Combat Medic Companion?

IIIDCManIII

Jorgan in my experience. He isn't a tank just a ranged DPS but he can take some hits. He also does a very nice amount of AOE as you get higher in level. That being said I don't have a lot of experience using the robot so some may disagree.

i'm level 24 right now and just got elara. however i think i will stick with aric right through to the end just because he can use all my old gear. lots of people seem to use others and go out of their way to gear them up. i dont know how useful companions are once you hit level 50 other than to craft stuff. Edited by Kokocabana

Jorgan is the way to go until Vik in your high 30's. Jorgan can take hits and his damage is very nice. Elara is okay, but your damage output really suffers and then as a heal spec your trying to pump out nearly all of your damage too. Sucks and doesn't work well.

M1-4X has a tank spec, but believe me... he is NOT a tank. I fully geared him out when I first got him, he took MORE damage than Jorgan, dealt less damage and I found myself trying to keep him healed far more than is healthy.

Vik, which I just recently got, has made the healing job while soloing much, much easier. While his damage is lower than Jorgan's, he is a true tank companion and when geared up near par for your level can handle most enemies, including champions. My one issue with Vik is that bloody, stupid, repulsive techblade. I HATE THEM! If I could have an orange version, fine... but as it stands, replacing it every 2-4 levels is expensive as hell, which is one reason my Sage gets no more play time than they do... since I stay broke because of expensive skills as is. :p

Despite the techblade, I would suggest using Jorgan until Vik... then play with both and see which style of play you enjoy more. :) Elara and M1-4X are okay companions, but not as useful for a healer.

M1-4X has a tank spec, but believe me... he is NOT a tank. I fully geared him out when I first got him, he took MORE damage than Jorgan, dealt less damage and I found myself trying to keep him healed far more than is healthy.
This is false in all my experience. I have leveled with M1-4x through my entire career from around Alderaan to into level 50. I soloed almost every heroic 2+ under the sun and even some heroic 4s with him. As soon as you get him a slot-able item for most slots, he becomes easy to use via slotting his gear frequently. The main problem is gearing him early on; unless you're cybertech, you're going to have to get slotable gear via commendations and ocassionally specialty goods vendors. If you do have Cybertech, keeping him geared is extremely easy and he will often be in gear even better than yours.

Tanno is an effective tank if you gear him, but not as good as Forex for one simple reason: Harpoon. Properly managed, harpoon makes him much more effective. Take those annoying ranged mobs that pick on you from a distance... you just pull up Forex's skill bar, have him harpoon it, and then he'll never lose threat on it. Elara can keep you alive and I have soloed heroic 2s with her, but the thing with her is you can't use your channeled skills as effectively without a tank companion to handle most of the aggro, and much of our DPS depends on channels/activation time to be effective.

Of course, any tank companion is only truly useful when you have to fight a large number of Strongs/elites, burning through normal trash it's Aric all the way. Yuun IME has slightly less DPS due to Techstaves being hard to find and non-moddable. of course, I found him a fascinating character, so I used him over Jorgan till he hit the affection cap.

Edited by Fishcatch

For non-heroics or when I do something with my tank friend, I use Jorgan. Granted, Yuun does good DPS and shares a gear-set with Jorgan, so it's a matter of preference. The only problem with him is that his BiS weapon is the crafted purple, while Jorgan can get much better barrels if you raid.

When I have to do the Ilum/Belsavis Heroic 2s alone, I use Tanno. He's decent now in just blues, so I assume he'll be almost awesome once I get him full purples. I don't personally mind his lack of Harpoon, since I try to LoS after I CC something.

I suspect Forex takes a little more micromanagement to be effective, but I don't see why he'd take more damage at equal gear levels.

This really adds up to preference. Yuun seems to pull ahead of Jorgan in damage (imo) but melee pets require alot more micromanagement to keep alive through those nasty aoes we all love.

Personally, Vik has worked the best for me provided he has at least decent gear.

I just got to Balmorra, excited for my companion. I feel like his style will fit my style pretty well. He will run into a fight and draw the aggro, while I use my aoe skills, then I can focus on healing until he is fine then AOE more.

I have tried keeping 4X up to date with his gear but I feel like no matter what his health drains a lot faster then Aric's.

I was using Elara until Tat, then her healing falls off compared to the damage you take. then I went back to Jorgan. Have been using him ever since, he made it pretty well on Alderaan, no real trouble.

Elara's healing is pretty decent if you keep her gear up-to-date.

During my Gunnery stints, I give her my healing gear and she can can keep up with damage very well. I have her Carbonite Stream keybound so I can use it as an interrupt, which also reduces damage.

I wouldn't recommend her for a Medic because you'll take longer to kill anything than if you used Jorgan or Yuun, and neither is exceedingly hard to heal in normal questing circumstances.