optimal keybindings for marauder?

Tossed

Hello fellow marauders,

I was just wondering if anyone has come across a guide or some sort of concrete example of an efficient keybinding layout for our class. I see a lot of talk on here about people using the naga mouse but I cannot afford that right now and don't wanna have to buy a $80-$100 to be efficient with my abilities.

Anyway, if anyone has come across an efficient layout or a certain streamer that I should be watching to get better at this class.

If it matters; I play mostly rage & annihilation; am level 50; valor rank 61.

Thanks for your time.

I'm waiting for my naga in the mail today hopefully, but till then this is what I have been doing... left hand the WASD keys for movement with Z & C for strafe. Then the Number Pad for my right hand. I'm on a laptop though so there is an extra row of buttons at the top. It makes 19 keys (15 without the extra row) plus my thumb rests on the four directoin arrow keys to tab target, friendly target & two to spare. The huge disadvantage is the tab targeting, but you never have to move your hands and look away from the screen. Hope it helps. I got to check on the mail again...

If your mouse has any extra buttons on it figure out how to set them to something else. Such as your forward and back buttons, set them to modifiers (Alt, Shift, Control<can mess with **** stick with shift and alt). Even the microsoft peripherals on my other computers have the ability to modify button usage based on the program that is running. Just have to get the intellipoint software.

If you have movement keys still bound to Q and E undbind them and Learn to use them as keybinds. First character I have ever played that required me to do this. Now I have gotten used to it and use it for everything I play. Your gaming will improve for learning to make use of those extra keybinds.

With the use of keys 1-6 Q and E coupled with the modifiers Shift and Alt you have a plethora of options. If you can bind your modifiers to your mouse not only do you have a plethora of options but they are easily accessible as well.

I also have things bound to R F C X and Z add that up with modifiers and we are looking at even more tools quickly available.

Most keybinds I have ever had to make use of and I use 90% of them actively. It is a learning curve but if you can make it work your future MMO gaming will improve for it.

Hope that helps some. :D

I use WSAD for movement, and if I want to strafe I just hold down my right mouse button (which I'm doing most of the time anyway).

My main hotbar's hotkeys are Q,E,R,F,T,X,C,V,1,2,3,4. The bar under it is the same but using the shift button as the modifier. Q-V are my main attacks, and Shift Q-V are attacks that I use less often but are still vital. 1-4 are Predation, Deadly Saber, Berserk, and a skill I haven't assigned yet, and Shift 1-4 are my defensive abilities that have high cooldowns -- Saber Ward, Cloak of pain, Force Camo, and Unleash. I do this so that I don't accidentally blow the CD on my defensive abilities because my finger brushed up against a key.

I use a third hotbar on the right side of my screen for my class buff, stance, medipacs, adrenals, and misc skills like throwing the huttball or slicing a droid. The only hotkeys assigned on this bar are Shift+B for my regeneration skill, and Shift+N for my medipac.

I've used this same setup across multiple MMO's, and it's always been successful for me. E and Shift E are always my high priority attacks that don't require resources -- in this case Assault and Battering Assault respectively. X and Shift X are always my AOE's -- Smash and Sweeping Slash. C and Shift C my most important (opinion) CCs -- Force Choke and Crippling Slash. V is usually my interrupt, so I've bound Disruption to it, but for some reason I have Obfuscate bound to Shift V -- which doesn't follow my usual setup, but it works well for me so far.

Anyway, I think a setup like this might benefit you. It's based around easy to reach keys so that your reaction time is quick. After you built up muscle memory for each key, your reaction time will be stellar.

Edited by bryharr

I use a Nostromo game pad and a Lechesis mouse (with buttons on the side).

The nostromo is set up with buttons 1 - 14 (the top buttons) mapped as 1 - 0, -, and =. The last 2 are mapped to "c" and "i". Honestly, i had no use for the last 2 so i as just "whatever".

The directional is my movement.

The first side button on my muse is Jump.

The second side button on my mouse is my "sic'em" button for my companion. Basically send my companion in on something.

The small button above the directional is mapped to <alt>, and i use this for keying the mic in Mumble/Ventrillo

The mouse wheel is set to <tab> rolling forward and <shift>+<tab> rolling backward.

The last button, the thumb button below the directional is keyed to <Shift>.

