Watchman question

XxPetexX

when activatin Zen for juyo form,

Can u activate it pro-actively? meaning can I activate it before I have dots on a target and just have them crit after I apply the dot?

Or do I apply full set o dots and then pop zen?

Does it work together with trinkets?

Like if I pop a power trinket at the same time? or use valorous call and inspiration right after?

Will it multiply the effect?

when activatin Zen for juyo form,

Can u activate it pro-actively? meaning can I activate it before I have dots on a target and just have them crit after I apply the dot?

Or do I apply full set o dots and then pop zen?

Does it work together with trinkets?

Like if I pop a power trinket at the same time? or use valorous call and inspiration right after?

Will it multiply the effect?

Yes

The aply with full DoT's is only for pure Burst damage...

Yes

Yes

Edited by OldxLady

I dont use riposte as watchman. Just doesnt seem worth it, yes there's no global cd but its 3 for basically a slash(or strike? whatever your focus spender is) when I have other abilites that need my focus. You shouldnt have that much extra focus you need riposte to dump it, I mean I hardly even use the focus spender(slash/strike whatever its called) maybe once or twice as a filler till cd come up or i've spent some focus or need cauterize to come back b/c merc slash failed(at 66% >_<)

How about riposte?

Useful at all or just a waste of focus?

Asking for both PvE and PvP

In PvE i use it everytime it pops up basically because its a guaranteed or so k damage, cant be dodged, defended or anything and its just inmmediate and as watchman i have so much focus i can really spend everything and usually it pops everytime you enter a fight

For PvP it hardly ever happens but it does happen eventually and i usually use it cause people in PvP have so much gear that the guaranteed hit is nice for me and i can usually just do a zealous after for 6 more focus

btw i do agree with the above poster that 3 focus is too much, maybe 2 focus would be better but i still use it anyway

Edited by khsolo

How about riposte?

Useful at all or just a waste of focus?

Asking for both PvE and PvP

My opinion - waste. Having it off the GCD makes it marginally more useful, but for two focus you can drop a slash that is just as good. You're better off saving your focus for your Cauterize/Overload Saber combos.

Riposte and Blade Storm are both a waste as Watchman. They might come in useful, but for the most part they're not worth the focus cost.

I disagree about Riposte. The initial cost of 3 focus looks like a lot but keep in mind that when Strike+Riposte are used in the same GCD, you're really only paying 1 focus to deal more damage than a more expensive Slash. When your Mind Sear procs are on cooldown, there's no reason not to use Strike+Riposte when you are able to.

As much as I advocate the use of Riposte, I understand it is a very situational ability. It's really only useful while soloing.

I disagree about Riposte. The initial cost of 3 focus looks like a lot but keep in mind that when Strike+Riposte are used in the same GCD, you're really only paying 1 focus to deal more damage than a more expensive Slash. When your Mind Sear procs are on cooldown, there's no reason not to use Strike+Riposte when you are able to.

As much as I advocate the use of Riposte, I understand it is a very situational ability. It's really only useful while soloing.

I use it a lot especially if im high on focus and not in zen-bladerush spam phase of my damage dealing. it is great for spiking things down in pve and pvp as a combat spec. a bladerush/riposte>bladestorm is a lot of damage in a very short space of time and scares the hell out of people ;) (especially if that brings them down enough for a dispatch afterwards)

edit: even scarier if you done precision for 100% armour ignoring before hand :)

Edited by Ainianu

I use Riposte in my rotation in PVP, because I don't sit on 1 guy unless it's a healer, instead I rotate my damage to different players then target the lowest health guy and finish him off.

It's manual AOE. It costs 3 sure, but small initial hit and additional DOT should not be discredited.

^ This. With Watchman, focus isn't nearly the issue it is with Combat. Even so, in 1 GCD you can use Slash for 2 focus, or Strike+Riposte for 1 focus and deal more damage. No brainer imo.

My opinion - waste. Having it off the GCD makes it marginally more useful, but for two focus you can drop a slash that is just as good. You're better off saving your focus for your Cauterize/Overload Saber combos.

In my opinion it's very situational. The one instance in PvP where it really is useful is after you have been hit with pacify or the marauder equivalent. Only things you can hit with then are riposte and force abilities, and riposte is the only one of those that stacks overloaded saber DoT's, otherwise I think the amount of damage for 3 focus is not very good. The only other time I would use it is when you need a little extra instant damage to finish a target.

In my opinion it's very situational. The one instance in PvP where it really is useful is after you have been hit with pacify or the marauder equivalent. Only things you can hit with then are riposte and force abilities, and riposte is the only one of those that stacks overloaded saber DoT's, otherwise I think the amount of damage for 3 focus is not very good. The only other time I would use it is when you need a little extra instant damage to finish a target.

Oh man that's a good catch about Riposte, forgot all about the no missing. I swear I've yet to get hit with a Marauder accuracy debuff from anyone on my server. Then again, always beat the crap out of every one that fights me lol (funny enough, i always blind them before i begin my rotation on them lol).

Edited by ShiroRX

Riposte and Blade Storm are both a waste as Watchman. They might come in useful, but for the most part they're not worth the focus cost.

I don't quite understand this. How are they a "waste" if they "come in useful?" Aren't the two a contradiction in terms? By definition something that is useful is not a waste.

As a pure Watchman I consider Blade Storm and Riposte to be useful enough to remain on the hotbars. They are situational. Just because a skill is situational doesn't mean it's a waste. Do I hit Blade Storm every time it's up, the way I hit something like Leap or Zealous Strike? No. Of course not. But when it's up and a mob is at range from me and Leap is still cycling, and I have the focus, I absolutely will use it, and I'm convinced my DPS is at least as good as it would be if I did not attack but used over-ground movement to approach the target. At least in PVE.

Lots of skills are situational, and not just for Sentinels. Do you think on my BH that I use AOE attacks against single targets? Do you think I use flamethrower and rocket punch against targets at range? Do you think I use my electro-stun against weak mobs? Of course not. But just because I don't use those skills "every time they're up" like I use say "unload", doesn't mean they're a waste. They are situationally useful.

The same is true for many of our skills, not just Riposte... Blade Storm, Saber throw, Stasis, Pacify, Force Kick, yes, even skills like Master Strike, Merciless Slash, and Force Leap. What you use depends on the situation. If you don't play this way... if you just mechanically use a tiny subset of your powers over and over again because they will always be at least somewhat useful, and ignore the rest of your skills as a "waste," then IMO you are not getting the most out of your sentinel.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.