Are Higher Resolution Textures for Armor coming with 1.2 in March or not?

Toweleeeie

Correct me if I'm wrong but when did they say high res textures were going to be added back into the game in 1.2? I'm not trying to defend them or anything (because whether we want to deal with the performance hit from using high res textures should be our choice) but I thought they shot down the idea of putting the high res textures back in long before 1.2 was announced.

Correct me if I'm wrong but when did they say high res textures were going to be added back into the game in 1.2? I'm not trying to defend them or anything (because whether we want to deal with the performance hit from using high res textures should be our choice) but I thought they shot down the idea of putting the high res textures back in long before 1.2 was announced.

I also recall reading that we will not get high res textures anytime soon.

:(

I could have sworn that me and tons of my guild mates read that 1.2 would bring "better visual fidelity" not cut scene quality but "close".

I cant find the post now.

This should be top priority, whats the point of gear progression if you just look worse and worse.

Ok this is the post by Stephen Reid that people are talking about:

I rounded up the development team once more and had another discussion, and wanted to update you with a better timeline and some more precise details on what we're doing right now.

The first major changes will be in our next major Game Update, which will have the version number of 1.2. Those changes will bring greater visual fidelity to your character and those around you, but will still allow for good performance in situations where a lot of characters are on-screen at once. In other words, for those screenshots of your character in their best gear, you should see a marked improvement.

Other potential changes are being discussed right now – as I said, many of which are similar to changes suggested by many of you. As usual, you’ll see these sorts of changes on our Public Test Server before they make it into the live game. Right now we cannot commit to a live date for the 1.2 Game Update, but it will be within Q1 2012.

Source (scroll down a bit and you'll find it).

So therefore texture improvements were promised for 1.2, I haven't however seen anything from Reid stating this is no longer the case.

If they have changed their minds, I wouldn't be surprised.

Edited by Mandrax

It was mentioned on two places if I am not mistaken

1/ SR mentioned incomming improvements in 1.2 after his "medium settings are bug" post.

2/ In the guide for performance settings, they are mentioning incomming high-rez on player toon in 1.2 (they also mentioned how this setting will be called)

So I hope to see some visual improvements in 1.2, but it is not going to be on all characters unfortunately. Better to keep this in mind to manage the expectations correctly :-)

Now before the forums get in a fit. I want everyone to make sure they carefully read that yellow post above. It does not say high-rez textures. It says visual improvements.

So when there is no patch note saying that high rez textures are in the game, do not freak out and start saying they lied. Because I don't want to wade through a million forum posts about it.

It was mentioned on two places if I am not mistaken

1/ SR mentioned incomming improvements in 1.2 after his "medium settings are bug" post.

2/ In the guide for performance settings, they are mentioning incomming high-rez on player toon in 1.2 (they also mentioned how this setting will be called)

So I hope to see some visual improvements in 1.2, but it is not going to be on all characters unfortunately. Better to keep this in mind to manage the expectations correctly :-)

with the whole "improved fidelity of the player and the characters around him" kind of speach he made there, i suspect that theyre implementing a (very) small zone of hi-LOD near the player character, say 5 meters or so...

That way the computer wont have to load a ton of high-rez textures all the time, but only when a character is really near the player.

with the whole "improved fidelity of the player and the characters around him" kind of speach he made there, i suspect that theyre implementing a (very) small zone of hi-LOD near the player character, say 5 meters or so...

That way the computer wont have to load a ton of high-rez textures all the time, but only when a character is really near the player.

That's the impression I got as well. Hopefully they'll extend the detail to include party members, since aside from themselves I think that's who players take screenshots of the most.

I would guess the same, and of course ensuring that your own character has the better visual aspects at all times.

To be fair, a system like this is fine, I mean if you want to get a good look at someone's gear, it just means you have to get close to them, no problem, as long as my character looks as good as possible.

Now before the forums get in a fit. I want everyone to make sure they carefully read that yellow post above. It does not say high-rez textures. It says marked improvements.

So when there is no patch note saying that high rez textures are in the game, do not freak out and start saying they lied. Because I don't want to wade through a million forum posts about it.

Corrected for you

If they aint im checking out newer (and more in keeping for playing in 2012) MMOs.

They dont necessarily HAVE to be Hi Rez*, but i want a much better look of my gear than there is at present by the end of March.

* Im giving some compromise here as they advertise with Hi Rez and we all saw it in beta (yeah yeah it was beta but you dont generally REDUCE graphic settings at launch)

Edited by Urko

:(

I could have sworn that me and tons of my guild mates read that 1.2 would bring "better visual fidelity" not cut scene quality but "close".