The Thumb button allows me to use <shift><number> combinations.

Okay, that said, i layout my most notable talents/abilities like this:

1 - Deadly saber

2 - Battering Assault

3 - Assault

4 - Vicious Slash

8 - Disruption

- - Force charge

= - Unleash

<shift>1 - Rupture

<shift>2 - Annihilate

So my opening rotation plays out like this:

-, 1, 2, <shift>1, <shift>2.

(force charge, Deadly Saber mid charge, Battering assault, Rupture, Annihilate)

Usually have to switch targets at this point.

Mid rotation, my slower CD items are either on the "shift" bar, or away from my middle/ring fingers on the pad.

I'm usually building rage and using rage-costing abilities to burn it off, but they're all right there at my fingertips.

One note: Disruption is specifically in the "8" spot because it's dead center and I can get to it FAST. I have the AE version of it keyed to <shift>8

Unleash is out of the way, but there if I need it.

Edited by Selinoz

...stuff ...

I also keep stuff with really long CDs, Berzerk, Predation, Bloodthirst, disable droid, all that crap off on the side quick bars.

Only stuff I'm actively using or things that I might need acess to in a hurry are on the center quick bars.

Thanks for all your input! Some good stuff coming here.

Bryharr, would you mind posting a screenshot of your layout?

Also, if anyone else has any neat tricks they do with their binds keep em' coming. Your screenshots may help too!

You dont need a fancy gaming mouse or any of the sort I want you to look up the Belkin n52te I dont use my keyboard it's too inefficient this hand unit will change the way you game. I currently have 30 keybinds on it and still room for more, very comfy and ergonomic and the keys are all very accessible, also get rid of S and backpeddle only ***** need it and that will free up 3 binds using S alt and shift

Thanks for all your input! Some good stuff coming here.

Bryharr, would you mind posting a screenshot of your layout?

Also, if anyone else has any neat tricks they do with their binds keep em' coming. Your screenshots may help too!

http://img109.imageshack.us/img109/7788/screenshot2012022216440.jpg

• Q and Shift Q are set to VS and Ravage. I'll probably replace Ravage at some point.
  • R is usually set for my ranged abilities, but I've found Rupture to require maximum uptime so it's bound to R, and Force Scream (amazing finisher) is bound to Shift R.
  • Force Charge is F, and Annihilate will be bound to Shift F.
  • T never has a set use, but in this case I've bound it to Deadly Throw for the healing debuff. Pommel Strike is set to Shift T, but I haven't trained myself to use it much. TBH, I liked have Retaliate set to Shift T, but I've seen an increase in DPS since removing it from my hotbar.
  • Frenzy will probably take the spot for 4, and I might replace Predation with Bloodthirst when I get it.

The poster above me listed that you should remove S from your movement keys so as to avoid backpedaling. Personally, I don't spend my every waking moment in PVP and find general uses for backpedaling while in game (such as platforming for datacrons). You'll see a lot of posters giving you tips and telling you if you play a certain way you're a scrub. My way of thinking is: Unless you're getting paid to play or you're uncontrollably competitive don't worry about making little tweaks like that. Play comfortably :]

Edited by bryharr

1 Deadly Saber

2 Battering Assault

3 Rupture

4 Vicious Slash

5 Force Scream

6 Ravage

Q Annihilate

E Assault

R Unleash

F Cloak of Pain

G Saber Ward

Z Disrupt

X Vicious Throw

C Deadly Throw

V Crippling Slash

` Obfuscate

Alt+1 Force Leap

Alt+2 Berserk

Alt+3 Undying Rage

Alt+4 Medpack

Ctrl+1 Frenzy

Ctrl+2 Predation

0 Sweeping Slash

- Smash

= AoE Mez

Middle Mouse Button Force Choke

Mouse Button 5 Bloodthirst

End Pommel Strike

Page Up Savage Kick

Page Down Droid Mez

All from memory lol.

Hey it works for me. I use a naga by the way so it's easy to hit 10-12 for me, and mousebutton 5 etc. get rid of the left windows key

Edited by HBninjaX

Ok, since I see about 40 of these threads daily amongst the different forums. This is the absolute be all end all "best" keybind set up.

Ready?

