Why do you Play an Op?

Bloodguard

I have a level 50 smuggler healer and now I am rolling a IA. I love the mobility that comes with the class and the senergy of abilites. I have played a healer for 7 years now in MMOs and I really enjoy the smug/IA healing class.

I would like to see DS heal for more or return more energy. Also the AoE is pretty poor for how much energy it costs.

Edited by dmanlong

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

False, the vast majority agrees that the class is in need of repair, and there is a big number of people who still play it, like myself. Despite having 2 50s and another 2 mid level characters, I still main my operative.

So you believe the vast majority of players are the ones who post on the forums? That is interesting, because I was under the impression that the vast majority of players who post on the forums are the ones who just want to complain about how terrible their class is.

So I shall copy you and say False... the majority of good players are playing the game and excelling at their class because they don't have the mindset of "my class sucks and I need buffs to be good". You people are so desperate for others to say your class sucks so you can validate on why you are not doing well in PvP, raids, or whatever, it's pathetic.

so you believe the vast majority of players are the ones who post on the forums? That is interesting, because i was under the impression that the vast majority of players who post on the forums are the ones who just want to complain about how terrible their class is.

So i shall copy you and say false... The majority of good players are playing the game and excelling at their class because they don't have the mindset of "my class sucks and i need buffs to be good". You people are so desperate for others to say your class sucks so you can validate on why you are not doing well in pvp, raids, or whatever, it's pathetic.

^^^^^^

+1000

I play OP because I like the class (well the idea behind it. We are in need of some major repair) and wanted to see the story. I find Vector highly amusing and can hope one day we will be fixed because I really enjoy healing with probes.

I played concealment op till 50 because I really liked stabby stabs, especially in PvP. Now that I'm 50, I play a healing op because...i hate myself? Lol, idk- i feel like if I can heal effectively as an op, I can probably rock other healing classes as well.

I started playing an Imperial Op because I love the whole cloak and dagger spy thing.

I continue to play because I love the class. I don't chase fotm classes in an mmo. I stick with who I start with. Sometimes the class is the best, sometimes the class gets screwed, but I never leave it. Things will balance out eventually. They always do.

In the meantime, I'm having a blast and not struggling much. Granted I have always loathed pvp and so that is not a factor for me. But with PVE no problems that can't be considered a normal part of learning the class (lvl 31). Played for 27 levels as concealment and curiosity had me switch to lethality. I prefer the latter. I also have a core group of people I play with often. Am happy with my dps within a group. I feel I bring more utility to the group than I did with my sith assassin.

So, happy all around. And as expected, the story is superb.

Edited by Lunazen

I play an op because I wanted to heal for my guild. I didn't want to mess with my sorc and I just hated bounty hunter. I've been enjoying the class. Well except for Kaliyo giving me -1s on some of my choices. I am a patriot after all.

Yeah i thought I was the only one..Kaliyo hates me....

Sounds like you have made up your mind about the state of the class, so why continue playing something you loath? Reroll sorc/consular and be happy.

This is a game, you play it for enjoyment. Play a class that you enjoy and stop trying to bring others down with you because there are plenty who excel at an op/scoundrel.

I think the NOOB Population of Sorc/Consolar has reached its limit. Those classes just make me puke.

I do just fine with my OPS. Your not going to see an OPS hit tops dps for one main reason.... SINGLE TARGET DPS.

Edited by Blaaine

I play a stealth op because of the whole cloak and dagger thing. I like being able to sneak through practically the whole mission if I want to, immobilizing the bad guys, taking away their strengths. It's a little embarrassing that Kaliyo gets most of the aggro, but I like to imagine that my character is the brains, she's the brawn, and it balances up.

the op comes off a bit negative but he does have a valid postion.

for hard modes or raids, if you want a healer you want a sorc, you can do it with an OP just not as good and will be a bit gimped

for DPS you want dont want an OP because they are for the most part melee dps and you want ranged. OP is good burst if they can get behind but thats not realistic in raids and hard modes where ads are poping bosses have aoe ect ect, Ranged is far better.

in all the MMO's i played, a lot of them (never WoW) no company has ever took in a big enough factor that melee need boasts in dps and in the long run never compare to ranged DPS, i think bioware is the worst at this.

