The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

No Cross Realm LFG tool please!

MUFanatic

Can't see why anyone objects to an LFG tool. Right now the chance of getting a group on the average server on any flashpoint other than BT is low to non-existent. Sure you can put a LFG flag by your name but people aren’t using the flagging tool. Last night I checked in prime time. There was a total of four people with flags and all were looking for HM BT. Unless you are looking for BT, your only choice is to park your character at the station and spam general chat…..for…a…long…time if you are a dps.

With the “game we need not mention” cross server tool, there is still a respectable delay in getting a group if you added as a DPS but you are free to do other things while you wait. At level 50 SWTOR seems to have reduced the average player to becoming a permanent resident at the space station spamming the general chat. Not my idea of fun. Maybe that’s what people mean by preserving the “community” in the game.

At the very least, the developers need to add a server wide LFG chat channel. LFG flagging doesn’t seem to be a useful tool if no one is using it. Nothing short of at least a server wide LFG will fix the misery that is finding a flashpoint. Unless you are in an active guild and can fill groups from your guild chat, you are given only two realistic options right now. Park your behind at the station and hope chat spamming works or give up on the idea of doing flashpoints.

Can I ask a question? If right now you log on and open up the current tool and see say 20 players of varying roles (Tank, Healer & DPS) all wanting to go to the exact same flashpoint you want to go to, would you be able to get into a flashpoint quickly? Yes/No & Why.

Edited by DarthKhaos

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yeah, swtor is also just that right now, mostly potential. the way things are going, it's going to be just that for a while :)

maybe they should release the server code so someone could come up with a private server before they close down. you know, so fanboys can keep swinging their lightsabers of awesomeness :D

Hey, people played SWG waaaaaaay after its heyday. Up until they finally shut the servers down in Dec last year in anticipation for this game's release.Community was what kept people in that game. That's ALL it had in the end, but it was enough to keep a decent number of loyal people playing.

Imagine if this game tapped into just a bit of that kind of community and combined it with the great things that they're already doing. Is that too much to hope for?

If right now you log on and open up the current tool and see say 20 players of varying roles (Tank, Healer & DPS) all wanting to go to the exact same flashpoint you want to go to
and you can prove this with screenshot?

and you can prove this with screenshot?

It is a question. Can you or can you not quickly end up in a group if you see 20 players of varying roles wanting to do the same flashpoint you wish to go to? And why do you say yes or no.

Edited by DarthKhaos

Can I ask a question? If right now you log on and open up the current tool and see say 20 players of varying roles (Tank, Healer & DPS) all wanting to go to the exact same flashpoint you want to go to, would you be able to get into a flashpoint quickly? Yes/No & Why.

I logged on last night in prime time, hopped on my Assassin and was on the Fleet. Opened the /Who pane and guess how many people were flagged for LFG? Zero! But, I wasn't discouraged... yet. I flagged myself and put in "Foundry" as my note (I am currently lvl 39). But I wasn't going to stop there... I went on /General chat and said, "dps LFG Foundry". Then I searched for like-leveled players on the Fleet who might be interested... um... yeah. Well, I spammed again, but not surprisingly.. not a single response. No one was even chatting in /General. Oh, I didn't forget about my guild, mind you.. but of the 6 who were online, none were at my level (286 members are listed). And my friends list that I had built over the previous 38 levels... not a single player was online.

Well, needless to say... I logged off and went to bed. That's an effective tool right there!

It is a question. Can you or can you not quickly end up in a group if you see 20 players of varying roles wanting to do the same flashpoint you wish to go to? And why do you say yes or no.

Hypotheticals are great, aren't they?

Here's one... If you logged on and were immediately mobbed (via chat) by 10's of people wanted to quest with you and run fp's and op's and all kinds of fun stuff, would that be good or bad?

Um... yeah.

Unfortunately, neither of these possible hypothetical situations are a reality for a vast majority of the players so its kinda moot. We have what we have and that's it. Unfortunately, as my response above will illustrate, what we have isn't cutting it! Period!