WHAT EVER IS COMFORTABLE FOR YOU, NO MATTER WHAT ANYONE ELSE DOES IT ALL COMES DOWN TO WHAT IS THE MOST COMFORTABLE TO YOU.

Seriously, organize your bars in such a way that YOU know where everything is at all times. Hell even group things with other similar abilities like force charge and obliterate so it's even easier. Then once you have that done set up binds in a way that works for YOU, prioritize easy to hit keys with abilities you use most often and work from there. Make use out of shift and control modifiers and there you go.

It's honestly irritating seeing so many people ask what the best binds are or how other people bind, what other people bind their crap to shouldn't matter one bit. Take some initiative and figure out what works for you.

Especially if you're rank 61, you've played that damn class long enough to know how you should be binding your abilities.

1=Assault

2=Annihilate

3=Charge

4=Rupture

5=Deadly Saber

Alt+1=Battering Assault

Alt+2=Force Scream

Q=Disruption

E=Choke

F=Vicious Slash

G=Smash

C=Snare

X=CC breaker

V=Obsfucate

R=Ravage

T=Vicious Throw

Shift+1=Channel Hatred

Shift+2=Cloak of Pain

Shift+3=Berserk

Shift+Q=Frenzy

Shift+X=SOW

Shift+T=Sprint

Shift+R=Underying Rage

Shift+Z=AOE Mez

Shift+G=Adrenal

Shift+B=Relic

Shift+H=Stim

Shift+E=Force Camo

Shift+N=Might

~=Assist

Mouse middle=Target closest enemy

Mouse 1 left=Sweeping Slash

Mouse 2 left=Throw huttball :)

Edited by bklynfinest

Ok, since I see about 40 of these threads daily amongst the different forums. This is the absolute be all end all "best" keybind set up.

Ready?

WHAT EVER IS COMFORTABLE FOR YOU, NO MATTER WHAT ANYONE ELSE DOES IT ALL COMES DOWN TO WHAT IS THE MOST COMFORTABLE TO YOU.

Seriously, organize your bars in such a way that YOU know where everything is at all times. Hell even group things with other similar abilities like force charge and obliterate so it's even easier. Then once you have that done set up binds in a way that works for YOU, prioritize easy to hit keys with abilities you use most often and work from there. Make use out of shift and control modifiers and there you go.

It's honestly irritating seeing so many people ask what the best binds are or how other people bind, what other people bind their crap to shouldn't matter one bit. Take some initiative and figure out what works for you.

Especially if you're rank 61, you've played that damn class long enough to know how you should be binding your abilities.

I guess I was just wondering what other people were using...

I guess I was just wondering what other people were using...

Point remains, it doesn't matter how anyone else binds their abilities because YOU have to be comfortable with them. YOU need to decide what keys to bind things to, If you go with someone elses binds you wont be as efficient

Point remains, it doesn't matter how anyone else binds their abilities because YOU have to be comfortable with them. YOU need to decide what keys to bind things to, If you go with someone elses binds you wont be as efficient

stop the 'elite' talk man, your posts are in NO way constructive to what the OP's asking! If you don't like him asking for help don't post at all :)

I find this thread very helpfull!

I use 1-6 qertfgcvx + all that with shift and middle mouse button + extra mousebutton (only 1 currently, other ones broken and I'm to cheap to buy a new mouse).

1 - Assault

2 - Vicious Slash

3 - Force Charge

4 - Batterin Assault

5 - Smash

6 - obfuscate

v - Retaliate

r - Force Scream

f- Annihilate

t - Cloak of Pain

g - Medpac

c - Rupture

x - Adrenal

^ - Predation

all with shift

Q - Disrupt (would normally have that on mousebutton but I got srsly used to it by now)

1 - force camo

2 - Unleash

3 - Saber Ward

4- Vicious Throw

5 - Intim. roar

v - Frenzy

c - Sweeping Slash

t - Disable Droid

r - Berserk

f - Ravage

g - Crippling Slash

b - undying rage

x - huttball throw...^^

for mouse

middle - Bloodthirst

shift-middle - Channel hatred

MB 1 - Deadly Saber

Shift-MB 1 - Force Choke

wheel up - relic

wheel down - relic 2 (of course only if I actually have on use relics).

I didn't bind savage kick or ... eh.. yeah whatever that other thing was or any long term buff/speeder/20 min cd skill.

