Companions: No Force users for NON-Force classes?

Jeraxxus

It's been bothering me for a while now, Bioware.

How come Force using companions are not included into classes that don't use force powers?

I mean, are you being under the impression that Force characters are simply too important to be lead by somebody who doesn't have Force?

It been seen before that military has Jedis and they're being lead my normal troopers.

Surely with the awesome plotting skills your writers posess, you could come up with a deacent enough story for a Force using companion to join a class that doesn't have it.

Looking forward to have them included in the next expansion, Bioware.

Good luck! =)

Edited by Jeraxxus

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I noticed that my smuggler does not get any force user companions.

But also, I think that stereotypically, smugglers are supposed to be skeptical of force stuff.

For the 'story' I feel like I can understand why my smuggler does not get force-user companions. I couldn't say how much of that applies to the other classes though.

But also, I think that stereotypically, smugglers are supposed to be skeptical of force stuff.

For the 'story' I feel like I can understand why my smuggler does not get force-user companions. I couldn't say how much of that applies to the other classes though.

Bounty Hunter gets no force using companions (I would assume the same for a trooper then too).

That's just Solo talking, I don't see my smuggler not having a Force user.

Vector the agent companion that is a joiner wears gear that is the same as a sorcs and kinda has strange powers, but i don't think he's actually force sensitive.

Well, he's just a normal non-force sensetive human, Joined and imbued with Killek powers, so he's not really Force sensetive, he's just swarming people. =P

Bowdaar technically uses Force based weapons, since he uses Vibroswords.

Trooper gets no force-sensitive companions, but from a story perspective this makes sense.

Agent also gets no force-sensitive companions, but considering certain trends in the story this also makes sense.

Bounty Hunter and Smuggler are (flavor-wise) generally lone wolves who aren't TECHNICALLY affiliated with the Empire/Republic, so it makes sense in a way that they don't have Jedi or Sith companions.

So the reason none of them have Jedi or Sith companions is because... well... it makes SENSE that they don't have them. It almost feels like you'd have to shoehorn one in with a crowbar to get it to work.

Agent also gets no force-sensitive companions, but considering certain trends in the story this also makes sense.

That's not true. Ensign Temple is Force Sensitive. She used the Jedi Mind trick before you get her as a companion, and there are even conversations about it. She's just not a Force Wielder as of such.

Edited by Darkranko

That's not true. Ensign Temple is Force Sensitive. She used the Jedi Mind trick before you get her as a companion, and there are even conversations about it. She's just not a Force Wielder as of such.

Beaten by the login! But yea, I think she even has a minor force-based attack (don't use her much). TBH, the non-force based classes seem to be lower on the totem poll (generally speaking), than the force-users...so why would a force-user choose to be our lackey? :)

I was about to mention this too, Ensign Temple says that she used a force trick, she's just powerful enough to get in trouble. "If the Sith knew, they'd have her killed."

A Sith would never follow a bounty hunter or an imperial agent, since they are supposed to be higher than anybody else.

Just look how other people talk to them, my lord, forgive me for asking, etc

Jedi even though not as much as the Sith, still wouldn't work under non Jedi, maybe only for a special mission but only temporarily.

At least that's the way I think of it.

I was disappointed by this too. While I'm not sure a by-the-code, proper Jedi would ever join a Smuggler's crew, I can see a former Jedi, grey Jedi, or even a wayward (un-fallen? lol) young Sith joining. I figure if Sith Inquisitors can get a (nice, lightside!) Jedi Padawan companion, the writers could figure out how to give non-Force user classes a Force using companion . . . if they wanted to. Companions often have very unusual and special back stories (ex: Khem Val)!

My Smuggler's companion Bowdaar wears Jedi (Guardian) gear. You can't see gear you equip on him, and honestly I think that is exactly why they chose to give him it. It is like they wanted to give the companions a variety of primary stats, but didn't want to give any Force-user companions to non-Force user classes.

Regarding Guss:

He is indeed force sensitive, I believe he was a Jedi apprentice but it just didn't work out. But -- he uses the same stats as my Sawbones does, not willpower like a Jedi healer would (Guss is a healer). So really, he isn't using the Force in battle and may as well not be force sensitive. It seems clear that Guss is not fit to be a Jedi and probably wouldn't dress like one, anyway, unless he was trying to con someone. xD

I do tend to view Force users as "more powerful" than others, Star Wars universe-wise, but for the purposes of this game ALL classes are meant to be equally strong. I may think it is silly for my Smuggler to be able to storm a well-fortified Imperial base single-handedly (ok, with Corso lol), but that's the way it is in this game so there is no reason that non-Force users shouldn't get Force-using companions.

Edited by Gwena

A Sith would never follow a bounty hunter or an imperial agent, since they are supposed to be higher than anybody else.

Jedi even though not as much as the Sith, still wouldn't work under non Jedi, maybe only for a special mission but only temporarily.

this is what i was thinking as well. i can't imagine a sith or jedi acting as a companion.

No really good reason just like there is no good reason some dps classes get a useful healer right from the start while others get a useless companion, just as some classes get a second and third companion rather quickly while others have to wait for three fifths of the game to progress before they get a second who is still useless.