I cant find the post now.

This should be top priority, whats the point of gear progression if you just look worse and worse.

Exactly and myself and thousands of others im sure if better textures arent made available, wont be progressing with the subs.

Which will be funny in zerg-like situations, where many many players are within this 5-meter radius. Say... Ilum? ^^

Now before the forums get in a fit. I want everyone to make sure they carefully read that yellow post above. It does not say high-rez textures. It says visual improvements.

So many MMOs in todays market can do Hi Rez graphics but we seem to thrown these muddied washed out affairs, March 31st then im looking for a newer MMO with good gameplay AND present day graphics.

Ill bite my lip and accept "visual improvements" IF they DEFINATELY are improvements.

Edited by Urko

That is all nice and dandy, but you all, along with BioWare even more, should demand playable fps gameplay expirience with what quality of textures we have now, before worrying about this. It is like worrying about your haircut, when your very head is on the line to get chopped.

I'm immensely dissapointed in BW about fail cheap decision and handling of it, and what they made with game engine for something as serious and demanding, as is MMORPG. Star Wars MMO at that!? And they screwed up this bad?!?!

I mean, what the hell were you thinking BW? The most important thing in any game, which is game engine, foundation of every game that everything else rests upon, and you failed with it so much that I have 2fps slideshow gameplay on Ilum, on my OC 8 core i7 3,8 GHz, ATI6970HD gfx and Corsair's 16GB RAM?!. It's a joke, plain and simple. Unacceptable...

That should have been your No.1 priority to make it good enough, so we can have, You know, massive MP battles and skirmishes, like 100vs100, or at least 50vs50 that MMO's are supposedly all about in the end.

Frankly, I don't effing care for better gfx, with fps being so bad even on high end rigs, until engine gets sorted, if it will get at all.

Gameplay > gfx

Exactly and myself and thousands of others im sure if better textures arent made available, wont be progressing with the subs.

your "thousands of others" perception is just that...perception

not all of us, in fact im going to say that most, dont really consider a few more pixels as the main reason i would keep playing a game...

if i MUST have pretty looking stuff, ill go watch a movie or play me3 next month, for now this game is providing for me what i expect of it....a fun time

That is all nice and dandy, but you all, along with BioWare even more, should demand playable fps gameplay expirience with what quality of textures we have now, before worrying about this. It is like worrying about your haircut, when your very head is on the line to get chopped.

I'm immensely dissapointed in BW about fail cheap decision and handling of it, and what they made with game engine for something as serious and demanding, as is MMORPG. Star Wars MMO at that!? And they screwed up this bad?!?!

I mean, what the hell were you thinking BW? The most important thing in any game, which is game engine, foundation of every game that everything else rests upon, and you failed with it so much that I have 2fps slideshow gameplay on Ilum, on my OC 8 core i7 3,8 GHz, ATI6970HD gfx and Corsair's 16GB RAM?!. It's a joke, plain and simple. Unacceptable...

That should have been your No.1 priority to make it good enough, so we can have, You know, massive MP battles and skirmishes, like 100vs100, or at least 50vs50 that MMO's are supposedly all about in the end.

Frankly, I don't effing care for better gfx, with fps being so bad even on high end rigs, until engine gets sorted, if it will get at all.

Gameplay > gfx

That is indeed right and the performance issues should be fixed. On the other hand, the performance in the crowded areas is bad no matter what graphical settings you have. So if you will turn on better gfx and your HW is at least standard, it should not get worse than it is in terms of FPS. :-) I am looking forward to see the changes, as I really don't like our current "high" settings

If we don't get a Hello Kitty lightsaber in 1.2, my entire guild and zillions of likeminded players are also ragequitting. All servers will have to be merged to one (The Great Pumpkin) and the game will go f2p for the remaining dozens of subscribers.

If we don't get a Hello Kitty lightsaber in 1.2, my entire guild and zillions of likeminded players are also ragequitting. All servers will have to be merged to one (The Great Pumpkin) and the game will go f2p for the remaining dozens of subscribers.

You can belittle others and/or their priorities all you want.

This is a 200.000.000$ dollar budget subscription-based game and we are in the year 2012.

I think we can expect a little bit more than the muddy textures that we have to put up with right now.

So therefore texture improvements were promised for 1.2, I haven't however seen anything from Reid stating this is no longer the case.

See, you are the reason that all developers, not just Bioware, never talk about stuff in advance.

They didn't "promise" anything. Things can, and usually do, change. And when they do, all you people that think they promised will turn around and QQ because it wasn't included.