Shift E is comp attack in case you wondered, Alt-E is comp passive.

Besides that, I still use Q and E to move that's why I only use them with shift, tried to change it once but I just ended up randomly spaming the bound abilities when I wanted to move... some habbits you just can't get rid off ;) but they are awesome keybinds if you're not that weirdly used to moving with them like me.

stop the 'elite' talk man, your posts are in NO way constructive to what the OP's asking! If you don't like him asking for help don't post at all :)

I find this thread very helpfull!

Elite talk? You consider me saying something that is just plain common sense "elite" talk? You're silly.

They are actually extremely constructive,in fact I even gave him tips on how to go about setting up his bars to make it easier when it comes to binding keys. However he's asking for help doing something that only HE/SHE can decide on. No one else can tell you what key binds are going to work for you. For example , I have friends that can use shift 7 and 8 for binds with out it being a huge stretch, I have smaller hands ,for me that's not practical so I would figure out something else. Get the picture now?

Frankly if you cant figure out how to bind keys for your own toon you probably shouldn't be playing MMO's because if doing something that's all personal preference boggles your mind I would hate to see you actually play.

No this isn't me being a dick, this is someone just being honest. Take an hour out of your day set things up to your liking and practice with it. If it still feels weird after a few days, try something new.......not ...rocket ...science.....

Since i don't put my right hand on my keyboard except to type i keep all my bindings on the left side of my board.

i use 1-6, E, R, T, F, G, V, B, X, C, space, i also have the forward and backward mouse buttons bound, as well as my mouse click button. i also use Shift as a modifier for all of those bindings. I put less spontaneous buttons like throw-huttball and sweeping slash on shift 1 and shift 2 since they're just a pain with the pinky-ring combo... annoying.

The only things i wish i could add are the F1-F4 keys but my desk is weird and they're obstructed... I would like to see one of those fancy mouses tho. Seems nice.

Fun little trick i figured out too, i put assault on my mouse wheel in both directions, so now i just spin for an auto attack. Now it's that way for all my classes.

Just make sure that no matter what order you feel your bindings should be in, always put your proc abilities, quick-reaction abilities and CD-intensive abilities at the left side of your bar so they're under your health bar, where you also want to be looking from time to time. Keeping those abilities there helps you to easier keep track of whats coming off CD, what's usable and when.

Just remember to never interrupt the bait channeled heal... Save the force charge for the second quick heal if you're 1v1 a healer(and annihilation spec lol). GL!

Edited by Vakyoom

http://cloud.steampowered.com/ugc/468610613784269057/6BEBC59A1F6331E51BD51B45D13783FD3F1DD020/

This is my key binding setup for watchmen(annihlation) spec, although I use the naga for my 1-12. Mostly I'd say try to find whats comfortable for you, but hopefully you might get some ideas with the bottom row key bindings. I'd suggest saving up for a naga, personally made life much easier. Not sure how I played mmo's without it.

maybe old school, but I just my numpad for most of my stuff. 1-9 are the attacks I use, 0 . Enter + - * / are my utility/def buttons. I have a logitech gaming board so I have my medpacks/adrenals, etc all on the left side of my keyboard, movement wasd. Only time I touch the mouse is to loot. Since, as a marauder, you're generally focusing on one target at a time, this seems to work very well for me. I feel like I am quicker this way.

Action Bar1 - Mouse Scroll Up

Action Bar4- Mouse Scroll down

Action Bar5- Mouse Midd

I have small fingers so these bindings fits to me.

Button-----Bar1---------------------Bar4----------------------Bar5

1------------Force Charge----------Adrenalin----------------Unnatural Might

2------------Distrub------------------Distrub-------------------Sprint

3------------Crripling Slash---------Disable Droid-----------Juyo Form

4------------Battering Assault------Relic1--------------------Empty

R------------Assault------------------Relic2--------------------Channel Hatred

E------------Vicious Slash-----------Retaliation--------------Empty

Q-----------Rapture------------------Pommel Strike---------Empty

F------------Annihilate---------------Force Scream----------Mount

C-----------Deadly Saber-----------Throw hutball----------Empty

X-----------Smash--------------------Sweeping Slash-------Medpac

T-----------Vicious Throw------------Deadly Throw---------Call on the Force