Bioware decided a certain amount of diversity was required between the classes for some things, such as when companions are acquired, but not all things, such as having force user companions (even say independent / fallen / outcast) for all classes.

Edited by DawnAskham

I don't see why they BW didn't add force users for the non-force classes. I mean, they are our companions, not our slaves, followers, crew, troops, lackeys, etc. By definition they are people who are traveling with you, and I'm sure the creative writing team could think of some reason for a force user to travel with you.

I was disappointed by this too. While I'm not sure a by-the-code, proper Jedi would ever join a Smuggler's crew, I can see a former Jedi, grey Jedi, or even a wayward (un-fallen? lol) young Sith joining.

The old grey jedi from KOTOR I companion, don't remember the name, was a smuggler in the past. He told you it was during this time he met his future wife.

Long story short, being force sensitive, even if you are not a Jedi/Sith or knowing of it (thinking you are skilled and lucky) is obviously a very good thing for such a job.

The problem comes from the lore I guess. Even if I'm not a real pro of SW, and not a nerd at all, it seems Sith feel they are superior, so I wouldn't understand why they are receiving orders from a non sensitive guy. Jedi lead armies, they do not follow. It's about the same than Sith, except they are Jedi and won't say/think they are superior.

that maybe but, but keep in mind:

there always are/and will be exceptions

The old grey jedi from KOTOR I companion, don't remember the name, was a smuggler in the past. He told you it was during this time he met his future wife.

Long story short, being force sensitive, even if you are not a Jedi/Sith or knowing of it (thinking you are skilled and lucky) is obviously a very good thing for such a job.

The problem comes from the lore I guess. Even if I'm not a real pro of SW, and not a nerd at all, it seems Sith feel they are superior, so I wouldn't understand why they are receiving orders from a non sensitive guy. Jedi lead armies, they do not follow. It's about the same than Sith, except they are Jedi and won't say/think they are superior.

Exactly as you put it: a Sith or Jedi would normally not follow a non force sensitive. Yet exceptions happen. The Exile did have Kreia long before she figured out she was force sensitive. One could play through almost the entire game as a non force-sensitive.

On top of that, NOT every Force Sensitive has to be a Jedi or a Sith. There are plenty other force using individuals and groups throughout SW lore. And that isn't even counting the Sith apprentices who succeeded at fleeing the accedemy, or Jedi Padawans who didn't finish their entire training. I seriously wouldn't be amazed if some Gray Jedi decided to become a companion to about any character, especially a non-sensitive one, to help for whatever reason he pleases, while trying to stay below the radar of the Jedi and Sith factions.

And a companion doesn't necesarily have to be a follower. There's also roles for equals, or mentors. Kreia was actually more of a mentor. Still, she was a companion NPC of the player character.

And calling Vectors' abilities Killik tricks? Sorry, but even the lore would agree that Vector is most probably force sensitive. The Force flows through about every living being, and something like a Killik Swarm could definitely allow the swarm as a whole to benefit from only a few force sensitives among them, in a way that it would seem every swarm member was force sensitive.

Let's go on about Vector. It's even very possible he was a latent force sensitive, and that the joining unlocked his talent. His entire brain processing was altered by the joining, so yes, something like that could definitely happen.

Edited by AsheraII

A way to work in it(in say the BH story) would be to have a test of strength or so to speak. Have this Sith who feels he's far superior to any non Force user and have him get pistol whipped by my Bounty Hunter. He then starts to respect the power of the Bounty Hunter and joins him as an equal, not a sexy sidekick(Mako).

More unique companions is always a good thing, especially when thinking forward and expanding our class story over the next few years.

Exactly as you put it: a Sith or Jedi would normally not follow a non force sensitive. Yet exceptions happen. The Exile did have Kreia long before she figured out she was force sensitive. One could play through almost the entire game as a non force-sensitive.

On top of that, NOT every Force Sensitive has to be a Jedi or a Sith. There are plenty other force using individuals and groups throughout SW lore. And that isn't even counting the Sith apprentices who succeeded at fleeing the accedemy, or Jedi Padawans who didn't finish their entire training. I seriously wouldn't be amazed if some Gray Jedi decided to become a companion to about any character, especially a non-sensitive one, to help for whatever reason he pleases, while trying to stay below the radar of the Jedi and Sith factions.

And a companion doesn't necesarily have to be a follower. There's also roles for equals, or mentors. Kreia was actually more of a mentor. Still, she was a companion NPC of the player character.

And calling Vectors' abilities Killik tricks? Sorry, but even the lore would agree that Vector is most probably force sensitive. The Force flows through about every living being, and something like a Killik Swarm could definitely allow the swarm as a whole to benefit from only a few force sensitives among them, in a way that it would seem every swarm member was force sensitive.

Let's go on about Vector. It's even very possible he was a latent force sensitive, and that the joining unlocked his talent. His entire brain processing was altered by the joining, so yes, something like that could definitely happen.

Thank you! That's what I was trying to say. Except for the Vector bit.

I hope in future expansions, Bioware adds force users to classes without it.