Solving the rage quitting problem

EduardoJN

Instead of punishing ppl (which, IMO, will enrage the players...hello......unsubscribe??), why not reward the player for actually playing, even if he loses?

The 10-49 bracket is working fine as far as i have seen, very balanced and cool to play, but the dirt hits the fan when u reach 50.

When you hit 50, all that matters is to complete the weekly/daily to get the freaking pvp gear, and also achieve Battlemaster status, right?

But when u decide that only the winning side will collect the really good rewards and advance, ppl quit, its simple.

If you enter a match that is doomed and u NEED TO WIN to get you gear, u will quit....am i lying here? Have u guys done that before?

Im asking cuz i have.

So, why not reward the EFFORT to remain in the game and fight?

Lets say, making 2 or 3 losses complete 1 daily? (2/3 losses equals 1 win only, i mean)

Or givin something for u (daily/valor/etc) for falling in combat/causing some damage on Illum, rather than having to win all the time against a freaking zerg army?

If the player feels that his effort, even if he lose, is worth something (maybe not the same as the winning side, but something), he will stay and the raging quitting will hopefully stop.

But when the reward goes only to the winner and leaves the guy who lost (but stayed until the very end) with a bitter taste on his mouth, the games turns into a pain in the back.

Everybody loves to win, there are ppl who dont like to lose...i know....but despite these ppl, IMO, this game lacks that feeling that your time spent in pvp is worth something, specially on the losing side.

Quitting is bad, to both sides....its ruins pvp and make things boring; so please, i hope u guys from Bioware dont choose to punish ppl, but instead make them feel respected while playing.

Edited by EduardoJN

I think people have a lot of reasons for quitting. I actually enjoy pvp and if it's a decent match I'll stay even if we are losing. But if the game is hopeless and their is nothing I can do to get any teamwork going, I will likely leave. I don't think I should be punished for that.

Oh good, I can pull out a penny and jam it into my forward key t oget my dailies done.

Suit yourself, if that entertains you.

But in that case, i guess its your mentality that needs fixing...and im afraid the devs cant provide that.

Edited by EduardoJN

While I agree that punishing leaving games is not a good solution by any standard, it is almost inevitable, unless the whole warzone system changes. Or people's mentality changes. As that is unlikely to happen and is not really in BW's hands, I'll just stick to the changing of wazones. And even this is so hard to do, that they will rather punish for leaving (it is actually a working and proven strategy, so why not) than do anything else.

I will ofc be talking about level 50 warzone's, because as we all have seen, the experience gain in low level warzones is more than enough for people to stay through to the end and fight.

So, as you stated, the main goal as it is now is to get the daily done and all the rewards that come with winning/losing a warzone, that is valor, commendations and credits, are mere bonuses that don't really do much. Which is sad, because Bioware has made a really good job with this.

If you for example lose with 9 medals on you, you will get more commendations and valor (don't know about credits) than if you would win with 3 medals. So if you ask me, and this is what I do all the time, if you start loosing and see that winning is gonna be hard or close to impossible, start pvping for real and get medals. Don't focus on the objectives just get them medals and your rewards will be plentiful at the end of the match.

But as I said before, these are meaningless rewards compared to finishing the daily and getting the bag that way. Let us disregard the period between the point where you have all the gear you need but not yet rank 60 to get new gear, so you only want valor and the daily is completely useless for you then. As soon as you hit rank 60, doing the dailies becomes your main goal once again.

What you proposed could actually work and I see it as something that could be implemented. But in reality, I believe that it wouldn't help much. Because afterall, it's still easier to leave and rejoin again in hopes of finding a winning warzone, instead of fighting a 10 minute loosing battle in the same time. The problem still remains. Daily quest is the main reason to pvp these days.

The question arises then, how to adjust the system so that people will pvp for fun and not for the rewards that they get out of it. This is a problem and it feels like the best idea to get by it is to promote staying in the game via punishing quitting. Because then the incentive is to learn and become better so that you will have a higher chance of winning sooner and doing the daily quest faster.

I do hope though that they will take the time and think of something better than that though. Remove the daily quests all together and replace with a different mechanic. Or change the daily quest to give you something else than a bag. Or change the requirements for the daily quest to dmg done/healing done/protection done/huttball passes/scores and so on. And those only count if you finish the warzone. Also make it so that you have a max amount of anything that you can gain in a single warzone, so that you have to play more than just one or two. That way you could do the daily in many different ways while pvping and having fun, instead of blindly being focused only on winning.

These are just some ideas that pop into my head. Sadly though, players as they are, will try to exploit anything and thus any kind of system would take a lot of tweaking and abuse before it would run smoothly.

Still I think it could be done, but in the end all we can really do is to put our trust into BW and see what they come up with :)

To end this fairly long post now, I'd just like to say that I love seeing people that see punishing as something bad, rather than something that is a must. So a /cheer your way from me :)

it's still easier to leave and rejoin again in hopes of finding a winning warzone, instead of fighting a 10 minute loosing battle in the same time.

I think BW could set some sort of cooldown to the player that quits the wz, so he cant imediatelly enter another.

You may even call it a "punishment", but i think of it more of a way to prevent exploiting and abuse from players who cant play in a fair way with others, even when being rewarded for losing..

Also, by rewarding a loss i believe that the losing team wont feel like a punch-bag.

"Ok buddy, u lost the match, they won, they are going to get more stuff then you and get the gear faster than you....but hey....you effort is not in vain...thank u for playing and making it fun for both sides, heres a token of our apreciation for your fairplay. "

Just want to make clear to anyone that reads this that i dont mind grinding at MMO´s or losing a game, at all....but i sense theres a lack of "fairness" when it comes to pvp on this game, for several reasons....this is one.

To be unfair, to exploit, cheat, or dont give a proper reward...these things can kill anyones mood to play the game.

ps: thank you. :)

Edited by EduardoJN