The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

as a DPS can i still tank?

Rocco_

im putting points into shield tech tree up till i get jet charge/storm (force leap), i know this is a common pvp build but is it viable end game in pve as i want to be an awesome tank but i also will be doing alot of pvp.

does ion cylinder make or break the tank? i want to skip the talents that enhance ion cylinder so that i can switch between it (for pve) and combustible cylinder (for pvp) as in the pyro tree you HAVE to put atleast 3 points into that cylinder to get any higher in the tree,

its been an annoying choice for me as i want to tank but i want to be good in pvp...

this is just my talents, any advice on what gear would help me balance pvp and pve would be great, time isnt an issue im in this for the long haul...but i would rather not have to switch from one set to another

Edited by Rocco_

im putting points into shield tech tree up till i get jet charge/storm (force leap), i know this is a common pvp build but is it viable end game in pve as i want to be an awesome tank but i also will be doing alot of pvp.

does ion cylinder make or break the tank? i want to skip the talents that enhance ion cylinder so that i can switch between it (for pve) and combustible cylinder (for pvp) as in the pyro tree you HAVE to put atleast 3 points into that cylinder to get any higher in the tree,

its been an annoying choice for me as i want to tank but i want to be good in pvp...

this is just my talents, any advice on what gear would help me balance pvp and pve would be great, time isnt an issue im in this for the long haul...but i would rather not have to switch from one set to another

You can't be good tank and good DPS in the same time, you can tank in PVP to, shieldtech powertech is really nasty beast. Edited by Urukkhan

i dont want to do both at the same time. i want to do decent DoT damage when i go combustible cylinder when i do warzones, and be an effective tank using ion cylinder in ops, i know combustible requires points to be good but is it totally essential that i put points into ion cylinder?

OP, the only reason to go high in the Shield tree is to use Ion Gas Cylinder and benefit from the extra mitigation and guard ability on pvp. Forget Combustible Gas Cylinder even exists if you're running any hybrid build. Edited by Excidium

With a build of 17-21 in shield tech, and the rest in Pyro, you can fill the role of both Tank and DPS. You wont be awesome at either, but with decent gear you can tank/dps HM Flashpoints. Also these hybrids are excellent in PvP, which made the carolina parakeet one of the more favored PvP build. As mentioned before, this is a Tank hybrid, so in WZ you would want to be in IGC. Edited by Agooz

IGC is Needed for tanking PvP or PvE. you will have to run 2-3 armour sets and will have to respec as needed if your planning to be a MT and then go DPS in PvP.

My opinion is that.

a. I don't want talented slows and root in PvE as a MT, in PvP I need them.

b. Get the PvE Tank set if you want to do HM/NM.

c. Get a PvP DPS Set your your focusing on PvP.

d. Get a PvP Tank Set if your tanking/guarding in PvP.

Pick one set from PvE and PvP, fill those out, then work on your second set. This could be a long hard slog to get everything you want to be effective.

again i WILL be using BOTH cylinders, the idea is to be DPS in pvp and tank in pve without having to respec each time....i would rather avoid having a massive array of dif gear sets but seems this is unavoidable which is totally understandable.

while i do not aim to be MT for HM/NM modes i do want to be viable if i go one way or another....a WILL without a doubt be putting points into shield tree up to 'jet charge' the concern i have is would putting points in 'ion overload' and 'neural overload' (3 points total) be a slight waste on the pvp side of things. all im losing by not going any further into shield tree is 10% shield chance (yes i know its a hell alot but its not the point)

on the other hand i HAVE to put atleast 3 points in to combustible cylinder to advance in pyrotech tree,

Incendiary missile is awesome in pvp and mixed with jet charge and grapple means i will terrorize in pvp (gap closers for huttball and DoT's for people trying to cap objectives in the other 2)

i dont want to be one of thos people that aim for the 1m in pvp or aim to MT in an NM, but having a little of both, even as a reversal of being a hard nut in pvp and a dps in an ops lol, i just want my options to stay open and well rounded and powertech has that.

i was looking through the forums and even the vangaurd threads and found taurgrims ion fist build, i gotta say it is almost exactly what i want (damage mitigation and decent burst damage) but all the spare points go into the AP tree and not PT tree, altho this isnt much of a leap i would be nice to have more options available to me...

thanx for all the replies

again i WILL be using BOTH cylinders, the idea is to be DPS in pvp and tank in pve without having to respec each time....i would rather avoid having a massive array of dif gear sets but seems this is unavoidable which is totally understandable.

while i do not aim to be MT for HM/NM modes i do want to be viable if i go one way or another....a WILL without a doubt be putting points into shield tree up to 'jet charge' the concern i have is would putting points in 'ion overload' and 'neural overload' (3 points total) be a slight waste on the pvp side of things. all im losing by not going any further into shield tree is 10% shield chance (yes i know its a hell alot but its not the point)

on the other hand i HAVE to put atleast 3 points in to combustible cylinder to advance in pyrotech tree,

Incendiary missile is awesome in pvp and mixed with jet charge and grapple means i will terrorize in pvp (gap closers for huttball and DoT's for people trying to cap objectives in the other 2)

..snip..

