Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

SWTOR vs SWG

PeacefulViolence

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok then omg this game has sooooooo much doing class over and over is such great game content and thank goodness I don't have to realy grind for anything its so awsome I get gear handed to me and raid bosses droping like 10 pieces of gear is soooo sweet and codex completion for no reward is just the best. They should make it easier to get battle master cuz that's way to long to get o wait they are.

Ok then omg this game has sooooooo much doing class over and over is such great game content and thank goodness I don't have to realy grind for anything its so awsome I get gear handed to me and raid bosses droping like 10 pieces of gear is soooo sweet and codex completion for no reward is just the best. They should make it easier to get battle master cuz that's way to long to get o wait they are.

It's crazy ain't it, the amount of people who actually want to have fun playing a game? I mean, what is wrong with them? You're either a slave to the grind or you're just a big ol' sissy, yes?

Edited by Jmannseelo

It's crazy ain't it, the amount of people who actually want to have fun playing a game? I mean, what is wrong with them? You're either a slave to the grind or you're just a big ol' sissy, yes?

It's got nothing at all to do with being a slave to the grind, people want achievements and stuff that no one else has or is hard to get. You know just like irl it's what drives the human race on. It is what MMORPG's have been about since launch and should be what MMORPG's are about period. They have an amazing platform here to make this game great, I just hope there are enough people around to see it.

MMORPG's are about community and content, this game provides content through levelling but not much when you get to 50. As for community there is very little. No server wide chat channels, segregation at all stages of the game. People jogging along the wheel to 50 too busy to interact with other players unless it benefits them in some way shape or form.

Reality is this is a single player game (for all intents and purposes) with multiplayer bits here and there. I've lost count of the amount of times people have done NASCAR Ilum style and just upped and left when the 30 crates were gathered even with reps/imps to fight.

I had tons of fun leveling up the class mission and had a great time doing raids until everyone got all there gear in no time pvp is still fun for a couple hrs a day same stuff get old. I'm glad you all are having fun doing idk what but most want more to do. This is all off topic and discused in other topics. This topic is swg vs tor and for sticking to the topic swg has a lot more than tor.

I had tons of fun leveling up the class mission and had a great time doing raids until everyone got all there gear in no time pvp is still fun for a couple hrs a day same stuff get old. I'm glad you all are having fun doing idk what but most want more to do. This is all off topic and discused in other topics. This topic is swg vs tor and for sticking to the topic swg has a lot more than tor.

SWG had eight years of content updates. TOR has less than four months. Do the math.

SWG had eight years of content updates. TOR has less than four months. Do the math.

On one had yes it had time to update different content but at launch the was what 32 profession and half of what I stated earlier was still the so no

On one had yes it had time to update different content but at launch the was what 32 profession and half of what I stated earlier was still the so no

Thirty two professions, most of which were horribly imbalanced to the point of being game breaking or didn't even work properly.

Edited by Aximand

Back in my day we didn't have these fancy "quests." It was one room, one boss, and all anyone could do was raid this one boss that had like a kazillion hitpoints and insane DPS. And that's all we did...fight, die, repeat. About once a year we would finally beat the boss and he would drop one item. That's it. Once a year one person per server (there were 2 servers) would get one item and everyone else would go without. Oh but that one person was like a god, and we all lived in the dream of being so godlike ourselves. And it was great.

You kids today with your "fun." It's all about being the guy with the best sword. It was miserable, and that's just the way we liked it.

Back in my day we didn't have these fancy "quests." It was one room, one boss, and all anyone could do was raid this one boss that had like a kazillion hitpoints and insane DPS. And that's all we did...fight, die, repeat. About once a year we would finally beat the boss and he would drop one item. That's it. Once a year one person per server (there were 2 servers) would get one item and everyone else would go without. Oh but that one person was like a god, and we all lived in the dream of being so godlike ourselves. And it was great.

You kids today with your "fun." It's all about being the guy with the best sword. It was miserable, and that's just the way we liked it.

And to fight that boss you had to walk up hill to get to him. And I'm not talking about the game, you had to carry your computer up a hill.

Its an MMO, of course the game wasn't finished when it was released. MMOs are never finished unless they're shut down (SWG). I can't think of one MMO that had the number of features and the extent of content on launch day that TOR did, and to say otherwise is complete ignorance, willful or not. If they had spent the time to put as many features in the game as everyone wanted they'd be in the same boat as GW2 is right now, not enough development time and too many boxes that still need to be checked off.

Basically what I'm trying to say is (and I hope you're understanding, if not then go do some research into the various MMO launches) if they had done as you said and "finished the game", it would have been in development for another six years.

First lemme say you are right NO MMO is ever complete there is always content to be added.

I think that there was more to the down fall to SWG like LA and say this project.

SWG (NGE) shut down because there was an end. They didn't stay true to the story (the ability to become a jedi at will for one). You did run out of things to do. You could only be 1 type of character at a time there were no racial gifts for being a certain class. certain characters had no use. IMHO the most fun I had was in the end days taking on large random spawns of Imperial troopers or stampeeding monsters. Once you did everything and got all the the shiny's what was left? It happens.

Allot of people have valid points for both sides.

First world. A storyline driven Rpg has been the main stay for many years. Why not bring it to the online masses. that is what sells and alot of people enjoy it. People seem to be more content and satified when there is an end and a uniformity to things. AT time people like to have a limited number of choice of what to say and when to say it. the storline MMO allows the tieing of diffrent classes together.