I am not against nerfs per say, but the OP nerf was just silly, an op was just a one trick pony in pvp a bit of burst dps, IF he could get behind and stealth thats it.

yeah you can play well and do ok in regular play and in pvp, just not great. I have leveld several classes now and OP is not bad but by far the weakest class i have played with really no home for end game and just blah for pvp now

Edited by Jerstone

So you don't play an OP then?

You realize you posted this nonsense on the Imperial Agent forums, not the Operative forums, correct? Responses are open to Agents, Operative, and Snipers.

In regards to your original nonsense, I play my Operative and Sniper because I enjoy their playstyles, love how they look (especially my sniper), and find them to be more versatile and kinesthetic than my other classes.

EDIT: And the story was so good I had to play it twice.

Also, your opinion that the Operative class sucks is just that. Please do not attempt to turn it into fact by spewing it out of every single one of your posts.

If you're so hell-bent on high numbers, then go play one of those Sages/Sorcerers that you so envy, and kindly get lost.

Edited by All_Under_Heaven

You realize you posted this nonsense on the Imperial Agent forums, not the Operative forums, correct? Responses are open to Agents, Operative, and Snipers.

Sure, but the title of the thread is "Why do you play an Op?" not "why do you play an agent?" Naturally people are going to think, "Why do you play an Op? Oh, guess he's asking OPERATIVE players!"

I honestly don't get the hate. I play a concealment-spec Op, and have zero problem in PvP. Given the advantage of stealth, rolling people 1v1 is generally quite easy, regardless of class.

I can't speak for healing spec, but a well-played concealment Op can absolutely decimate a single target in short order. Conceal, hit, conceal, hit again if necessary... wait for another opportunity, rinse & repeat.

The class requires a bit of patience and strategy to play effectively, which draws criticism from players who are more suited to spamming tracer missiles or lightning and wracking up huge dps.

Don't worry though - with all the complaints, we'll get "looked at" and be labeled "FOTM noobs" for a while, probably very soon.

Had an Operative lvl 40 in one server until my friend and me decided to reroll in a more populated server.

We rolled republic cause my friend was bored of all the imperial maps until tattoine, due the creation of many imperials alts.

I created a smuggler and he a Sent. Liked the smuggler but the story and feeling was not the same as Operative.

Now we are getting the legacy unlocked to create an operative and marauder. I am pretty happy with the operative and he likes more the imperial armor (normal, devs were high on anything when creating the republic armors tbh)

I dont care if the class is torn apart or FOTM. I really loved the story, the looks, the animations, everything...

And things will get balanced sooner or later, and when that time arrives i will have enough mastery if the class to be even deadlier.

Its a matter of playstyle, story, looks and attitude .

If anyone thinking creating an operative is reading this looking for class feedback just focus on this:

Imperial Agent has the best story hands down, one of the best looking classes, lots of utility. Currently due the class balance status it needs more mastery than others to get to the same level, but dont get discouraged.

When i first tried the imp agent out i wasnt sure what i was in for. At lvl 10 i chose the Operative and been luvin it ever since. Acid Blade get it!!

I see a lot of ppl on here saying they have trouble with keeping there energy up well have you tried useing your "stim boost" and "adrenaline probe" just a thought.

Edited by Sinasstar

I started playing an Op as my alt for the stealth ability he has and because i grew tired of spamming tracer missile with my mercenary all the time in a wz or a hm raid. He's currently a concealment specced lv44 with valor rank 41(saying this to show how much i'm pvping) and most of the times in a warzone i will have the most amount of medals among being at least in the top 3 for damage, having at least 30-35 kills with around 5-12 solo kills and with the possibility of not dieng at all in the civil war map being 1/3 of a chance or dieng less then 5 times in all warzones being 2/3 while doing so. If you can use your Shield Probe and Evasion skills good, use Acid Blade before Hidden Strikes or Backstabs and use your Cloaking Screen with some skill you can wreak havoc and become the focused target after half the time in the warzone because of it. The only problem i have so far with an Op is that if i have to kill a sorc/cons usually can out heal my first energy bar and i have to use adrenaline probe and my stuns and interrupt skill with some finesse and they die eventually too.

