What swtor is missing.....control

Wolftailxx

Immersion has a direct connection with control. For instance on wow, on my hunter I can scatter one guy, trap another, silence another person, get knocked off a ledge, turn around mid-air and disengage back on. I am in complete control of my character, from every little step he takes to every move he uses. I actually feel like I am the character and become immersed into the game. Hunter is just one example. A rogue building 5 combo points on someone, redirecting that to a healer, stunning him, leaving combat, sapping healer, shadowstepping back to original guy, popping cds, smokebombing. Just another example

Yet in swtor on my smuggler feels very limited. Mobility is not a quality this class has. When i kill things they die as soon as I push the move, not when bullets hit the character. Targeting a smaller mob behind a big one is nearly impossible. Mobs like to run behind you making you do some kind of katortionist move to shoot them. There is no escape button, except for a knockback, which every other ranged class has.

Simple said, I don't feel slick, smooth, agile, quick, or skilled when playing this game. There's not that many "oh ****, did you just see me do that!" moments. I don't think this can be added with a patch, this is a complete revamp of the system that cannot be done.

Been playing wow for 7 years, its getting old, wanted something new, just no one can perfect what wow has done. I know there will be people who hate wow, that'll like this game, it could be polished turd but they will still love it. The market is still open for people who don't necessarily hate wow just are bored of it.

Not sure If you're trolling or not, but here goes.

Been playing wow for 7 years,

That's your first problem right there. When you've played Any game for that long, and then suddenly try another one you have 7 years worth of habits to deal with.

TOR Is a different game, Of course things will not be accustomed to you. You need to invest time into It before It starts to feel like WoW does to you now.

WoW has 7 years worth of polish, TOR deserves at least that much to see If Bioware gets It right.

its getting old, wanted something new, just no one can perfect what wow has done.

WoW perfected noting. They refined what was already established. And It kept doing that for 7 years. In time TOR will polish, refine, tweak, and balance everything as well.

I know there will be people who hate wow, that'll like this game, it could be polished turd but they will still love it. The market is still open for people who don't necessarily hate wow just are bored of it.

I agree. But new MMO's are getting shot down way to fast. Before TOR even launched some WoW players were completely beating on it, claiming It would never succeed.

People need patience If they ever want another game to match WoW's standards. I have little doubt that by the end of this year The Old Republic will be a great MMO.

To the counter argument "give it time"

Swtor had alot of time and money before its release date to fine tune its investment. The thing I'm looking for isn't something that you just patch up. From day one wow had their gameplay. Maybe a move changed from here to there, but still the basic movements and combat system are basically the same.

Rift had this similar problem. It feels like your playing your character underwater, like when they programmed the game they kinda went through the motions when it came to combat and tried tweaking other aspects of the game.

Just others have tried to compete, they came out with sub-par qualities and players say, oh just give it time. Well all others before swtor just "needed some time" and have fallen off the map. I hope swtor knows, according to how other mmos have been, they don't have the time.

No bud they don't need to make this game exactly like WoW to suit your habits. :rolleyes:

If fixing the combat system and giving your class more control, utility, and mobility is copying wow then plz copy wow. Not even saying the game is a wow copy like alot say. I guess you go around posting on any "fix swtor" forums with that same retort.

Edited by Wolftailxx

Control, control, you must learn control!

:csw_yoda:

I don't know why anybody is posting after this comment. I mean, there's absolutely nothing anybody can possibly say that will come close to the level of awesome that is this comment.

Been playing wow for 7 years, its getting old, wanted something new, just no one can perfect what wow has done.

So, you're tired of wow and want something new, ok.

You come to swtor, play for a bit and then complain it doesnt play like wow? Do you just want something that plays exactly like wow but isnt wow, or what? Cuz honestly I love this game simply becuase it DOESNT play like wow.

I agree. But new MMO's are getting shot down way to fast. Before TOR even launched some WoW players were completely beating on it, claiming It would never succeed.

People need patience If they ever want another game to match WoW's standards. I have little doubt that by the end of this year The Old Republic will be a great MMO.

I was there at WOW's release and we terrorized Blizzard on those forums in that first while. Once we crashed the forum server all hammering it with the same complaints repeatedly. It was awful but ended up getting us a couple MODS who did nothing but communicate with the forum and pass along info to people who could get answers or make changes - it was amazing.

We were amazing.

Hahaha

Edited by vanisle

Swtor had alot of time and money before its release date to fine tune its investment.

SWTOR doesn't have an investment, It Is an investment.

And just like WoW Bioware will continue to fine tune It over the next several years, I'll elaborate on that now.

The thing I'm looking for isn't something that you just patch up. From day one wow had their gameplay. Maybe a move changed from here to there, but still the basic movements and combat system are basically the same.

Basically my ***.

In the first month I played as a Death Knight they revised the talents twice. Removed entire abilities, and moved others around, constantly nerfing, or balancing.

For the 2 years that followed Death Knights were changed greatly.

Sure Basically It's the same. But Blizzard continues to fine tune everything, just like Bioware will. WoW was never anywhere as perfect as you make it out to be, not at launch, and certainly not later. With Cataclysm they refined the entire Talent system, and for Pandaria they're going to do it again, with even more extreme measures.