I logged on last night in prime time, hopped on my Assassin and was on the Fleet. Opened the /Who pane and guess how many people were flagged for LFG? Zero! But, I wasn't discouraged... yet. I flagged myself and put in "Foundry" as my note (I am currently lvl 39). But I wasn't going to stop there... I went on /General chat and said, "dps LFG Foundry". Then I searched for like-leveled players on the Fleet who might be interested... um... yeah. Well, I spammed again, but not surprisingly.. not a single response. No one was even chatting in /General. Oh, I didn't forget about my guild, mind you.. but of the 6 who were online, none were at my level (286 members are listed). And my friends list that I had built over the previous 38 levels... not a single player was online.

Well, needless to say... I logged off and went to bed. That's an effective tool right there!

I wonder why I even bother trying. Do you understand my question? I'm not asking about what is going on now. I'm asking if you see what I described can you or can you not be in a group and off to a flashpoint quickly and why would you answer that way?

Hypotheticals are great, aren't they?

Here's one... If you logged on and were immediately mobbed (via chat) by 10's of people wanted to quest with you and run fp's and op's and all kinds of fun stuff, would that be good or bad?

Um... yeah.

Unfortunately, neither of these possible hypothetical situations are a reality for a vast majority of the players so its kinda moot. We have what we have and that's it. Unfortunately, as my response above will illustrate, what we have isn't cutting it! Period!

And you're still avoiding answering a simple question.

Edited by DarthKhaos

It is a question. Can you or can you not quickly end up in a group if you see 20 players of varying roles wanting to do the same flashpoint you wish to go to?
yes you can

is this situation possible? no it is not

so here "simple question" for you, what the point of your "can you not quickly end up in a group or not" in case of near impossible conditions?

reality look's like this

and this is a wery-wery lucky situation, out of 3ppl there 1tank and 1 healer

in other 9 of 10 cases i get really annoyed while search for healer

Edited by navarh

I wonder why I even bother trying. Do you understand my question? I'm not asking about what is going on now. I'm asking if you see what I described can you or can you not be in a group and off to a flashpoint quickly and why would you answer that way?

And you're still avoiding answering a simple question.

Yes, yes, yes, absolutely, it would be great and would solve everyone's issue.

Buuuuut... that's not reality, so its a moot point. We can all create hypothetical situations for utopia, but reality tends to get in the way most of the time.

Yes, yes, yes, absolutely, it would be great and would solve everyone's issue.

Buuuuut... that's not reality, so its a moot point. We can all create hypothetical situations for utopia, but reality tends to get in the way most of the time.

yes you can

is this situation possible? no it is not

so here "simple question" for you, what the point of your "can you not quickly end up in a group or not" in case of near impossible conditions?

reality look's like this

and this is a wery-wery lucky situation, out of 3ppl there 1tank and 1 healer

in other 9 of 10 cases i get really annoyed while search for healer

Ok now that that is established We see a lot of players spamming General Chat and NOT flagging themselves LFG. Why is that? If you say because the tool sucks then by your answer the tool can work if people use it, hence it does not suck in THAT sense.

We end up in a circle. Tool can work if people use it, but people don't use it because it doesn't work, but the if you use it the tool will work, but since it's not being used it cannot work and there fore it does not work...

This is the point I've made a while ago that people just do not get. No matter how good a tool is or is not it will never work as intended if it isn't used. As much as people do NOT want to spam general chat they love to go back to that.

Now for your question. You are going to have to clarify your conditions.

Ok now that that is established We see a lot of players spamming General Chat and NOT flagging themselves LFG. Why is that? If you say because the tool sucks then by your answer the tool can work if people use it, hence it does not suck in THAT sense.

We end up in a circle. Tool can work if people use it, but people don't use it because it doesn't work, but the if you use it the tool will work, but since it's not being used it cannot work and there fore it does not work...

This is the point I've made a while ago that people just do not get. No matter how good a tool is or is not it will never work as intended if it isn't used. As much as people do NOT want to spam general chat they love to go back to that.

