Force Leap From High Up = Fall Damage?

Starglide

If you force leap/charge from a standing start, no problems. If you force leap/charge while in the air, you take falling damage equal to the total distance dropped while in the air. It's always been like this. Pretty sure it has to do with how the falling mechanic works and not how force leap/charge works.

If you force leap/charge from a standing start, no problems. If you force leap/charge while in the air, you take falling damage equal to the total distance dropped while in the air. It's always been like this. Pretty sure it has to do with how the falling mechanic works and not how force leap/charge works.

Its always been this way.

Its bloody useful in the SoA fight when jumping down as it gives your healers 1 less person to have to worry about

Its bloody useful in the SoA fight when jumping down as it gives your healers 1 less person to have to worry about

Its always been where you DO NOT receive fall damage. I used to use this in SOA as well. Now I cannot.

It makes sense not to. If you happen to cast force leap at the pristine time, you should be rewarded. It is little perks like these that add up to make people love their class.

Its always been where you DO NOT receive fall damage. I used to use this in SOA as well. Now I cannot.

It makes sense not to. If you happen to cast force leap at the pristine time, you should be rewarded. It is little perks like these that add up to make people love their class.

Incorrect.

You always took damage if you leapt while in the air (at least starting on Jan 15th, which is when I first did it on a marauder). You didn't use to take damage if you leapt from a standing start (e.g. you can leap from a platform to a node on Soa and not take damage, but if you leap to the node after jumping, you take damage). I am not sure if the latter is changed now, haven't logged on in ages.

Edited by Ashnazg

I think what someone posted above is correct. If you use force leap by just standing on the ledge to a lower ledge you do not receive the damage. But if you jump off the ledge then force leap you will receive the fall damage.

Even still, this should be fixed. Not a major issue, but like I stated before; little perks like these add up to make someone love their class.

I am not sure if the latter is changed now, haven't logged on in ages.

I advise you come back. I think it is fair to give BioWare the opportunity since the foundation is great and positive changes are the plenty on the horizon.

Incorrect.

You always took damage if you leapt while in the air (at least starting on Jan 15th, which is when I first did it on a marauder). You didn't use to take damage if you leapt from a standing start (e.g. you can leap from a platform to a node on Soa and not take damage, but if you leap to the node after jumping, you take damage). I am not sure if the latter is changed now, haven't logged on in ages.

This was my experience as well, so unless they changed it within the last week or so, you will only take the fall damage if you jump before doing the charge/intercede. Using those abilities while standing on the ground will negate falling damage.

Also use Intercede if you so happen to it. You can bypass quite a bit of damage by switching between the two while moving down the platforms.

Seems it calculates the land based on where you are. If you're in the air it 'sets' you down next to the target. If that distance would cause fall damage you take it. If you do it while on ground it considers the downward distance zero, thus no fall damage. This is also why you can be knocked back before you're even in range of the target(just at the start of the jump).

It's a little annoying but once you get use to timing it, it becomes minor. Be nice if they fixed it to work better(especially if I'm being knocked back before I'm even near the target yet). But there are many more things I prefer to see fixed. I'd assume a short 1-2 second hidden buff that makes you take no fall damage would band-aid it. Wouldn't fix the knockback issue though. Then again as a Marauder, I sell my ability to use an offhand for a knockback counter.

In short: Don't jump unless you have to. Even if it does look cooler.

Edited by Cindikle