Second world. Open ended MMO (RPG) not being told what to do and how to do it has been around for a very long time. Back to the days of D&D. these games are still going why because they had no real end. I think alot of people enjoy this and still subscribe to that type of play.

To most they would like a better balnce of the two worlds. But hey wouldn't that be a perfect world? :)

(sideline note: SWG is not gone. several severs have launched. They are all PRE NGE and they seem to be doing well. the gamers have pitched in to correct the bugs and to create new content.) I play both because I like the change of pace.

And to fight that boss you had to walk up hill to get to him. And I'm not talking about the game, you had to carry your computer up a hill.

But only after getting permission from the guild leader first. And with the understanding that if you managed to loot the annual drop, you had to give it to him. All glory and honor to guild leader!!!

Edited by Jmannseelo

Thing is the SWG haters are missing is this.

Havent you ever wondered why there is such a passion for the SWG pre nge game when we all admit it was bugged, had problems and such like? After all the analyses of the "old " SWG we all still love it .

It cant be because it was just Star Wars because we'd feel the same about SWTOR surely?

And sure right now Id rather have 32 bugged classes than 4(8) extremely samey boring ones.

I would play SWG instead if it was still alive today especially pre-cu. SWTOR isn't sandbox and SWG is. IMO sandbox mmo's have great communities and I've noticed in swtor not much of a good community as it was in SWG. SWTOR during pvp on llum no one listens to the person trying to coordinate the pvp strategy. While in SWG, we all know what we are doing and people will always listen to the leader of the group. The thing that will keep me playing SWG is a great community and a great Population. SWTOR seems a little too simple tbh. SWTOR has way too many limitations as it is a themepark. SWG has so much freedom, that is sandbox.

SWG>SWTOR anyday(This isn't a swtor sucks post it's a point if swg would still exist with many people playin today I would play it, the best mmo out there right now is SWTOR.)

Edited by Jonoku

Thing is the SWG haters are missing is this.

Havent you ever wondered why there is such a passion for the SWG pre nge game when we all admit it was bugged, had problems and such like? After all the analyses of the "old " SWG we all still love it .

It cant be because it was just Star Wars because we'd feel the same about SWTOR surely?

And sure right now Id rather have 32 bugged classes than 4(8) extremely samey boring ones.

Because different people like different things, and some genuinely liked SWG? That's not a problem, but that doesn't mean that SWTOR should try to be the same lest it be considered a failure by all. Nor does it mean those who prefer TOR are spoiled brats who want everything handed to them or warrant exclamations of "play a single player, carebear." It's a game. Games are supposed to be fun. Lots of people would rather just quest and enjoy themselves than decorate their house or gloat about looting uber-rare drops.

If TOR isn't doing it for you, then it probably isn't the game for you. Your pre-NGE SWG is still floating around on the internet, and for free too. So why not just go enjoy the game you claim to love so much, rather than hang around moaning on SWTOR forums that it isn't SWG? We know it isn't SWG. Many of us are glad it isn't SWG. So why not let us play our TOR, you can play your SWG, and everyone can be happy?

Edited by Jmannseelo

Because different people like different things, and some genuinely liked SWG? That's not a problem, but that doesn't mean that SWTOR should try to be the same lest it be considered a failure by all. Nor does it mean those who prefer TOR are spoiled brats who want everything handed to them or warrant exclamations of "play a single player, carebear." It's a game. Games are supposed to be fun. Lots of people would rather just quest and enjoy themselves than decorate their house or gloat about looting uber-rare drops.

If TOR isn't doing it for you, then it probably isn't the game for you. Your pre-NGE SWG is still floating around on the internet, and for free too. So why not just go enjoy the game you claim to love so much, rather than hang around moaning on SWTOR forums that it isn't SWG? We know it isn't SWG. Many of us are glad it isn't SWG. So why not let us play our TOR, you can play your SWG, and everyone can be happy?

Its not moaning that this game isn't swg 2 we are just asking for more to do anything. And compairing like the topic of this post is swg vs tor so yea people are going to bring up the stuff to do in swg as a for instance. All your ranting is making a point that noone is saying to do. No we don't want tor to be swg 2 we want **** to do. What's so hard about understanding that. Must justbe the carebear mentality

Its not moaning that this game isn't swg 2 we are just asking for more to do anything. And compairing like the topic of this post is swg vs tor so yea people are going to bring up the stuff to do in swg as a for instance. All your ranting is making a point that noone is saying to do. No we don't want tor to be swg 2 we want **** to do. What's so hard about understanding that. Must justbe the carebear mentality

And as I already pointed out a page or two back, 80% of the things you said you wished you could do, you can already do in this game! Is it Bioware's fault that you won't camp heroic areas for purple drops, but were willing to camp the DWB until the cows came home in SWG? No. Is it their fault that you won't get your friends together to fight world bosses the way you used to do with Krayt dragons and the like? No. Can they help it that you find looking for crafting materials beneath you on TOR, yet somehow it was magically more fun in SWG? No. Is there a reason why finding and clicking on Codex lore entries is less satisfying than finding and clicking SWG collections? They're both exactly the same thing so what is the issue other than blind nostalgia?

That's another thing I find quite silly....people griping about TOR "not letting" them do stuff they are very able to do but choose not to. While the quest lines themselves might be theme park in nature, there is a whole lot of open world with various side activities that you can "sandbox" to your heart's content. So what's stopping you? Sandbox away...

Edited by Jmannseelo

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.