Now for your question. You are going to have to clarify your conditions.

Darth, you want everyone to answer yes or no to your hypothetical questions, but are unwilling to admit that the current tool, in its current form, is not a good tool for the masses. You are wanting everyone to walk down the rosy path of thinking that the current tool is just misunderstood and should be given the love it deserves... Its kinda like people who love to travel by bus trying to tell everyone that it works and should be preferred to flying anywhere you go. Okay, so the bus works for you, but don't try to tell me its preferred to flying when I am going from LA to NY and need to get there in less than 24 hours.

A tool that isn't used, is useless, correct?

I could pose this question... If a cross server LFG tool were implemented that included the ability to talk to these players even when not grouped, friend them, group with them whenever you wanted, and even include them in various other activities outside of fp's.. were implemented, would that work?

We end up in a circle.
no one use broken tool, about what circle you talking?

okay if it theoretically start working and 100ppl flag themself with various comment's… your "tool" become even more miserable

read 100 comments to gather group for certain fp? yyyyyeessss this is definitely step forward from good old lfg spam in general…

jk it is not

Edited by navarh

okay if it theoretically start working and 100ppl flag themself with various comment's… your "tool" become even more miserable

read 100 comments to gather group for certain fp? yyyyyeessss this is definitely step forward from good old lfg spam in general…

jk it is not

Agreed! Would make it extremely taxing to find a group...

Darth, you want everyone to answer yes or no to your hypothetical questions, but are unwilling to admit that the current tool, in its current form, is not a good tool for the masses. You are wanting everyone to walk down the rosy path of thinking that the current tool is just misunderstood and should be given the love it deserves... Its kinda like people who love to travel by bus trying to tell everyone that it works and should be preferred to flying anywhere you go. Okay, so the bus works for you, but don't try to tell me its preferred to flying when I am going from LA to NY and need to get there in less than 24 hours.

A tool that isn't used, is useless, correct?

I could pose this question... If a cross server LFG tool were implemented that included the ability to talk to these players even when not grouped, friend them, group with them whenever you wanted, and even include them in various other activities outside of fp's.. were implemented, would that work?

I have answered this question in a previous post so I'll just quote myself.

I will ONLY support X-realm LFG if and ONLY IF I can make friends with people I encounter through the system AND can either go their server OR invite them to mine whenever I want.

Why? Because flashpoints & operations are ONLY a small portion of what I do in this game. I wish to have a network of friends that I can not just chat with but hang out with, run instanced and non instanced content, help through my crew skills or they help me through theirs, meet up in fleet and act goofy or something, ride shotgun in their ship among other things.

I really don't understand the opposition to cross-realm LFG. If anything, in wow they made a big mistake for a long time by having realms isolated from eachother for so long, and server transfers were pretty rare compared to now. Once cross-realm came in at first it was really obvious that some servers had degenerated into absolute cesspools and it became really apparent that all those people on the forums threatening to quit unless something was done about player behaviour was addressed actually had legitimate complaints and weren't just being precious - far from it. Now it's been a few years since it was in and that's evened out a fair bit and generalizations about servers in general aren't really so relevant anymore.

Also that poster with his friend asking "what community?" in wow was absolutely correct. Friends lists haven't shrunk, and if anything it's been easier to get to know people. Being able to actually play the game and gear up has made it a lot easier for people to get into the game for things that aren't cross-server.

Also, just like anything in life, it's easier to make friends while doing things together. Standing around spamming together isn't much of a bonding experience, and it doesn't change the fact that you don't really get to "know" people unless they're in your guild.

Also, cross-server makes tanks and healers feel like players, not slaves obliged to help out friends because you know if you don't do the run they might not be able to.

If anything, GW's system of not even having servers is something to look at, not looking through rose-tinted goggles at wow before cross-realm.

Edited by Darnu

jk it is not

Perhaps you should take a moment and read the guide linked in my signature before making these statements.