I honestly don't see what you're complaining about. Maybe it's because I'm not yet lvl 50, but my lvl 45 operative wrecks everything in a warzone. I often manage to get the 300k damage medal when other players are around 100-200k dps and 9 times out of 10 I top the damage in warzones. I don't know about endgame operative play but I sure as hell enjoy playing my lvl 45 operative. If you're thinking about rolling an operative? Do it, they're fun as hell even though they've been hit hard by the nerfbat. Edited by Andreasfuchs

Because he is a spy. I played the game primarily for the story I loved the old republic games so when this one came out I had to play it even though I don't play MMOs. It wasn't till I hit 50 and started PvPing that I realized that he has a harder time getting the same scores as others. Thought about rerolling and did. Played a sort for a bit and hated it. Why because I did have to work to get where I wanted to. It sucked.

Me and my operative against the world, that is where I want to be. I remember several times that I couldn't find a group to do a heroic so I ninja'd my way through. Sitting against walls, stealthed, slowly creeping along trying not to draw aggro, it was the best feeling in the world. I was a spy. Force users are more powerful than the non-user classes. This is star wars, I don't know what game you thought you where playing but In this universe, I'll give you a clue, they are more powerful.

So anyone doesn't like my scores tough. I love my op and I still get 1st place in heals in 75% of the WZs I'm in. I still complete my dailies and get good kills as well. Others think I'm overpowered especially when I drop the hidden strike on them from stealth.

I can't use the force to since you comming, I can't pull you from across the room or jump 50 k-zillion miles to score in huttball, I can't use the force to push me beyond my limits, I'm just naturally this good, cause I'm an op and we don't need your stinking ez button.

That's why I play an op. I take on things more powerful than me, that can get me killed in a blink of an eye, every day, and win.

Redwulf Gonna'slapa'vich for lif...till I stop playing the game. ;)

I honestly don't get the hate. I play a concealment-spec Op, and have zero problem in PvP. Given the advantage of stealth, rolling people 1v1 is generally quite easy, regardless of class.

I can't speak for healing spec, but a well-played concealment Op can absolutely decimate a single target in short order. Conceal, hit, conceal, hit again if necessary... wait for another opportunity, rinse & repeat.

The class requires a bit of patience and strategy to play effectively, which draws criticism from players who are more suited to spamming tracer missiles or lightning and wracking up huge dps.

Don't worry though - with all the complaints, we'll get "looked at" and be labeled "FOTM noobs" for a while, probably very soon.

I think most people are forgetting one important fact that is the Operative is worse then any other class when it comes to specilization. What I mean by that is when it comes to healing, OP is worse then a Sorc/Sage, when it comes to AoE Damage they are worse than many other classes. Most people expected this and knew that OP would be a high burst, hit'n run type of class. However, that is all changed when the nerf bat hit.

My main is a Champion geared Marauder and I have never lost a fair 1 vs 1 fight against an OP/Scoundrel even with double opener. I also have a 50 Operative who just recently hit 50 and in a mix of Cent/Tioenese gear.

The way the class plays is just way too predictable. There aren't variety of CDs, like other classes or any utility skills for emergencies. On my Marauder I have access to 4-5 different skills that I can use at any given time in no particular order to beat pretty much any class 1 vs 1. With an Operative there are so few options available.

Also, these "beast" operatives that people are refrring are just going above and beyond to make this class viable. I mean, how ridiculous is that when one of these guys pretty much integrates Flashbang, cover/bomb into their routine. an OP has no business using cover and it is not the way the class is intended to be played. Using Cover mechanic as a gap-closer? This is not a viable the-way-it-is-intended type of gameplay.

Sure these guys make the class work and make it look good by gong to extremes, however, like many other people said, they will be much better of playing any other class...