The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Vanguard:best in game???

DarthJimilingus

I started a Merc(35), then Gunslinger(27), and a Sage(38) trying to get a feel for this game. None of them, not one, really said this is who I am until I rolled a Vanguard.

After every promotion or title I've received I felt like I've accomplished something. Nothing compares IMO.

I still like my Hybrid Shadow better, but that might be because I played her longer. And I like the animations better, specifically spin kick and spinning strike.

The DPS vanguard in centurion w/ champ weapon is easily doing 1.5x her damage in a WZ.

Before I started playing SWtor I asked a friend of mine that plays what he thinks I would like the best (we've been gaming together for 9+ years in DaOC). He said I would love the Vanguard class and he was right. I absolutely love this class, I've only gotten to lvl 32 thus far but I've had no real problems leveling or in the WZs for that matter. Of course I really don't have anything else to compare it to because I haven't really played any other classes in SWtor but I really don't have the itch to roll an alt yet and I think that speaks volumes for me as a new player to the game. I'm really looking forward to getting this guy to 50 and geared out to see how it really shines!

Vanguards are good pre 50. They are average at 50. Battlemaster geared Sents/Maras, Ops/scoundrels, Sorcs/Sages will all consistantly beat any build you make. Also depending on you spec, PT/VGs of a different build will beat you (IE full Assault VG will beat a Shieldtech VG almost every time).

Vanguards are good pre 50. They are average at 50. Battlemaster geared Sents/Maras, Ops/scoundrels, Sorcs/Sages will all consistantly beat any build you make. Also depending on you spec, PT/VGs of a different build will beat you (IE full Assault VG will beat a Shieldtech VG almost every time).

I doubt Assault VG played top of his game will have much problems with ops / scoundrels and sorc / sages.

Marauders / Sentinels as watchman / annihilation are currently best 1v1 class in game with all their cds up.

But then again, this is not a 1v1 game, and Assault VG has enough burst (maybe best in game) to take out any class in a short spawn of time, and having several ranged abilities + Harpoon & Guard + taunts really makes the class shine in the hands of a skilled player.

I love this class. I tried Jedi Sentinel....Hated it. Tried Inquisitor. I liked it and leveled up to 50 but then I got bored so I started a Trooper and got it up to 13 in one day and I love it. Picked Vanguard and I can actually compete in warzones. I cant wait to see what he can do at 50. Thoughts?

The nice thing is, there is no "best", other than "best for me" right now.

And I'm a comfy Assault Vanguard myself. Welcome to the club.

I doubt Assault VG played top of his game will have much problems with ops / scoundrels and sorc / sages.

Marauders / Sentinels as watchman / annihilation are currently best 1v1 class in game with all their cds up.

But then again, this is not a 1v1 game, and Assault VG has enough burst (maybe best in game) to take out any class in a short spawn of time, and having several ranged abilities + Harpoon & Guard + taunts really makes the class shine in the hands of a skilled player.

Then obviously youve never been attacked by a competent well geared ops/scoundrel in pvp. They will kill you fast as pure dps since you dont have the mitigation and damage reduction of ion cell.

Then obviously youve never been attacked by a competent well geared ops/scoundrel in pvp. They will kill you fast as pure dps since you dont have the mitigation and damage reduction of ion cell.

This exactly. Vangaurd is a fun class, and pre 50 you feel like a tank in a warzone. After level 50 that tanky feeling vanishes and you feel more like any other dps. DPS builds are fun because you maintain the vangaurd abilities, but you won't have anywhere near the survivability as other classes, not to mention your dps won't be as good.

Vanguard is the tops. but don't spread it around- we don't want all the lil jedi and sith switching over :)

Seriously though, I am wearing decent but not GREAT gear as a 50, and almost always get in the top 2 in the WZ, if not 1st. Love love love VG.

Vanguard is probably one of the most balanced classes In the game across all specs and I have basically tried every build out there none of them felt overpowered but they also didn't feel underpowered either they felt just right about where they should be.