I am leveling TOO FAST

skaidar

We do level to fast.

I've skipped a few planets just to be on par level wise.

BW, please decrease xp gains for lvls 10-30.

Why? What's wrong with being able to skip planets?

you aren't supposed to have to do every quest to hit 50. And honestly, being able to skip a planet is awesome because the second time through I have something new to try. Leveling with a specific path every time is just bad.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why? What's wrong with being able to skip planets?

you aren't supposed to have to do every quest to hit 50. And honestly, being able to skip a planet is awesome because the second time through I have something new to try. Leveling with a specific path every time is just bad.

Nothing is wrong with it. I was just saddened to have to skip them to stay current level with quests.

I'm only suggesting a decrease in xp for lvls 10-20/30, and not a major decrease. Just enough that if someone did a good chunk of quests on all of the initial planets they wouldn't out level future content.

It's not a major issue, but it's something I feel needs a bit more tweaking.

Just my humble opinion.

;)

You know, in all the best MMOs (IMO), you can't do ALL the low level content with one character. Most good MMOs have multiple paths to get to max level. Heck, in EQ2, I can think of 6 completely different quest areas that will get you to level 20, and if you do any one of them, you outlevel the other 5.

I think it's a good thing that you can skip entire areas with your first character. When you play your next, just do it then, so you can experience new things with the next character.

I think the "gaining xp too fast" complaint is very much a compliment to the content of the game.

The alternative is for them to require you to complete every quest on a planet to hit the level required for the next planet. That would be an absolute disaster - if a single quest glitched out, or you were roleplaying and couldn't possibly take a "murder X jawas" quest, you would be forced to sit there and grind mobs until you hit the next level and could move on.

The way the game is built, it allows you to do many things and gain EXP from what you want. If it turns grey, so what? I still do grey space missions because I like them. Crazy concept, play the game because you want to play it, not because it's giving you more numbers on your imaginary score sheet.

I went out and brought a PS3 just so i could play dark souls ( it was woth every penny, best game ever ).

Easy / casual / quick / entitlment = boring REALLY quick.

I find it ironic that you mention DARK SOULS as though it's some kind of hardcore game. Dark Souls is the CASUAL version of Demon's Souls, which itself is honestly one of the more accessible King's Field games due to the increased speed of play (the original King's Field series is much more realistic in terms of combat and movement speed).

When I got Dark Souls, I hit level 73, had reached the bottom of the world, turned into a dragon and started invading people's games within my first play session, because of how much easier it is than Demon's Souls. It's a great game, but it follows the same pattern of "casualization of leveling" that every other RPG has followed.

-

Frankly, the days of "leveling" being the 90% and raiding / end-game being some weird thing you couldn't imagine doing... are long gone. Games are built for the end-game now. You aren't going to find a game like PSO anymore where hitting level 100 (or 200 in v2) was an event that happened *after* you had already killed all of the bosses, seen every dungeon and explored the entire world. Modern MMOs have you hitting max level and then entering a different sort of progression, which frankly does make more sense, as it deals with the "player stranding" that could occur in games like Everquest as they aged.

We only need to look at what happened with FF XI - with new players literally never being able to see their long-time player friends until the implementation of a bolster system (which caused its own set of problems).

The actual problem here imho is with the quest xp scaling. You receive too much xp for quests that are 3-4 level below you. Quests at your level give about the right amount of xp.

But (for example ) if you complete every quest on tatooine with every quest being 3 levels below you, then hit Alderann with every quest 4 levels below you, then theres a problem.

Reducing[1] the scaling would fix this without changing the amount of xp you get for quests at your level.

1. or increasing the scaling if you prefer: reducing the amount of xp for being over the quest level.

[edit]

I didn't actually word that very well so another way.

If the normal progression is planet A -> planet B. And you are part way through the quests on planet A and are already such that you are 1 level ahead of the start of planet B, should the remaining quests on planet A allow you to get to the point that you are 2 levels ahead of the start of planet B.

Edited by uteboy

The actual problem here imho is with the quest xp scaling. You receive too much xp for quests that are 3-4 level below you. Quests at your level give about the right amount of xp.

But (for example ) if you complete every quest on tatooine with every quest being 3 levels below you, then hit Alderann with every quest 4 levels below you, then theres a problem.

Reducing[1] the scaling would fix this without changing the amount of xp you get for quests at your level.

1. or increasing the scaling if you prefer: reducing the amount of xp for being over the quest level.

[edit]

I didn't actually word that very well so another way.

If the normal progression is planet A -> planet B. And you are part way through the quests on planet A and are already such that you are 1 level ahead of the start of planet B, should the remaining quests on planet A allow you to get to the point that you are 2 levels ahead of the start of planet B.

