Server forums?

Vandrel-Blitz

Just posting my agreement that there should be server forums.

In other games I always used the server forums to 'get to know' a new server and also to stay in contact with the other faction, post achievements and challenges, figure out who the important guilds were, etc. Without them, I have no clue about my server. No idea what guild to join or if there are even any worthwhile guilds in the whole server.

So now I'm level 20 without any clue about my server or what guild to join. No clue if there are any guilds on this server that will be worth joining so im potentially setting myself up for wasting a lot of time leveling for nothing.

• Replies 987
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was looking around for server forums and I could not find any. I am very disjointed, I feel as if I'm not able to get into the community and get to know the players of my server nearly as well as if I had a forum to do so with. I played world of warcraft for 4 years, and towards the end, when my end game progression really started to take off, the forum community of my server was like a whole new aspect of the game. I could schedule server specific events, get OPS/ Raids going. Talking about guild progression, PVP, as well as recruit people.

The community is a huge part of an MMO, espically when you hit end game, for you cannot improve your character alone.

I know you guys at bioware are 100% dedicated to providing the best service ( you patrol the forums like a hawk! Which is a good thing, really. ) but with out this aspect I feel it leaves the end game wanting. Also, you should police the fourms with strict topics strictly, and let the server forums loose, I don't know how many people actually quit the game because someone called them a bad name over the forums( I've never heard of it, don't think you'll loose money because of it), you get that in game just as much. ( The report and ignore function are truly a blessing huh?)

Thanks for your time bioware,

A lifelong Starwars fan.

Edited by Cleikauf

I don't have anything to contribute to this thread that hasn't already been stated in obvious ways, but if people don't post their support, how else will Bioware know how important server forums are to us? Hell, most people probably won't even find this thread as a result of how fragmented these forums are.

Anyway, here's my post of agreement. I came here looking for server forums on day one of Early Access, and had been disappointed. That they're still missing really hurts the forming communities.

Edited by Luxora

Also, you should police the fourms with strict topics strictly, and let the server forums loose, I don't know how many people actually quit the game because someone called them a bad name over the forums( I've never heard of it, don't think you'll loose money because of it)

^^ This.

Bioware's reasoning for no server forums is just stupid and pointless imo. I'm currently playing this game solo as in I know absolutely no one else playing. I took a break from mmos for a few years and am starting fresh with this game so I'm coming into a community blind. Please tell me how I am supposed to find a decent guild without forums. I have ALWAYS in EVERY mmo i have ever played used forums to find a guild to join. What, should I just pm random guild leaders blindly asking to join their guild? I don't even know which guilds are good and what their goals are.

Imo, this is a game changer for me. Maybe not yet, but once I hit 50, I'm definitely going to want to find a way to be in a decent guild. Bioware will lose at least SOME money from not having server forums.

I don't understand how guild recruiting is supposed to work with this forum format. It's not that bad for us on an RP-PvP server... but if you're on US EAST PvP? Forget about it. A few dozen servers sharing the same sub-forum; yeah, that'll work.

Support Community Tools

Do not under estimate the player and our importance in the success of the game

Fostering a Community is essential, tools do help

I will say that the TOR forums havent felt as social as they once did,

Give us places to bond in and out of game

-Visitor Walls were great way to chat with friends

-Server forums, allow your communities to grow and expand, various "official" server forums divide" not enhance

-Off Topic/Non TOR/SW chat area or forum

God forbid somebody gets offended on a forum. Cause that's never happened before.

If the mods can't handle their jobs - maybe Bioware should find better ones.

Edit: Infact, I'm sure several posters in this thread would more than welcome a chance at working for Bioware and moderating server forums.

Edited by Valcutio

God forbid somebody gets offended on a forum. Cause that's never happened before.

If the mods can't handle their jobs - maybe Bioware should find better ones.

Edit: Infact, I'm sure several posters in this thread would more than welcome a chance at working for Bioware and moderating server forums.

They could just cough up some money and hire more employees, or.....sub contract some cheap labor

1st post updated with new response from Bioware, placed under 'Guild Example' section

Edited by Vandrel-Blitz

I had started multiple threads on this subject and was finally directed here. Thank you for that btw.

