The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Vanguard is amazing!

ITIATT

Were they in a coma? With the nurses just rolling Sorcs and Mercs around in hospital beds, banging into walls?

Because 211k is high, yea. But 58-6 is insane at any level, any class.

I can't even get that high on my Sniper, exclusively targeting low-armor/squishy-looking characters.

You made me LMAO!

yeah man, there's not enough around yet for an outcry for nerfs, but vanguards/powertechs do wayy too much burst for normal pvp encounters lol, take advantage of it

I find that we do near equal damage to Sentinel, but lack all the "I'm not dead yet" buttons. We get compensated for it in the form of a steadier damage line when we have to hit something with armor and shield and a bit longer range.

If we are OP than Sentinel are OP.

Yeah, I don't know about this one. At level 10 you have no taunt, guard, or interrupt. No stun, sprint, or reactive shield. No ion cell. No gap closers. 211k dmg is hard enough to believe, but at least you have most of the basic dmg attacks that Vanguards do. But with none of the tools listed above, going 58-6 (or whatever the number was) would be virtually impossible unless 90% of the other team were lagged and just standing still. Screenshot or it didn't happen.

So you were getting carried by a team that totally dominated the enemy, probably in a voidstar where you defended the first set of doors the entire match duration, and basically did nothing but spam aoes on cooldown. And you were geared in oranges.

I can totally believe damage like that in that situation.

that one is strange. most of the PVP's I do a few DPSers may sniff the 200k mark but most of the time only 1 or 2 eclipse it, and it's never a lowbie.

call me too suspicious but I need a screen shot for me to believe a lvl 10 Vangaurd pulled over 200k first time and 58-6.

then let me know what server you're on cause i'm leveling my next toon there.... :D

200k is rare in the under 49 bracket? Don't tell the jekkjekktar server that. I have broken 380k on voidstar, 360k on huttball, a few times, and there are always a few folks well over 200k every match that isn't a blow out. And yes, this is the below 50 bracket. I'll get some screeenshots later today if you want em.

Its very possible, people don't understand the bolster system and how it works a lvl 10 gets a serious stat advantage just roll up a lvl 10 and join a PVP match my sniper had like 50% DR, 30%+ crit chance and 70%+ surge rating at lvl 10.

The bolster system is not just a simple increase to your health pool and max ranks on your current abilities, there are hidden bonuses given the lower lvl you are they slowly go away as you lvl and if you don't keep your gear up to date a lvl 10 can easily outclass a lvl 40+ in poor gear.

200k is rare in the under 49 bracket? Don't tell the jekkjekktar server that. I have broken 380k on voidstar, 360k on huttball, a few times, and there are always a few folks well over 200k every match that isn't a blow out. And yes, this is the below 50 bracket. I'll get some screeenshots later today if you want em.

hot damn i'm switching to your server! :D

Its very possible, people don't understand the bolster system and how it works a lvl 10 gets a serious stat advantage just roll up a lvl 10 and join a PVP match my sniper had like 50% DR, 30%+ crit chance and 70%+ surge rating at lvl 10.

The bolster system is not just a simple increase to your health pool and max ranks on your current abilities, there are hidden bonuses given the lower lvl you are they slowly go away as you lvl and if you don't keep your gear up to date a lvl 10 can easily outclass a lvl 40+ in poor gear.

Hmm, well it's an overall thing on Jedi Covenent in my experience. Nobody goes much over 200k and I don't think I've seen a 300k plus ever. I usually pull 150k on the low end to 195k on the high end and am always top 5 in damage with those stats. OFten top 3.

That is not to say it doesn't happen on my server. It may just be the times I play, but I play enough that I get the general sense of things.

I have been annoyed by lower level opponents before doing seemingly crazy damage to me, and I have 40lvl PVP gear with half purple mods/enhancers and purple implants all around.

This may just be a case of server playstyle. Very interesting. Wonder what's behind it. That would be an interesting study to look at. But if it happens in more than just 1 place then I have to agree it happens.

This may just be a case of server playstyle. Very interesting. Wonder what's behind it. That would be an interesting study to look at. But if it happens in more than just 1 place then I have to agree it happens.

Yeah I have pulled over 200k+ on my gunslinger alt in just about every single WZ from lvl 10-17 doing strictly PVP, but my guy is weaker at lvl 17 then at lvl 10 my crit rating dropped super quick to something like 19% my DR is now at around 25-30% and surge has dropped under 70% so those bonuses are slowly getting smaller every time I lvl up.

Yeah I have pulled over 200k+ on my gunslinger alt in just about every single WZ from lvl 10-17 doing strictly PVP, but my guy is weaker at lvl 17 then at lvl 10 my crit rating dropped super quick to something like 19% my DR is now at around 25-30% and surge has dropped under 70% so those bonuses are slowly getting smaller every time I lvl up.

Wonder if the bonuses have always been there. When I first got my toon up through the teens in PVP they hadn't yet bracketed out the Lvl 50's. So needless to say i died alot, and very quickly...

