Server maintenance times - a Thank-You from Europe

Mephane

I've had it in other MMOs with worldwide coordinated maintenance that they often put the maintenance during US off hours, but right into the Europe prime time (like 7 PM GMT).

Looking at these times I am very grateful that you have chosen a time that is more appropriate and starts in the morning (8 AM GMT), when most people are either at work/school or still sleeping on the weekend anyway.

While the end-of-EGA maintenance is a bit at a different time, this is understandable as a one-time-event, but the two other maintenance times which are identical hint at what will probably become a regular schedule:

(2AM CST (12AM PST/3AM EST/8AM GMT/9AM CET)

I think this is a fair compromise to catch neither North America nor Europe during peak hours.

P.S.: Not sure what this means for Oceanian players, someone from there may please comment on that.

Edited by Mephane

Maintenance hours should be based on where the servers are located IMO

EU and NA Servers should not have the same Maintenance times.

I live in the US and think it's a bit of a travesty that maintenance in other MMO's cuts directly into primetime for EU gamers.

Do things Different Bioware. Raise the Bar further :)

Great Game BTW, Loving it TY

On a personal note I think it sucks. I tend to play for a solid hour or so in the mornings before work around 4:30 AM to 5:30 AM EST (GMT-5). This plops their maintenance window right in the middle of my playing every week. We can only hope that they get better and more importantly, faster, at maintenance so it stops getting in the way. :mad:

Can't please everyone I guess... 2 out of 3 isn't too bad though.

Doing server maintenance on a few servers at a time would be close to pleasing everyone. If they had a schedule for individual servers, you could choose a server where the maintenance schedule suits you best.

Then again, that would only work for updates that are server-side only, since it wouldn't be very good to juggle two versioins of a client. But still... it would have worked for this update.

anyone else also noticed how they sneakishly changed from 2 hours to 4+ hours maintenance ? ^^

anyway, bioware, dont be shy to copy this from WoW as well (i dont mind that you copy the stuff that works) and use their schedules. I.e. 3 AM in the morning in each server zone ( guess thats CST and CET).

Hope its special today and not an example of things to come :)

Doing server maintenance on a few servers at a time would be close to pleasing everyone. If they had a schedule for individual servers, you could choose a server where the maintenance schedule suits you best.

Then again, that would only work for updates that are server-side only, since it wouldn't be very good to juggle two versioins of a client. But still... it would have worked for this update.

I think that is the underlying issue. Since they (gladly) have not separated their server zones by different account types (like WoW, different game keys for US and Europe servers), that also means both need to be in the same state in terms of patching etc.

Since I planned a day off weeks ago to make this day "early access SWTOR day", I am of course dissapointed that I am not able to play until around 13u00 (Europe - GMT+1).

Especially since I have to leave for an appointment at 15u00.

Hope that, starting from 20/12, scheduled dowtime for Europe won't be the same than the US.

BUT for the playtime I experienced since 13/12: Loving the game ;-).

Personally I don't think it's a great time and would like to see EU servers get EU maintenance times a the equivalent in GMT or GMT+1 to the the times they get their maintenance on the NA servers. So if they get it at 2am CST that we get it at 2am GMT.

It also seems fairly evident the Oceanic region need one timezone picking in their area too to make maintenance at more convenient times for it's player base. Although at present they dont' have their own servers so it's not possible.

I've clearly been spoilt in previous MMOs where they recognised different regions and their needs.

Edited to add - love the game ofc :D

Edited by Xerda

Maintenance hours should be based on where the servers are located IMO

EU and NA Servers should not have the same Maintenance times.

I live in the US and think it's a bit of a travesty that maintenance in other MMO's cuts directly into primetime for EU gamers.

Do things Different Bioware. Raise the Bar further :)

Great Game BTW, Loving it TY

Theres no bar to raise, only to be on par with others.

Well anyway something should be done. I'm far from complaining about it, but actually today it hits my day of from work. I guess bad luck.

But having separate periods for maintenance would be a appreciated. And even if servers are connected you still can turn off one specific, so I don't see any problem to switch off European, Oceanic and American in different time frame and perform 3 maintenances for those zones.

I understand it makes people working at Bioware to have more at their hands and don't make it easier, but in this situation I feel its better to hear out customer expectations, not force yours upon them.

After all it's those customers you guys want to keep, and showing a bit of good will, even if it will cost you a bit more time and work, would be really nice and could set for future relations.

After all majority of people here came from other mmo's and we all used to some standards set by games we played. It's hard to undo what we are used too and what's convenient for us as customers.

So Bio come on hear us out I see it's not first topic about that.

Peace

Yup, the maintenance is set at the right time for most of EU players. I m living in France and people are working between 09h00 and 13h00. Only jobless people are annoyed by the mainteance.

Jobless how naive - lol

And those that work shifts - in hospitals, fire and police stations and numerous other shift based workplaces :rolleyes:

I dont know , im not expert, and not sure what all goes on all the time during maintenance, but I am sure they probably do update the client on their side ect......

seems to me to stagger the maintenance would be a huge pain in the neck and a lot more work to coordinate all this , so im sure its probably easier to shut them all down, do the update , and start them all over....but what do I know im just a gamer not a game developper.