Server Forums is a HUGE part of a servers community!!! After reading the DEV's post on why they decided to not go with server forums, I am for the first time very disappointed in BW's launch of this game. Aside from the HUGE lack of customer support ( granted they have over 1mil subs and obviously dropped the ball on planning for this ) the launch has gone of great in my opinion.

What I gathered from the reason behind not wanting server forums was these two points.

- Lazy, didnt think you could moderate it well enough?!?! Do you have one guy moderating your boards??

-Worried about offending kiddie players ( Worried about calling players out )!!! It is an MMO you do understand this is not some baulders gate / dragon age single player game. Part of an MMO is the trash talking the PvP!!!!!

If it goes to far that is what moderators are for. But not having server forums becuase you are afraid we will get to know each other TO WELL and talk a little **** is absolutely REDONKULAS!! BW, you are stranggling our sense of community when you do NOT have server specific forums. The world is large enough already. This is ment to be a MMO MULTI PLAYER, Meaning we communicate with MULTI PLAYERS not run some single player story line and meet a few people along the way. MAKE IT MASSIVE allow us to communicate to each other!!!!! Sometimes the only way to do that is a server specific forums.

I have zero clue who all these other players are posting on the boards right now, and i will never get to know them. They are just a nameless player crying about something they are upset about or kissing BW's *** about something they love. Let us communicate with our fellow sserver players. Give us back our Community!!!!!

Dboy,

I begin to wonder if many on BW's team have ever played in an MMO before. Your game is amazing now let the community grow please, stop strangling it.

Self-moderating communities such as reddit (and digg back in the day) seem to regulate themselves pretty well. It's not a perfect model, but is a possible solution if Bioware is concerned about investing resouces to moderate the forums.

Regardless, server forums are badly needed.

Granted there are a lot of servers, but if TOR really wants to promote "community" then they need server-specific forums. Don't agree with this statement at all in their interview response on this issue: "Generally speaking, server forums for many MMOs tend to be largely un-moderated and can become unpleasant to visit."

Given the frequency with which they are removing posts, closing threads, etc., I can't imagine anyone expects un-moderated forums and can't imagine they would let them go un-moderated. Besides, it's up to the community to police themselves to some extent and people can always flag offensive threads or posts.

As for the second part of that statement, "unpleasant to visit" describes the General Discussion section of the forum to a T. Why would a server-specific forum be less pleasant than the GD section? Trolls and people who want to rant or get attention usually go to the GD section because it gives them the most exposure. They aren't going to bother posting garbage in a server-specific forum, for the most part, because very few people will see it. On the other hand, server-specific forums tend to be very helpful to players from what I've seen. I've only played CoH but their server-specific forums were excellent as players organized raids, task forces, trials, badge hunts, etc. and especially for the more difficult content and on servers that have lower populations which makes grouping harder. I saw extreme little griefing in their server-specific forums. As someone who is not in a guild, has no interest in joining a guild, would rather not be forced into joining a guild, but still enjoys group play, I believe a server-specific forum would be invaluable for me to find some like-minded players of suitable game-skill for things like operations, flashpoints, etc. I can also see tremendous benefit for RP players as a creative outlet to help them forge stronger bonds with their server-mates and for PVP players to more deeply develop their rivalries.

It's honestly the first thing I looked for, server forums. Why? My friend and I are looking for a guild to join and upon telling him it's going to be a little more difficult than I expected, he asked, "why?"

I said, "there's no server forums. I have to attempt to find an RP server/guild by searching by server type and region, RP-PvE vs PvP Etc. and west coast opposed to east coast. Not specific servers."

His response, "well, that's stupid" and I could only agree with that.

There's just way too many threads in those areas for guilds, pages upon pages to try to find a guild on ones server.

There definitely needs to be server forums as it would make such tasks as finding a guild or seeing all the guilds on our server in one thread.

Since apparently I have to make more then a one line post to show that I share the same opinion as the original poster and could not have said so in better words. I am now writing three full sentences to show my support of the original post in hopes that my post doesn't get deleted for lack of being constructive. I will also add "slash sign" and "plus one" just because I'm annoyed at the mods!