I agree this is a good concept - have the experience numbers for quests vary such that, in some sense, they push you towards level parity, either giving bonus experience if you are under level, or reduced experience if you are ahead.

I agree this is a good concept - have the experience numbers for quests vary such that, in some sense, they push you towards level parity, either giving bonus experience if you are under level, or reduced experience if you are ahead.

While it would be better than current situation, I think the best way (as someone suggested) would be to give us a "xp modifier slider" that would scale the xp we get from 0 to 100%. Those who want to level fast or think the current pace is fine, would keep it at 100 and continue as it is now. Those of us who would like to do more content could set the slider to 50% or so and keep at the level of the quests. Or put it to 0 for a while and stay few levels below, makes the fights feel so much more rewarding (and that would be entirely optional, no reason to start raging about elitists forcing their ways to "casuals"!) :)

Edited by Freor

I totally agree.Leveling is -WAY- too fast i'd say,

I liked the idea of bonus quests etc,but ..

1)They give too much XP

2)Useless once you cap(most of them)

They could make a change so that all(and not "some" of them)the bonus quests reward you with items/mods/money

and solve both of the issues.

Also,the space missions give way too much XP as well.

Every time i gain a lvl and go to my ship to complete the new space missions,i find myself getting another half lvl just by doing them the first time.

Something must be done about this as well.

While it would be better than current situation, I think the best way (as someone suggested) would be to give us a "xp modifier slider" that would scale the xp we get from 0 to 100%. Those who want to level fast or think the current pace is fine, would keep it at 100 and continue as it is now. Those of us who would like to do more content could set the slider to 50% or so and keep at the level of the quests. Or put it to 0 for a while and stay few levels below, makes the fights feel so much more rewarding (and that would be entirely optional, no reason to start raging about elitists forcing their ways to "casuals"!) :)

Yeah, that would be a good way to do it as well.

They are not going to make it easy and convenient for you to finish all the content in 2 months. They want more than a 2 month sub out of you. Get real.

a lot of us finished within the free days

they didnt even get a sub out of most of my friends, i however have subbed until i have 8 level 50s of each faction, i will then unsub

Im sorry but your main concern is argueing with people on the internet but I have not met a single person who thinks leveling is proper speed when they try to enjoy the content.

Now you've met one. I think it's fine and I love the story and quests. So now you can't use that argument anymore.

Edited by Caelrie

This is my second toon and playthrough, and I havent started voss yet but I'm soon level 48, that means corellia left IIRC, but I know that I'll be doing abit of pvp and some flashpoints soon, I'we actually skipped some quests this time (I dont want to redo some of the quests I allready did and they are grey).

Everytime I start a new planet (since tatooine basicly) my quests have been grey or green, before I'm done with the class quest, so yeah it feels like the xp is abit to high to be honest, unless you skip pvp, spacemissions and flashpoints (more then once I suppose atleast).

Considering how much effort and time they put into all the questing, and now they are ruining it themselves by making us level too fast and forcing us to miss and abandon too many quests and quest lines just because we are way above the level...

Hope that made sense. Let me explain anyway.

The thing I hate most are the bonus quests. They pop up every time and sometimes it's even impossible not to do them (too many mobs between point A and point B, which you can't just run through), so they give you too much experience, you level too fast, and you are forced to abandon the cool quests in Nar Shaddaa for example, because the class quest is calling you to another planet, and it's kinda pointless to stay and do gray quests.

So here's what I think - there should be no bonus quests at all, or at least very few on only certain special places, and the experience from the normal quests should be reduced too. If anyone is that eager to power level I am sure he will find ways (PVP, flashpoints and space combats) but why do you have to ruin the questing experience for everyone else?

/Dissagree.

There were plenty of times i was 2 levels below a planet when i got there. I am a soloer so I dont get to do the low end flashpoints. I doo all the quests at the various quest hubs or in a series of quests. If a quest giver is in some obscure place chances are i didnt doit cause i didnt see the npc. Some people areriddled with OCD and are completionists good for them but not all of us are.

If they were to triple the amount of quests there was to do then i could see lowering the XP gain.

Perhaps they could add new leveling planets and tie it into the class quest somehow by recieving and email from your superiors telling you to seek out a specific NPC on said new planet.

An across the board 5% XP reduction for all mob kills, space missions, PvP, and quests would pretty much take care of this problem. It would be big enough to make a difference in the over-levelling that's taking place for nearly everyone and it wouldn't be so large as to make the gameplay feel like a grind for those who are content.

I generally support this as I've outleveled every world since Coruscant and have missed almost every Bonus Series and even the World Arc for Alderaan.

Currently i have a merc that is level 22 and has not even donw half the quests on Balmorra.

I don't really mind that i'm a bit higher than everything else i could just leave out a few side quests and not do as many space missions.