Has there ever been a time in any MMO when people didn't defend their own class?

Aidank

I mean, I've been playing mmos for a long time, and I every time there's been an overpowered class, 90% of the people who play the class defend it tooth and nail, regardless of how obvious it is to everyone else (Including the 10% of the people playing the class willing to admit they're overpowered)

I'm not going to lie and pretend I wasn't the same, I started playing wow in 3.0 on a ret paladin... and I just assumed I was amazing at this game I had started playing less than a month ago, and everyone who disagreed with me was just bad.

Do you think that maybe if everyone else is saying your class is overpowered, including people that play your class it might be overpowered?

I think this is due to the way that people discuss an "overpowered" class. There's isn't a whole lot of good faith give-and-take.

When someone comes to the forums and calls a class overpowered, it sounds an awful lot like an accusation. Merely by choosing a specific class, these players are cheating! Their accomplishments are undeserved! They deserve to be punished! Even if it's not said outright, the inference is there, supported by passive-aggressive language and a long history of trolling. Of course people are going to be offended (in many cases, isn't that the point?). And they will defend themselves.

I'm sure some classes are more powerful than others, but if you're going to make that case you need to do it with caution and courtesy. And don't expect others to agree with you, no matter how strongly you feel about your argument. Otherwise, you just look like another bog-standard troll.

Edited by signahead

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

If every class is OP - since there are plenty of those "OP NERFNERF" threads about any class here - i come to the conclusion that the balance is fairly fine, especially considering in which early state this game still is.

Playing a level 50 Vanguard, Scoundrel, Sage and a lvl 40 Gunslinger for myself so far (yes i get bored really easy by just one class =P) I havn't met a single class i couldn't counter with any of them.

The fail is definitely somewhere within you if you feel your enemy just played an OP-class. The sooner you Nerf-whiners realize that the sooner we will reach a more mature level within this forum.

Ultimately picking one of the most ill-equipped pvp classes runs contrary I think to the overall spirit of the "I can just pick a class and folks will groan" concept.

If you really wanted to get an interesting experiment together take about 4 different people (to be less obvious) and pick a mix of classes to make "OP" threads about and watch the fur fly.

I think the sniper is the exception to the rule-- Start threads on any four classes and at least three will fulfill the original (someone will agree to it in short order) argument which falls to how quick people can be to jump on that "someone is overpowered" bandwagon.

I have seen over the past few weeks a fairly substantive number of complaints regarding facets of about six of the eight advanced classes (or 12 of 16 if you wish) with enough people in agreement that catching the wrong thread at the wrong time would give credence to the X class is overpowered debate.

This is a long winded way of saying that a lot of people call many different classes Overpowered. Perhaps each has situational advantages that can make them appear "OP" at times along weaknesses that those playing the class are cognizant of-- thus justifying the defense of each class. This is not class specific as it holds true to just about any of them.

So which four classes? I'll need a few other people to join in on this.

I think this is due to the way that people discuss an "overpowered" class. There's isn't a whole lot of good faith give-and-take.

When someone comes to the forums and calls a class overpowered, it sounds an awful lot like an accusation. Merely by choosing a specific class, these players are cheating! Their accomplishments are undeserved! They deserve to be punished! Even if it's not said outright, the inference is there, supported by passive-aggressive language and a long history of trolling. Of course people are going to be offended (in many cases, isn't that the point?). And they will defend themselves.

I'm sure some classes are more powerful than others, but if you're going to make that case you need to do it with caution and courtesy. And don't expect others to agree with you, no matter how strongly you feel about your argument. Otherwise, you just look like another bog-standard troll.

I definitely see your point here, and in the case of most of these X is op threads this is true, but there have also been quite a few threads without any sort of ranty exaggerations, or passive aggressive "everyone who plays a sorc is bad"s.

Take tumri's some 6000 page long thread that's reached the cap limit numerous times, it's absolutely full of personal attacks and l2p posts anyways.

Edited by Aidank

Okay, any time you'd like, make a snipers are overpowered thread, and if you can get over half the posts to agree with you, I'll eat my shoe.

I will record a video of me eating my shoe, and post it on youtube.

Heard the flavor of the shoe really comes out if you boil it first, and serve it with some hollandaise.

Okay, any time you'd like, make a snipers are overpowered thread, and if you can get over half the posts to agree with you, I'll eat my shoe.

I will record a video of me eating my shoe, and post it on youtube.

Why don't you check the "power tech FOTM" thread I'm sure you will find some good ones to laugh at there.

Why don't you check the "power tech FOTM" thread I'm sure you will find some good ones to laugh at there.

I glanced through the first 4 pages and couldn't find a single person that agreed with the op.

edit: I looked through all 14 pages and could only find 2 people that thought powertechs are overpowered.

Powertechs are undoubtedly a strong class, and out of 140 posts, only there were only 3 people including the op that thought they were overpowered. This proves my point that in general if a class isn't overpowered people won't call it overpowered.

Edited by Aidank

I think for pvp the moment when you know a class is more likely than not op you start to see it as a dominate class on a given side. I came to the game just about 3 weeks ago and while leveling i would see in warzone after warzone 4 to 5 of the same class. That would go to say that for some reason a large portion of people are deciding to role the selected class. So at that moment the game devs need to take a look and see why with 4 classes to choose from are a much larger majority choosing to play this class at this time. Edited by Cikkem