What you're looking for Is WoW. Something that has 7 years worth of experience, and fine tuning. TOR Is a different game, and you have to accept that some things just can't be exactly like you feel they should be. You can either go back to WoW, or invest time in TOR, and follow the evolution process that WoW went through as well, and reap the benefits later.

By the sound of It, the game TOR is right now just isn't for you since you've become so attached to the way WoW plays out. TOR needs, and deserves time grow, and evolve. Just like WoW, and every other MMO before them did.

That's your first problem right there. When you've played Any game for that long, and then suddenly try another one you have 7 years worth of habits to deal with.

TOR Is a different game, Of course things will not be accustomed to you. You need to invest time into It before It starts to feel like WoW does to you now.

WoW has 7 years worth of polish, TOR deserves at least that much to see If Bioware gets It right.

You completly missed his point, and it got nothing to do with WoW being 7 years, your char was every bit as responsive 7 years ago as it is today.

You completly missed his point, and it got nothing to do with WoW being 7 years, your char was every bit as responsive 7 years ago as it is today.

Just like you completely missed my point.

If the only MMO the OP has invested serious time, and effort into Is WoW It's going to affect his opinion regarding any new MMO.

The OP's complaining about TOR's gameplay, and how It doesn't feel as right to him compared to his characters in WoW. If he has 7 years worth of play time in WoW versus the what, 2 months time everyone has in TOR he can't expect everything to be exactly the way WoW is.

He either needs to go back to WoW, or realize that no MMO is exactly alike, and 7 years of exclusive gameplay gives you habits, and expectations that's hard to meet.

Only the delorean and Michael J Fox can answer that for fact - checkmate

Checkmate indeed.

I have had several "holy crap, did i actually just do that?" moments. One such time was on my guardian when i was facing an assassin in pvp. I was kicking his but, and he was about to use his KB. So he did the flip and he was about to hit the gorund and knock me back, when I used force push in the knick of time to send him flying backwards, and stopping his knockback. Another moment was when i was kicking a shadows butt on my juggernaut in huttball, and he was about to die. He used his KB, and when i was about 5 feet off of the platform my force scream activated, killing him.

Immersion has a direct connection with control. For instance on wow, on my hunter I can scatter one guy, trap another, silence another person, get knocked off a ledge, turn around mid-air and disengage back on. I am in complete control of my character, from every little step he takes to every move he uses. I actually feel like I am the character and become immersed into the game. Hunter is just one example. A rogue building 5 combo points on someone, redirecting that to a healer, stunning him, leaving combat, sapping healer, shadowstepping back to original guy, popping cds, smokebombing. Just another example

Yet in swtor on my smuggler feels very limited. Mobility is not a quality this class has. When i kill things they die as soon as I push the move, not when bullets hit the character. Targeting a smaller mob behind a big one is nearly impossible. Mobs like to run behind you making you do some kind of katortionist move to shoot them. There is no escape button, except for a knockback, which every other ranged class has.

Simple said, I don't feel slick, smooth, agile, quick, or skilled when playing this game. There's not that many "oh ****, did you just see me do that!" moments. I don't think this can be added with a patch, this is a complete revamp of the system that cannot be done.

Been playing wow for 7 years, its getting old, wanted something new, just no one can perfect what wow has done. I know there will be people who hate wow, that'll like this game, it could be polished turd but they will still love it. The market is still open for people who don't necessarily hate wow just are bored of it.

You're talking about skills that were implemented after 2 years mostly. before that, unless you were a rogue, you didn't really have control. All it takes is polish, so many skills and talents in WoW were removed or replaced during the course of 7 years and new ones implemented, in the beginning it wasn't smooth at all. I remember a Warrior doing... ehm... autoattack, HS and BT, maybe WW and that was all they had in order to dps. Compare that to the SW... it will get better, it'S a new game, you gotta give it time and you gotta remember that there are new players who are not used to very complex game settings and need to adapt first, same is true for raids, first tier is and will always be easy, gotta wait for 2nd tier of raids in order to see the real difficulty the designers have in mind.

WoW had a bad launch, it was not a smooth one. No where near as smooth as this Launch.

You would be lying to yourself if you say otherwise.

I guess my memories fail me then. I enjoyed WOW since day 1. WoW had the three critical components:

Timing, timing, and timing. The animations were unparalleled. The artwork was unique and instantly identifiable with the game. From combat to just regular movement you could tell the timing was nailed masterfully.

Lots of things about wow can be argued about and end up "matter of opinion". Anyone with a passion for animation or a sense of fluid motion knew WoW was a masterpiece where it counted. Just like Pixar, its greatest achievements were unnoticed by the masses, other than it "feeling right".

A New MMO doesn't have to exceed WoW's unique art style or game design. The main focus should be on timing. Animations, fluid motion, timing, timing, timing. THEN add in unique qualities that will define the game.

Swtor has major timing issues. Everything else is based off of that. Get the cornerstone corrected and then move on to other problems.