The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Cover should NOT block LOS for charge

Anatlos

Plain and simple. If my mercenary can shoot a sniper all day while he's behind cover and still deal damage to him, there's no reason why my juggernaut shouldn't be able to get close enough to deal damage to the sniper as well. It's not even like we do more damage to them at melee range, we do roughly the same amount of damage they do (except lolsmash, but you build a burst class, expect a burst).

Cover/excessive rooting preventing warriors from getting in to attack is simply dumb. It is really dumb. For real.

EDIT: Just for clarification, I will concede that blocking LOS for charge from the front makes sense to an extent, as snipers receive a defensive bonus against range characters from the front. Attacking from behind, however, eliminates this edge for them. It should be consistent.

I would propose giving the sniper a MELEE defense bonus from the front as well, which would make sense hiding behind their little infant-resistant security system.

Edited by Anatlos

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Snipers need that utility. Play a sniper and see how ridiculous cover is in itself that everyone can kick you out of it. We have a 1 min cd that lets us stay in cover no matter what for 20 seconds but aside from that all you have to do is force choke or stasis a gunslinger or sniper then charge up then.

lol

yeah sniper/slinger are op need a nerf, they're just like segal.

Not quite what I'm saying. What I'm saying is that if you're completely behind a sniper, you shouldn't get the "target is in cover" message, as (if memory serves) they don't get any additional defense bonus against other range characters who are shooting behind them. Why should they be completely immune to anything a warrior throws at them besides our 30 second ranged cooldown attack that does hardly anything?

Nice troll, bro. You got some bites already. 6/10.

Edit: On a more serious note, it's the *only* thing they have going for them. It's crap/buggy enough as it is without more tampering with it. Besides, it's not like they're not being constantly pulled out of cover and thus rendered useless if using the 1st spec tree with all the knockbacks every time Entrench/Hunker Down is on a cooldown.

2nd Edit: Oh, and Entrench/Hunker Down has *very* noticeable effects. LoS them and /wave till it wears off. Been done to my 30ish sniper alt and I do it all the time on other chars.

Edited by Maruchani

While I feel that cover SHOULD block charge to some extent, I also feel that it should take into account player Position. IE I should be able to charge the gunslinger/sniper that's got his back exposed to me. It would be tricky as **** to code in an mmo though...

Snipers need that utility. Play a sniper and see how ridiculous cover is in itself that everyone can kick you out of it. We have a 1 min cd that lets us stay in cover no matter what for 20 seconds but aside from that all you have to do is force choke or stasis a gunslinger or sniper then charge up then.

Force choke has a 10m range. You can't use that before a charge.

And a 1 min cooldown on an ability that lets you use your attacks effectively for 20 seconds while being harassed? Wish i had something like that... If you're being attacked by people constantly knocking you out of cover for more than 20 seconds I'd imagine it's time to move.

As posted above, playing a sniper in pvp, that charge is the one thing we want less of. Our cover provides that. Let me make an example;

In real life (Yeah, just go with it), if you're hiding behind a wall (Just listen) and some guy with a grenade runs at you and magically walks through the wall, what's the point of the wall?

Unless they're chuck norris, in which case he can become the wall.

But anyway, snipers are very squishy vs sents/maras, so allowing them to charge us WHILE in cover, will just ruin our reliability and make cover completely useless.

As posted above, playing a sniper in pvp, that charge is the one thing we want less of. Our cover provides that. Let me make an example;

In real life (Yeah, just go with it), if you're hiding behind a wall (Just listen) and some guy with a grenade runs at you and magically walks through the wall, what's the point of the wall?

Unless they're chuck norris, in which case he can become the wall.

But anyway, snipers are very squishy vs sents/maras, so allowing them to charge us WHILE in cover, will just ruin our reliability and make cover completely useless.

You're not hiding behind the wall if they're behind you. The whole mechanic doesn't work the way it should.

Immunity to Charge means you guys have a staggering advantage over 25% of the available classes. Without getting into melee range (which you can knock us right back out of, root us, stun us, move, then root us again), we can do NOTHING at all.