I've started a couple more including another trooper.. i'll have to pay close attention what they can do.

that one is strange. most of the PVP's I do a few DPSers may sniff the 200k mark but most of the time only 1 or 2 eclipse it, and it's never a lowbie.

call me too suspicious but I need a screen shot for me to believe a lvl 10 Vangaurd pulled over 200k first time and 58-6.

then let me know what server you're on cause i'm leveling my next toon there.... :D

not lvl 10 im 22 here i think on my first vanguard

http://imageshack.us/f/856/screenshot2012022320004.jpg/

and my new Vanguard i rolled on the Aussie servers only lvl 20 [this match was about 2hrs ago lol]

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/94/screenshot2012030414530.jpg/

not lvl 10 im 22 here i think on my first vanguard

http://imageshack.us/f/856/screenshot2012022320004.jpg/

and my new Vanguard i rolled on the Aussie servers only lvl 20 [this match was about 2hrs ago lol]

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/94/screenshot2012030414530.jpg/

Your first screenshot is more in line with what i see on my server. But it's usually not a trooper who has the high DPS (usually 230k-ish)

Nice job on that one by the way.

But like I said I never see on my server what some people are describing with guys topping 300k as lowbies and lots of guys topping 200k easily.

Do you play a SS or an Assault trooper? I suppose it could be as simple an explanation that we just have more SS troopers in our WZ's than other servers. I'm SS so DPS is not full bore.

Really not seeing how you guys are pulling those kinds of numbers. Can you please elaborate on what you're doing? Any kind of rotation? Do you try to do most of your damage at range? Are you teaming with a healer?

(I'm level 23, and in almost the full PVP set, and I consider breaking 100K to be "good".)

While I'm usually paying attention to objectives and throwing out guards and taunts, I'm sure that's lowering my damage. But still my damage feels too low compared to what you guys are saying. Do you just try to AOE whenever possible?

What I tend to do is pinpoint players like snipers or healers and keep them busy so they can't help their team, so I'm guessing that's what's making my damage so low?

Also do you take extra care to avoid dying in order to get those numbers, or have good healers? I find that as a vanguard that fights in close range, I'm usually getting focus-fired and die more than the average player, so I'm not sure how you'd stay alive long enough to pull 250K+...

Edited by Stenrik

Really not seeing how you guys are pulling those kinds of numbers. Can you please elaborate on what you're doing? Any kind of rotation? Do you try to do most of your damage at range? Are you teaming with a healer?

(I'm level 23, and in almost the full PVP set, and I consider breaking 100K to be "good".)

While I'm usually paying attention to objectives and throwing out guards and taunts, I'm sure that's lowering my damage. But still my damage feels too low compared to what you guys are saying. Do you just try to AOE whenever possible?

What I tend to do is pinpoint players like snipers or healers and keep them busy so they can't help their team, so I'm guessing that's what's making my damage so low?

Also do you take extra care to avoid dying in order to get those numbers, or have good healers? I find that as a vanguard that fights in close range, I'm usually getting focus-fired and die more than the average player, so I'm not sure how you'd stay alive long enough to pull 250K+...

Your experience seems more in line with mine. And in my experience the number of times you die doesn't have that much of an effect on overall numbers. if you are using gaurd alot and don't have a full time healer with you it stands to reason you'll die more quickly.

While the high damage numbers are impressive what you should be focusing on is your overall package which the number of medals you pull is more indicative of. And medals are the most important factor in the comm's you are awarded, which means the faster you can buy new gear.

Wins are more important than high damage as well. I'd take 100k damage with a ton of protection points and a win over high damage with low protection and a loss any day.

Besides there are really only 2 medals for damage at your level, 75K and 300K. If you focus solely on damage you could net the 300K medal. But probably at the expense of protection. Sooo, in other words 250k in terms of medals is the same as 75k.

You should be able to get the Quickdraw (killing blow), combatant (75k damage), Defender (1k defender points), Assassin (killing 1 on 1), Shield (5k protection), Gaurdian (2k protection in 1 life), Commando (10 kills) on a pretty regular basis. That's 7 medals. And whether you get 80k damage or 250k damage nothing will change medal-wise.

What I am not clear on is the effect of damage on credit and XP awards, but I think that's highly dependent on your win or loss. Anybody know the mechanics of that?

But for me personally. I'm after comm's for teh gear. Credits and XP are nice, but even on the low end you get enough to make it worth it.

Edited by Cheeseblaster

Playing a lowbie Vanguard right now (lvl15).

Doing almost all WZ's (already did the pve thing with my main), and I think I came 2nd once in dmg done - 1st the rest of the time. It's just a case of being able to kite - it means you're *ALWAYS* doing damage and almost always the last to drop, giving you more uptime to do damge.

I often do over 200k, have hit 250k (never 300k though!).. All I do is open with sticky grenade, spam hammer-shot, HIB every time it's up, when safe, move in close for stockstrike/ion-pulse (but have to watch ammo). When keeping at range, I always try to stay at maximum range - so don't really use full-auto as they often go out of range. Also only really use mortar barrage to interrupt caps. Always move, move and move again.

Love it when people complain about lowbies losing their WZ for them - then you get to grind their noses in it when you out-score them in every department by a LOT.

Edited by Lemmy_DB