue if it's contradictory to what's actually in the work.

I'll get this inevitable statement out of the way before someone else posts it:

True, but one could argue Yoda's PoV isn't really the correct one.

See how many loopholes people jump through around here? it gives me a headache.

An argument which requires in-work counter-evidence to his perspective. Which they can't effectively provide.

If you can't tell, this argument has been done before and I am just stating what has been stated before:

But there are other perspectives all over the EU that claim otherwise.

He ended up being buried alive by the Emperor though, so his teachings couldn't have been very ground-breaking.

Sorry, I can't help but laugh that that.

That said, he doesn't have to be the pinnacle of his teachings for his teachings to have validity.

If you can't tell, this argument has been done before and I am just stating what has been stated before:

But there are other perspectives all over the EU that claim otherwise.

Which is in-setting but not in-work. It's a pretty flawed argument, is what I'm getting at.

Edited by Inarai

Sorry, I can't help but laugh that that.

That said, he doesn't have to be the pinnacle of his teachings for his teachings to have validity.

Funny thing is, those teachings as he described them, are exactly the same teachings (at the core at least) that the Jedi use.

(I chose the Dark Side option and destroyed them all, hope those 900+ years of waiting for someone were worth it.)

Funny thing is, those teachings as he described them, are exactly the same teachings (at the core at least) that the Jedi use.

(I chose the Dark Side option and destroyed them all, hope those 900+ years of waiting for someone were worth it.)

It's just... Was that "ground-breaking/buried alive" pun intentional? Because it's great.

I'll defend the idea of the darkside being generally stronger. When the light side does fight back and win, its always through covert ops like missions where a small group sabotages some device/ship/w.e and it some how always brings down everything.

Granted sw is non realistic I know...but it always seems the light side wins through some insane small chance, bs victory, when in reality they should have been taken down 50 times before they did w.e they did to win...just like every hero/spy movie.

When it comes to raw strength and raw intelligence, I'd argue the Sith have always have had the upper hand.

Even in times where there were few sith and they did coverts...like sid raising in the ranks of power, that was far more realistic and that made it all the more frighting.

Many are saying the LS wins because GL says so. I think they're misunderstanding either the OP or GL when defending his comments.

What GL ment was light will always prevail and whatnot with the whole good guy speech.

A tale of some hero or pure bla bla fighting against the ODDS and prevailing.

That being said, the darkside is far more powerful, thats what makes the lightsides victory so important and impacting.

Also, your incredibly wrong with your whole "Malgus is better than all jedi + Emperor is stronger than all sith so noone can kill emperor" THE FOLLOWING IS A MASSIVE SPOILER DONT CLICK IF YOU DONT WANNA SEE IT

The jedi knight kills the emperor in the act 3 questline. Surely this disproves your point -_-

No, in CHAPTER 3 you killed the Emperor's Voice, but due to your typical Jedi ignorance, arrogance and self-righteousness, you can't tell the difference.

Just as you can't tell the difference between a Chapter and an Act.

No, in CHAPTER 3 you killed the Emperor's Voice, but due to your typical Jedi ignorance, arrogance and self-righteousness, you can't tell the difference.

Just as you can't tell the difference between a Chapter and an Act.

it make no sense that would be emperor voice since scourge saw him laying on ground and would have told jedi knight "that not the emperor THAT the emperor voice you idiot"!

it make no sense that would be emperor voice since scourge saw him laying on ground and would have told jedi knight "that not the emperor THAT the emperor voice you idiot"!

If you were an evil overlord with the ability to use the bodies of others as your eyes, ears, mouth, and in any other way you want... Would anyone EVER see the real version of you?

If you were an evil overlord with the ability to use the bodies of others as your eyes, ears, mouth, and in any other way you want... Would anyone EVER see the real version of you?

are you telling me the emperor wrath the right hand of the emperor who spend 300 years with the emperor does not know the emperor tricks?

in fact it was the main reason scourge betrayed revan and the exile he wanted to study the emperor and learn everything about him and he knows how the emperors looks like and his powers.

in fact the message was send to sith warrior gave us hint that hand of the emperor is lying.

Edited by undeadsithdread

The best example of the Darkside being stronger can be seen in this game,

Shatela shan the Grand Master of the Jedi Order and perhaps the strongest jedi in THIS era nearly got killed by Darth Malgus in the trailer Returned. She only survived by a saber throw from her MAster and even then Darth Malgus slaughters her MAster and His own by himself

ROund two: the trailer HOPE

Darth Malgus is blown to hell from a persistant trooper, despite this he severs statela shans saber and nearly kills her. Hes then blown up again and finally defeated but survives.

Now Darth Malgus was a powerful Sithlord for sure but pales in comparison to Darth Viatate the Emperor Who crushed and absored a planet of Sithlords and achieved Immortality.

IF Darth Malgus has proven to be more powerful than the Greatets Jedi in this era, What comparion can there be when Malgus is nothing to the Most powerful SITH, the Emperor?

Thus the Darkside is STONGER.

The Darkside IS STRONGER, the only disagreements are from fan boys or players who are mad they choose a jedi.

Darth Sion was immortal he could not die in battle, the only way he was defeated was to be convinced to let go of his pain.

NO JEDI EVER had such a power.

Darth Nihiliuos DEVOURED ENTIRE frackin planets, he devoured thousands of jedi without even needing to draw his lightsaber. he was only defeated for his "connection" or love for his apprentice, in other words his last straw of humanity. He was the Dark Side made manifest.

NO JEDI EVER came close to such a power

Darth Revan a Jedi Master turned to the Dark Side and became MORE POWERFUL, had he remained a Jedi he would be too weak and indeed the republic would have remained too weak too resist the madalorians or the True Sith Empire.

Lastly look at all the fights in the movies,

Darth Maul is taken down by TWO jedis, and he kills one

Darth Sidious kills three Jedi Masters and draws with Mace although it can be argued he lost its very obvious it was a ruse to turn Anakin to the Dark Side.

Count Dooku defeats anakin and obi wan and holds his own againt yoda,

It then takes a much more experence obi wan and anakin to beat him and ONLY after anakin used his anger (darkside) to overwhelm him.

Quoting Yoda that its more seductive but equal is not accurate as he was a champion of the Light, Had he admited it was stronger Luke would probally just joined his Father and Ruled the Galaxy as Father and Son.

Jedi have temptation to go towards the Darkside because ite more powerful, Do Sith Lords have any such temptation to learn from the Light? No because they are more powerful and do not require inferior and weaker arts.

Looks like the Dark Side needs to learn how to use grammar properly, how to use proper capitalization and learn how to spell properly. This entire post just disproved the saying "Evil will always win because good is dumb."

Edited by Kalistar

Of course, Sidious was also broke the Rule of Two.

No he didn't. Maul was not considered a true apprentice, even in the Darth Plageuis book. Plageuis called him an assassin not an apprentice.

And Ventriss wasn't Dooku's Apprentice. Yes he taught her, but she begged him multiple times to make her a true apprentice.

And Grevious wasn't even a force user.

Vader broke the RO2 but that was after the RO2 was pretty much over. Sidious had achieved the ultimate goal of destroying the Republic and the Jedi and ruling the galaxy.