Level 28 -- Getting pwned in PvP

ZeusThunder

I've found that leveling a melee dps class is much harder now than it was when game first released. My first toon was a vanguard and now I'm trying to level a powertech.

Does anyone have any suggestions for me leveling through PvP as a melee dps? It feels like I'm just so squishy and dying so fast. With my main, Ironfist build, even if I have 3 on me I stay alive long enough to where I'm not just dying through the duration of one stun.

Can any lowbie powertechs out there offer me some advice? Thanks.

AP spec worked like a charm for me as it is not actually melee spec, instead i would call it mid-range spec (10m for most skills). More levels you get more awesome that spec becomes, and most "pure" melee spec can be pretty much kited to death.

Not everyone like AP spec as it doesnt give "big numbers" but with raight hands it will make enemies rage as you become pain in arse, also use shield instead generator so healers will start to love you and it gives extra survivability.

Currently using 10/31/0 support spec for maximun annoyance

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#301GorZrsrrobckds.1

Note that i took debuff talents from ST so i can reduce overall DMG income for whole team (FS makes it AoE debuff) and on-demand snare to help out lil bit ball carriers life (if im not the one carrying it).

PS: If you have pocket healer you become walking nightmare for opposing team. ;)

Have a currently 33 PT, most of the pvp success depends on my team though.

There have been times I got totally owned over and over for like 2 medals. But also time with 6-7. Key is to use all your tools and work the objectives though.

For instance at lvl 29, I pop into a voidstar, first thing I see are a healer sorc and a healer merc. Imediately I'm thinking 'those are my guard targets'. And thats what happened. They stood in middle healing whoever on either side. I kept them guarded covering the doors up close and personal and would get some heals from them. Ended that fight with about 125k damage and 60k protection, nothing too high there, but was still 8 medals and was 1st overall on the chart. Got some objective points in there too was the key.

I run a mostly shield tech spec with the AP damage buffs in the first and second tier. The build will play FAR better once I have jet charge too.

But bottom line, always play your strengths, and honestly playing tank is probably best at low level because you never compare with higher dps, but you easily build up protection points if you oH attention to it, which most don't.

Edited by MartyrLXXVII

I'm level 30, ran ST spec for most of my levels in PvP and PvE, but switched it up to Pyro at 25 and am having a blast. The trick is to get into 1v1 situations. Or at least 1v2 with the second enemy able to be stunned or kited, etc.

Don't pick on level 40 tanks. Just don't do it. Takes too long to wail on em. And they have more tricks up their sleeves.

I use grapple alot to 'force' 1v1. Use it on people who I see are already 'combat fatigued' (low on energy, missing some health, blown cooldowns, etc.).

Finally, gear must be tip top shape. That means your oranges have top level mods on 'em and your greens are, well purple.

I have found PT to be the most sustainable PvP class, and Pyro to be worth the lack of ST defense, as many of the attacks that come on you are Force or Tech anyway and your armor and shield are not blocking too much of that damage. Perhaps with some lowbies they do, but not with the 40s.

PS - my build at level 30 is http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#301ZZfhbrzGo.1

Let me tell you that Flame Burst, Rocket Punch and Railshot are forever your friends. Also don't underestimate the power of a Flamethrower crit at close range. Stay MOBILE. Do not sit in one space and spam your range ... this spec is about close-quarters and burning your enemies to death. GL

I ran ST spec from 1-50 (and still ST) and from lvl 30 I could start carrying Huttball games on my own. Ofc it all depends on what people you're with and against, but in 9/10 games I could take advantage of all the clueless players to easily ninja cap over and over. Voidstar/Civil War was a bit different though, since then I was mostly focusing on defending as much damage as possible which is really frustrating without a healer, and there wasn't many of 'em when I leveled my PT.

I use grapple alot to 'force' 1v1. Use it on people who I see are already 'combat fatigued' (low on energy, missing some health, blown cooldowns, etc.)

Aww cmon fight fair will ya? :rolleyes:

Wheres the fun peeling free kills? pick a full health tank while you have half HP bar left for maximum challenge.

I have had amazing success in PvP on my PT and he is only like level 26, it may help that I already have a 50 Merc so I am familiar with *some* of the skills and when to use them in PvP but I am always top medals, top damage, and top protection in every match I have played so far with just average gear from leveling. I always make sure I am protecting someone, using taunt to reduce the damage the enemy is doing to all of my team, taunt should always be on cooldown. I am a Pyro spec btw but still use IGC for PvP even though I am not specced that way at all at this point. In my opinion even as a pyro spec you should have IGC on for the extra defense alone makes you a lot tougher to kill. Edited by Oxydol

I have had amazing success in PvP on my PT and he is only like level 26, it may help that I already have a 50 Merc so I am familiar with *some* of the skills and when to use them in PvP but I am always top medals, top damage, and top protection in every match I have played so far with just average gear from leveling. I always make sure I am protecting someone, using taunt to reduce the damage the enemy is doing to all of my team, taunt should always be on cooldown. I am a Pyro spec btw but still use IGC for PvP even though I am not specced that way at all at this point. In my opinion even as a pyro spec you should have IGC on for the extra defense alone makes you a lot tougher to kill.

I had much the same experience from 10-49 on my BH, it was always in the top 3 for damage/kills (usually top) while mostly just going after the objectives and trying to play the actual matches. I assumed it was just a fluke when BH was so awesome at lv10, but it lasted until I dinged 50 in Voidstar.

Lots of fun.

I was hybrid 2/21/18 (using CGC and taunts) while leveling.

I have had amazing success in PvP on my PT and he is only like level 26, it may help that I already have a 50 Merc so I am familiar with *some* of the skills and when to use them in PvP but I am always top medals, top damage, and top protection in every match I have played so far with just average gear from leveling. I always make sure I am protecting someone, using taunt to reduce the damage the enemy is doing to all of my team, taunt should always be on cooldown. I am a Pyro spec btw but still use IGC for PvP even though I am not specced that way at all at this point. In my opinion even as a pyro spec you should have IGC on for the extra defense alone makes you a lot tougher to kill.

Don't doubt your success at all, not flaming, but as Pyro you get way too much benefit from CGC, Superheated Rail and burning-refreshes, I think running w IGC is a big waste of dps that could be the difference between killing the ball carrier, capping a turret, or getting one more medal of valor. Of course if you need defense medals I suppose you could run with IGC for the first few fights of a match, but I don't typically run for medals, I run for fun.

Just sayin' you're hugely gimping your build as Pyro running out of the Combustible cylinder. To each their own I guess.

Aww cmon fight fair will ya? :rolleyes:

Wheres the fun peeling free kills? pick a full health tank while you have half HP bar left for maximum challenge.

As a pyro, that works very well too. The tanks armor is about ignored by half your attacks, and you can kite them in 10m range very well. I've had quite a few fights with juggernauts and marauders where I peeled them off a healer when I have half HP, and win :)

You want a challenge, go jump an assassin

Spec Pyro while you level and do lowbie PvP imo. 3 points in Prototype Particle Accelerator = win. Some of these other builds like Iron Fist and Carolina Parakeet don't seem to really shine until late in the leveling process based on the talents you need to have.