Gunnery/Assault Hybrid (3/18/20)

Staleningrad

Your going to eat ammo like a fat person with chocolate. Between grav round and incendiary round your going to hit the 4x recharge limit (7/12 ammo) from 1 incendiary and 1 grav round. It might be decent, but your going to spend a lot of time with your friend hammer shot waiting on ammo to recharge.

I'd also assume you'd be using plasma cell so at least that hammer shot is doing a little extra damage. And which parallactic combat stims looks nice, its really not all that amazing viable for actually trying to maintain your damage. Just a nice boon when someone decides to throw CC on you.

In all honesty I'd give it a go, see how you like it. If you get it working well then awesome, otherwise look for another spec. Commando's got some nice talents, but most of our burst damage comes from HIB and the 31 point talent skills in Assault and Gunnery. So your kind of shooting your burst damage in the foot.

Edited by Senscith

It won't be very good. Hybrids simply aren't viable when it comes to commandos, at least when it comes to PVP.

Assault gets half of its burst damage from AP, Gunnery gets half of its burst damage from DR.

Like said above, ammo will be a major problem.

The only way a hybrid set would work is if you could max both curtain of fire and ionic accelerator...which you can't do.

I made one simular but without grav...using bolts to try and proc HiBs....worked well and was pretty bursty but it got a little repeatative..I would play it again if I wanted straight DPS I enjoyed it more than full gunnery. But a very good gunnery player could do more with a straight gunnery build.

I ended up tweaking the build, creating this:

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#800bcZrcoMoZfhMrzGhM.1

It's currently what I'm using and I enjoy it in PvP.

Mind running me through how you play this in PvP and how well it actually does?

Im sick of being fulll gunnery and getting romped once im focused, and full assault damage is very good.

grav round without muzzle fluting? Whats the point? It will be ridiculously expensive to use.

Sadly assault doesnt mix with gunnery, you could pick up concussive force for utility or deadly cannon for damage, but i think you would sacrifice too much in assault.

Hi,

I have been using this

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#800ZMIkdM0bZfhMbdGhz.1

I find it to have maybe the most DPS than any other build (difficult to tell without parser but...).

It works with armo-piecring cell and charged bolt instead of grav-round.

They key is that this build has both ammo reduction mechanism from pyro and arsenal. Start with incendiary round, on one or two targets. Cell charger talent works with incendiary round, so it is a first way to gain ammo. Then spam charger bolt and full auto to get free High Impact bolt (which actually regen one ammo because of high friction bolt talent).

mixing gunnery and assault is only a novelty. While admittedly the top of the assault tree doesn't offer much, since assault plastique is not a new skill and just replaces sticky grenade and only does 300-500 more damage. I tried a hybrid with gunnery and assault just to get the knockback improvement but assault lacks the burst to make knocking back a melee really any better. Plus all those juggernauts and marauders have two jumps anyway. The only hybrid commando spec that is really worth mentioning for pvp is the gunnery combat medic hybrid.

Gunnery is baller for pve dps though.

Want to surprise people? Try this as a DPS build.

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#800rfRR0bcdkqZMIk.1

One big boost would be to have a two piece PVE Combat Medic set to increase the duration of Supercharge Cells. In 13 seconds you can get off ~9 Charged Bolts at 0 ammo cost, so you can immediately follow that with anything.

Till Supercharge Cells is ready, you can pretend to be a healer, which you technically are specced for, but putting out 9k-27k damage in 13 seconds, not including how you preload, with Sticky Grenade for example. That's a long duration, but that is a lot of pressure over the entire duration and no one has 27k hit points anyway. That damage is what I do without Havoc Rounds, so could be 6% higher.

I think you could shock people who dump on you, then run out of steam only to find out they're dead.

I don't PVP much but I can pull threat off tanks with this tactic but a "more" healer build. I primarily heal PVE.

Just throwing an idea out there that PVP focused players may not have thought of.