And finally, I'd just toss the grenade to the side of the wall, as the blast radius would still get you.

Edited by Anatlos

The one reason this hasn't really bothered me yet... there is always an idiot standing beside the sniper I can force charge too ^_______^

Well there's your solution, and the sad thing is, it's true.

Always some moron standing near me, usually a healer or an uncovered range class, like a stupid operative thinking ranged is better.

OP is mad because smugglers are shooting him from behind cover on the railing at the Ilum Republic base and he can't charge then force push them off into the sea of lightning zerg.

Actually, this is more focused on Warzones. Ilum has nothing to do with it, and besides what good would kicking them off rafters in Ilum do since I can't enter the base anyway?

Actually, this is more focused on Warzones. Ilum has nothing to do with it, and besides what good would kicking them off rafters in Ilum do since I can't enter the base anyway?

You can be on the railing just outside of the base without insta-death. See, I just taught a zergling something.

I kind of feel like you should be able to charge a sniper when they drop their moveable cover from behind. It would seriously gimp them though so it is prolly not a good idea.

By making them vulnerable to damage from melee attackers? Everyone else can be attacked by melee attackers, so what makes them so special?

Well there's your solution, and the sad thing is, it's true.

Always some moron standing near me, usually a healer or an uncovered range class, like a stupid operative thinking ranged is better.

funny i prefer the healers to be near me sicne i can drop that balistic dampening field 20% damage reduction on 10m raius thingo. so even if they charge the healer a quick cover pulse and they have just wasted a charge CD follow up with legshot and now they are ready for a ambush+exp probe combo if they havent already eaten it on the way to me. very little survives full sniper rotation unless they can get you out of cover somehow. Entrench, shield probe, balistic dampener field, even the specced cover balistic dampeners can make you a TANK for a short time all while dotting everyone.

i went capped left turret on alderan WZ by myself and then 6 of them came my way fortfeiting the middle. so i called the inc and i entrenched blew all my defensive CDS dotted/poisoned everyone and eventually died. the dots made sure they cant cap and no one was smart enough to clense so when i got back i continued dotting everyone until friendlies arrived to re-enforce.

calling snipers DPS and thinking WE KILL THINGS ONLY is a bit of a misnomer.

Snipers i find to have a myriad of utility skills that make life insanely hard for the oposition if done correctly.

also if someone charges you they are basically doing SELF STUN because anyone coming into melee eats a Debilitate and if specced right you get a speed buff to regain distance.

Snipers i think are one of the more annoying classes to go up against due to their excessive utility.

You're not hiding behind the wall if they're behind you. The whole mechanic doesn't work the way it should.

Immunity to Charge means you guys have a staggering advantage over 25% of the available classes. Without getting into melee range (which you can knock us right back out of, root us, stun us, move, then root us again), we can do NOTHING at all.

And finally, I'd just toss the grenade to the side of the wall, as the blast radius would still get you.

Booohooo. When you reach them (which means changing the timing in your rotations fyi) you destroy them. So STHU already. :rolleyes:

As someone who plays both a sniper and a marauder, I fully agree that it is stupid that someone with a wall at their back is immune to someone leaping towards them.

That said, it is just as stupid for a sniper being unable to take cover in place when rooted.

See the dilemma here?

Charge = root, charge to cover = no cover. :(

Ideally, we get rid of the stupid root = no cover mechanic, then we let cover prevent charge positionally, with the ability to completely nullify charge by dropping portable cover with your back to natural cover.

..Wow....your serious...

Dear Devs

Paper is too OP..I cant leap to it, and everytime they see me they kill me at ranged..

Please nerf them..They will be fine even if i am in melee range..

O dont worry about Scissors..

They are balanced.

Sincerely ~

Rock.

..Wow....your serious...

Dear Devs

Paper is too OP..I cant leap to it, and everytime they see me they kill me at ranged..

Please nerf them..They will be fine even if i am in melee range..

O dont worry about Scissors..

They are balanced.

Sincerely ~

Rock.

When you don't have a chance to get to them because you're constantly getting stunned, knocked back, rooted, and all the while turned into swiss cheese? Yeah, that sucks. Try it some time.