Perhaps you should take a moment and read the guide linked in my signature before making these statements.
done long ago

and if you think that there is some valuable info then i have bad new's for you

nothing new

your view of other ppl knowledge is insulting bro, you think we all brain-dead or what?

Edited by navarh

No i could not.

Why? because no one is forming the group. I am not a leader type of person and a lot of other people are not ether. With out auto group forming you can have 100 players lfg but until some one is willing to step forward and form the group the group will not happen.

Insult all you want but the facts are that most people will not take the lead and form a group themselves.

done long ago

and if you think that there is some valuable info then i have bad new's for you

nothing new

your view of other ppl knowledge is insulting bro, you think we all brain-dead or what?

If you did then if there were 100 people flagged you could further filter it for at least the level range, class, role, flashpoint you want. So I do not get your previous statement.

Edited by DarthKhaos

I am disappointed to see the cross realm LFG tool being talked about as a future addition to the game. I was really hoping to keep that out of TOR just because of it's ability to destroy community in a game. I would be all for LFG server wide but cross realm is a no go for me.

Two points. If you're fortunate enough to be on a populated server, or like me - to have re-rolled on a populated server, I can agree that cross-server isn't necessary. HOWEVER, having originally been on a quiet server, that has somehow become SIGNIFICANTLY less populated (peak hours, fleet populations: emp 15-30, rep 10-20..) you have a small chance of ever seeing group content. Warzone queues are ridiculous. The only way to get by is to find the few regulars and get in their guild, and hope they don't drop off as well.

My first two characters, leveled to 50, were alone on nearly every planet after alderaan - and that was when the server actually had more players actively playing - so I never got to see any heroic content. The only flashpoints I saw were Esseles & Black Talon. Try finding a HM PuG, let along an Op group... impossible. Hard to preserve a community when there is no one in it.

SO, while you do have a point, I honestly don't think it's that detrimental; and for those who like me, were on dead servers, it could make a huge difference in playable content. One wouldn't necessarily have to re-roll for community and group opportunities - as they could level by themselves, but at least find groups for FPs/Ops.

The bulk of the friends and community I've experienced on my new server, is through questing, doing planet heroic quests, joining a great guild and loitering in general chat. I leveled up in the company of a consistent group of about 10-15 players - they're on my friends list, they're who I run into or whisper for heroics; however I can't name most of the people I've run General PuGs with.. I think you may be putting too much emphasis on the camraderie in FPs, if one is fortunate enough to be able to group for them. Most of the time you're focusing on your role, tactics, and completing the fp, not necessarily chatting it up.

Finally, I've run into great people in WoW via cross-realm pugs; people I've added to my realID and queued up with for future pugs..

Edited by Nicolettexiv

If you did then if there were 100 people flagged you could further filter it for at least the level range, class, role, flashpoint you want. So I do not get your previous statement.

Even on my highly populated server, I'm usually 1 of 4 people, in a population of 180, actually flagged for group. While the general chat group spam significantly outnumbers that.

If people used it, it might make things a little easier, however - it still leaves players on dead servers SOA for finding a group for anything.

this is great!

i really can do that? no kidding? searching by word's it is clearly greatest invention of 21century

made by BW and DarthKhaos

jkjk

not

Edited by navarh

give us cross-realm LFG, single realm LFG, i dont care.

anything would be good because nobody on my server is advertising for a group for anything, and noone is joining.

I've levelled my most recent character to level 36 without touching 1 flashpoint because nobody is doing them.

I dont believe its because nobody wants to, its just down to people giving up asking/looking for a group because there are so little players on the imperial fleet. Around 50 peak time is really sad to see when it was once over 200.

For me LFG was the smartest move ever for WoW.

I didnt run any instances until this became available, and because WoW had a terrible community.

The fact that it turned out to be cross-realm in the end, only made it better.

IMO, i really think they should focus on getting an LFG out before touching 1.2.

I do believe it is the single most important feature they need to implement right now.

Edited by Rhymez