This game feels like a console port

Gankdalf_

Before you all cry and chip in with LOL SWTOR IS NOT OUT ON CONSOLES LOL, yes I know that but my years of experience playing games tells me there is something terribly wrong with this game engine, it has "I was used in a console game" written all over it.

For instance I can not rebind the "\" key which is a disgrace tbh. Also the frame rate inside caves and buildings is so bad I actually did laugh out loud. It's not a PC spec issue as I run an i5 with all the trimmings, besides if you visit the tech support forum you will see hundreds of posts from people with i7's and huge graphics cards with the same issue, it's an engine problem.

So yeah great launch there Bioware, all these years in the making and no one notices the pathetic FPS? I don't buy that, I think you are well aware of it but your engine can't do anything about it. :o

Not as bad as DCUO.... :rolleyes:

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I have an i7 950, GTX 570 OC 1.25GB and 6GB DDR3 and I get dips to 30 all the time. There is something wrong with the engine...its poorly optimised. Why do you think AA isn't available yet? Because the engine is unstable and cant handle it and it will probably drop fps on even the best rigs.

I spent close to £1000 on my computer earlier in the year and haven't had any issues with it yet with any game. I'm having to spend another £500 already to upgrade it to run a game it shouldn't have a problem with. Its kind of annoying.

Don't get me wrong though the game is great and lots of fun...I just hope this gets sorted. Going from stable 59-60 (vsync) to 30 randomly isn't on.

Edited by Pingor

Trolls, cave... See the connection?? hahhaa

Aside humouring my friend here, i have to admit that i too had some issues in beta but its largelly improved and plays 25+ at worst.

With a Core2Duo running at 3.45 plus an Asus GTX580, i expected more ofcourse, but hell, the truth is the game AINT really optimized and only playes *flawlessly* on a high end systems. Which imo, the graphic quality doesnt justifty the need for that much of a juice.

Before you all cry and chip in with LOL SWTOR IS NOT OUT ON CONSOLES LOL, yes I know that but my years of experience playing games tells me there is something terribly wrong with this game engine, it has "I was used in a console game" written all over it.

For instance I can not rebind the "\" key which is a disgrace tbh. Also the frame rate inside caves and buildings is so bad I actually did laugh out loud. It's not a PC spec issue as I run an i5 with all the trimmings, besides if you visit the tech support forum you will see hundreds of posts from people with i7's and huge graphics cards with the same issue, it's an engine problem.

So yeah great launch there Bioware, all these years in the making and no one notices the pathetic FPS? I don't buy that, I think you are well aware of it but your engine can't do anything about it. :o

no its not its your connection speed dont blame bioware

im currenlly getting an avarage of 160 to 170 fps

running an amd chip

I have an i7 950, GTX 570 OC 1.25GB and 6GB DDR3 and I get dips to 30 all the time. There is something wrong with the engine...its poorly optimised. Why do you think AA isn't available yet? Because the engine is unstable and cant handle it and it will probably drop fps on even the best rigs.

I spent close to £1000 on my computer earlier in the year and haven't had any issues with it yet with any game. I'm having to spend another £500 already to upgrade it to run a game it shouldn't have a problem with. Its kind of annoying.

Don't get me wrong though the game is great and lots of fun...I just hope this gets sorted. Going from stable 59-60 (vsync) to 30 randomly isn't on.

it has nothing to do with your computer

its your ping rate that causing the problem

What keyboard layout do you have?

Standard US Layout has \ on the right-hand side above the enter key. Don't know about others.

edit: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:KB_United_States-NoAltGr.svg

European keyboards have the \ on the left, where the US has the \ we have instead an enlarged enter key. Some countries not using the '\' e.g. Spain have <> in it's place.

Edited by Aedgyth

Firstly the \ key is on the left side, you must be thinking about the / key.

Secondly I don.t use integrated graphics

Thirdly it is by far the most common issue on the support forums, literally hundreds of them, go see the specs.

Now am not saying you are all fan boy liars but the hard fact is there is a serious FPS issue with this game engine, it was there in beta and is still there in launch. Bioware have know about this for ages and it's not fixed, that tells me they can't fix it.

Alt + gives you "\". It is on the right side of my keyboard, three buttons from enter. You mad?

Ok I came to discuss this but it's not happening. I have shown conclusive proof that this is not a driver issue, not a crappy PC issue but it is a game issue.

Fan boys will be fan boys I guess but once Bioware release a patch that addresses this issue I will be bumping this thread with a big I TOLD YOU SO smiling face on it.

Cu in game....hope not though.

Where is the evidence ?

Lots and lots of people have 0 problems.

so that is evidence that there is 0 problem woth the enigne then.

My frame rate drops in weird places, before I turned of the Shader, I was at around 17 max roaming, and about 4fps in buildings/caves. I turned that off and I get around 40+ with all low. My graphics card is junk which I am upgrading in the spring.

I mean, look at this card (Well, read the specs) AMD Radeon™ HD 6450 512MB DDR3. I am also gonna upgrade my ram from 8GB to about 12 or 14GB. Not sure if my processor is an issue though (2.7Ghz Six Core) You guys tell me? My system is pretty good, just the Graphics card murders it.

Edited by Aisubeki

Not reading 10 pages, but if you're still here OP:

I program games (yeah, I know - so does everyone else apparently) and there is nothing console port about a game engine - you need to use almost an entirely different codebase between systems (well, not entirely true with XBox vs Windows PC, but the XBox practially is a Windows PC, except not =P). Some 'engines' do support mutiple platforms, but you'd be as well thinking of them as seperate engines integrated into one conveinient high-level IDE.

Where you do get evidence of console port is in GAME DESIGN, where instead of redesigning (mostly) the UI and mechanics between a port from one system to the next, the design is recycled and the codemonkeys simply translate the code. That's cheaper, quicker and, unless you are literally hiring monkeys, usually has an insignificant impact on anything performance related.

Now, the Hero engine SWTOR is built was specifically designed for MMORPGS and, to my knowledge, has never been used an any other platform than PC (not that you could use it on any other platform). There are lots of folks who don't like the engine and think it is clunky and resource hungry, but that's quite a different thing that has nothing to do with PS3s.

For SWTOR in particular, last time I checked the UI was designed with a mouse in mind and the gameplay mechanics didn't require a joypad. That leads me to:

tldr;

No.

I posted a perfectly good post about my thoughts on this game, it felt like a console port, like Dead Island, a game that was poorly optomised for the PC, key bind issues and poor fps are tell tale signs of a console port. I know this is not one but it just felt like it, get over the fact I am pointing out a serious fault in the game. :o

Wait what? My FPS in Dead Island was constantly at 60 aswell.

You've got major problems sir.