Orange (moddable) belts... suck?

MrArrogant

So I got lucky and found an orange (moddable) belt on the GTN. (At least I thought I was lucky...) They seem really rare and I'd never actually come across one before. So I get excited and get my Cybertech to craft up the blue quality mods to fill it out. I get it all put together and compare it with with the blue crafted belt my character is already wearing and I'm shocked to see its stats are all worse. Seriously... what a waste!

And the blue craftable belt with better stats isn't even an RE'ed belt. It's just a basic (buy the plans off the vendor) blue belt.

I have a bunch of orange quality items on my other characters. When kept up to date with blue quality mods they're usually better than any other gear I come across. So I'm left totally disappointed with the one orange belt I've come across. It seems worthless when it's more expensive to mod out an orange belt that's inferior statwise to easily available crafted gear. What's the point?

This might be a stupid question, but what type of belt is it? Cause belts can be light, medium or heavy, right? If you are a medium/heavy armor user and you got a light belt, then even with the -best- mods, it will still have a lower armor rating than a "blue" quality medium/heavy belt would.

This might be a stupid question, but what type of belt is it? Cause belts can be light, medium or heavy, right? If you are a medium/heavy armor user and you got a light belt, then even with the -best- mods, it will still have a lower armor rating than a "blue" quality medium/heavy belt would.

It's a heavy armor belt for my Juggernaut. And not just the armor was lower but the strength and endurance as well. It actually had a lower item rating than the basic blue craftable belt.

Like I said, the orange moddable armor I've had on my other characters has been pretty boss. It's almost a bit of a letdown since when kept up to date they're always better than other drops/rewards I've had available. That's why I was totally surprised this belt sucked so much. I'm wondering if there's just a problem with the orange belts.

Anyone else gotten an orange (moddable) belt and found when modded out with appropriate level blue mods your stats are still worse than other blue gear?

Not sure what to tell you, but my belt has a 58 armoring and 56 mod in it and it's a 15 aim and 7 end improvement over the vendor dps Rakata belt.

Maybe they scale better at higher levels then. I guess I'll keep it around and hope at some point it gets better than basic crafted gear. Thanks for the info.

Did you put in the right level mod/armoring?

I've never seen a blue lvl X armor have different armor rating than any other blue lvl X armor, or that given by a blue lvl x armoring.

This is what my guess would have been. At the very least, the two items should be comparable (depending on the mods inserted) - the moddable shouldn't be worse.

OK. Let's do a little bit of assumption here.

I have a syntheweaver and know that I can go 10 levels before my next craftable belt. I also know that I have had wrists that I could craft 3 levels in a row.

So, assumptions, what level is your current belt, how do the stats measure/differ, what are the mods?, and when can you make your next belt? how many levels do you have to wait for "the next best thing"?

Maybe the orange belt is both better and worse, depending on how "new" your recently crafted "superior/artifact" belt may be? Sort of an "average", but better than normal, belt.

As I said, it is all assumption, not having nor knowing all the details.

Did you put in the right level mod/armoring?

I've never seen a blue lvl X armor have different armor rating than any other blue lvl X armor, or that given by a blue lvl x armoring.

Yeah, they're appropriate level mods.

Here's all the specifics:

It was a Blade Tyrant's Belt. Heavy armor orange belt on the GTN that requires lvl 12 and Sith Warrior Class. I gave it to my lvl 14 Sith Warrior Juggernaut alt. Added in Might Armoring 4 which is the blue level 13 armoring mod and the highest available for my alt at that level. He was already wearing the Synth Assault Belt I'd crafted for him which is also a lvl 13 blue item with plans straight from the vendor.

So the armoring is lvl 13 blue and the crafted belt is lvl 13 blue. However, if you look at the item pages linked the armoring is rating 40 and the Synth Assault Belt is rating 42. I know it's rather low level, but my higher level Merc has a lot of orange gear with level appropriate blue mods installed and that gear is always better than anything else I come across. Looking at the item pages, I guess it's not a problem with the belt but maybe the disparity in the armoring? Why is the blue armoring mod rated lower than the blue crafted belt? I guess that's the real issue. Hopefully as I level the Juggernaut alt up the disparity will reverse. It's not worth adding purple mods at that level. And right now it seems kind of silly to bother with it. It takes more mats to mod out the orange belt than to make the blue crafted belt. And doing so only produces a belt with inferior stats. That's my real issue.

The orange belt requires more mats/credits to keep it up to date for your level than the basic crafted blue belt. That would be acceptable if it afforded you better stats. But it in fact produces an inferior item at that level which makes it pointless. My higher level Merc with orange items in other slots seems to have better stats than other gear at his level. If this belt turns around and scales better at higher levels then I suppose it's worth keeping around. Otherwise it seems like kind of a waste.

You don't specify which of the variants the Blade Tyrant's Belt is, nor if it is augmentable.

Just checking Armor/Mod/Enhancement stats for what would be able to be used by a level 13, same as the Blade Tyrant's Belt, you would give up 1 point of Strength and gain 8 points in Endurance.

That does not include any benefits from the "stock" orange belt itself.

Those are using the Superior modifications, not Artifact or "Green".

So even though the "Armor Rating" says one thing, it may not always be "better". Maybe depends on what stats you are looking for, and at higher levels you do get access to a lot more variety.

Edited by Esproc

I picked up an orange Saber Marshall belt for my sorc on the GTN. When I tried modding it, I couldn't get the specs up to match what I got from drops or mission rewards.

I think it's because it only has 2 slots while the Saber Marshall chest and leg pieces have 3. There needs to be another slot in the belt to equalize the stats on it.

I picked up an orange Saber Marshall belt for my sorc on the GTN. When I tried modding it, I couldn't get the specs up to match what I got from drops or mission rewards.

I think it's because it only has 2 slots while the Saber Marshall chest and leg pieces have 3. There needs to be another slot in the belt to equalize the stats on it.

Belts and bracers do not have as many stats as helms, chests, gloves, legs and boots and therefore moddable belts and bracers have one less slot to reflect this. I can verify that properly modded orange belts and bracers are better than (non crit) Rakata bracers.

I picked up some orange bracers off the GTN. Putting a garbage level 51 armoring from daily comms and a 56 mod from excess pvp gear into them resulted in bracers marginally better than Rakata.

105 willpower 10 power on orange vs 103 wp 11 power on Rakata.

Picking up a 58 armoring out of Karraga's and putting them in there upped it to:

118 wp 10 power.

Yes crit Rakata with an augment slot would still be better.

But after patch 1.2 crit orange bracers with 58 armoring 58 mod and 50 augment will be BIS over crit Rakata.

Edited by Darth_Pernisc

But after patch 1.2 crit orange bracers with 58 armoring 58 mod and 50 augment will be BIS over crit Rakata.

Don't you need to be able to craft something in order to crit with it? I've never seen any orange bracer/belt recipe (for scythweaving, at least) before.

Edited by Lemina_Ausa

I think the OP is rushing to judgement a little... the value of these items isn't so apparent at L13-14... lol.

At L50, these items hold their value once you slot them properly... nevermind the fact you will have easily upgraded commendation mods at every planet/tier to keep your belt at top-tier condition as you level from L11-50.

To say they "suck" is to be ignorant, imho.

And yes, to loot one of these currently is like winning the lottery to the tune of 250k credits on the GTN... we'll see if 1.2 changes this or not.