The problems here in your reasoning, are as follows.

a. No Overloads (Neural, Ion) for PvP is a bit non-conventional, its a DoT and a slow that doesn't increase resolve. These Skills are PvP Staples.

b. Using CGC instead of IGC ?!?!?! you are so heavily invested in the ST tree to use the CGC your losing a lot that makes the investment in ST viable.

c. You won't be a terror in PvP, Sure you can get to the ball carrier, but can you stop him? no. Can you burn down another player effectively, no. Not using IGC will turn down your survivability a few percentage points as well.

d. IM for the Dot to stop a cap? how about Jet Charge to the pack on the door then Carbonize, or Flame Sweep, Explosive Dart, DFA, Flame Thrower, Cybertec Grenades, IGC dot should hit a few as well, you have a lot of tools in that bag, IM is not the end all be all for stopping caps.

Bottom Line is that by trying to do both you will never excel at either.

Edited by Kavell

You can tank just FINE as full DPS with Tank Gear. HOWEVER I would not recommend doing this with anything other then Columi unless your heals are very good.

I tank HM/NM OPs as DPS. We have so much base mitigation as a Powertech, and not having to rely on cooldowns like some classes we can manage that.

Granted when Dual Spec comes out soon this is a stupid point :)

The problems here in your reasoning, are as follows.

a. No Overloads (Neural, Ion) for PvP is a bit non-conventional, its a DoT and a slow that doesn't increase resolve. These Skills are PvP Staples.

b. Using CGC instead of IGC ?!?!?! you are so heavily invested in the ST tree to use the CGC your losing a lot that makes the investment in ST viable.

c. You won't be a terror in PvP, Sure you can get to the ball carrier, but can you stop him? no. Can you burn down another player effectively, no. Not using IGC will turn down your survivability a few percentage points as well.

d. IM for the Dot to stop a cap? how about Jet Charge to the pack on the door then Carbonize, or Flame Sweep, Explosive Dart, DFA, Flame Thrower, Cybertec Grenades, IGC dot should hit a few as well, you have a lot of tools in that bag, IM is not the end all be all for stopping caps.

Bottom Line is that by trying to do both you will never excel at either.

i have to agree unfortunately, i spent....well more time then im going to admit on the talent calc seeing what i can change, the idea behind IM was that it was an 18 sec DoT and after death carries on were as most if not all other PT DoT's are for 6 secs 8 i think for ion cylinder with the talents in place,

i guess i was just trying to keep some type of balance, all in all i want to be the ''big bad wolf'' of the tank world while still being able to 1v1 or even hold off a group from capping an objective. while i do see all your points and others that i have found while playing with the talent calc i feel that now i will stop with that type of hybrid and take a few more points into PT tree...thanx for this tho it was def a tipping point in my inability to make a solid decision

You can tank just FINE as full DPS with Tank Gear. HOWEVER I would not recommend doing this with anything other then Columi unless your heals are very good.

I tank HM/NM OPs as DPS. We have so much base mitigation as a Powertech, and not having to rely on cooldowns like some classes we can manage that.

Granted when Dual Spec comes out soon this is a stupid point :)

god i hope when i cap it will be as easy as this

Depends what you are doing.

My parakeet build in full combat tech columi gear has over 19k health and 41-43% damage reduction. My other tank stats are low but I've had no problems tanking any flashpoint on normal or any of the hardmodes which I have tanked (not all) and I off-tank in operations with it.

i dont want to be one of thos people that aim for the 1m in pvp or aim to MT in an NM, but having a little of both, even as a reversal of being a hard nut in pvp and a dps in an ops lol, i just want my options to stay open and well rounded and powertech has that.

i was looking through the forums and even the vangaurd threads and found taurgrims ion fist build, i gotta say it is almost exactly what i want (damage mitigation and decent burst damage) but all the spare points go into the AP tree and not PT tree, altho this isnt much of a leap i would be nice to have more options available to me...

thanx for all the replies

I think you are missing one point that everyone is saying when mentioning the hybrid builds (shield/Pyro). In PvP as a hybrid powertech (i.e. Carolina Parakeet) you will be much more effective in IGC vs. CGC. In PvP you are still a tank with very respectable bursts, and awesome mobility. You also will be in full DPS gear.

The only time you would use CGC is if you are running as a DPS in PvE.

Edited by Agooz

i have to agree unfortunately, i spent....well more time then im going to admit on the talent calc seeing what i can change, the idea behind IM was that it was an 18 sec DoT and after death carries on were as most if not all other PT DoT's are for 6 secs 8 i think for ion cylinder with the talents in place,

i guess i was just trying to keep some type of balance, all in all i want to be the ''big bad wolf'' of the tank world while still being able to 1v1 or even hold off a group from capping an objective. while i do see all your points and others that i have found while playing with the talent calc i feel that now i will stop with that type of hybrid and take a few more points into PT tree...thanx for this tho it was def a tipping point in my inability to make a solid decision

You should always use the Ion gas in PvP if you're doing a ST/hybrid spec.

As the person sad below you, Iron Fist build is fun as hell you should check it out. I was a dead set CP build for a while and loved it. I gave the IF build a try and am loving it, infact I doubt I'll be going CP again. The ranged DoT you get in the Pyro tree is basically replaced with Retractable Blade, a nasty 15 sec bleed that interrupts players trying to cap after you died (IF you die :p). Also more survivability because you're picking up extra damage reduction talents than your standard CP build. You're going to miss the extra free railshots, but the IF build gets a stronger rocket punch with the Flame Surge talent. Not to mention the 2 second shorter interrupt you get from Hitman has won me some battles.