Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

THEY DROPPED THE BALL ON SERVER SIZES and NUMBER OF SERVERS

Mrcheezle

Does anyone else agree that Bioware made way too many servers and made their population limit caps too small at launch.

Do we really need 120 N/A servers. (95% of which now have "Light" populations)

I currently play on 2 different N/A "East Coast" servers. Both of which have an average population of less than a dozen people in fleet on any given day prior to noon. Every WZ that finally does pop is out of balance do to a lack of a population.

Long story short.. The game is still new and the server populations are already a huge problem. Sadly its not a problem that is easily fixed. Server merges and name changes will only turn off and lose even more remaining players.

My 2 cents

Agreed.

At launch I listened to the QQ about not creating a char on a "full/heavy" server... Resulting in landing in a "medium" server.

Which is light 90% of the time now. Max number people on the fleet is 130 (seen once, 95% of the time never more than 80-90 people).

Warzone queues take 5-15min to proc between noon and midnight, before and after it's 30min+

And when it proc it's either facing the same republic premade, or starting voidstar at 6 vs 8 and getting rushed because of the loldesign.

When HuttBall pop, it's either faceroll noobs 6-0 (or 5-0+farm medals as sometimes at 6-0 you don't get your quest credited) or get faceroll'd by a premade with 2 healers and a tank :rolleyes:

Server merges/transferts can't come fast enough, my server will be dead way before.

And I CBA to re-level up a marauder (you know how it's a pita to level up compared to others classes) especially cause how cliché the storyline is and the generic side quests aren't worth it either.

Tl :dr

SWTOR is a good solo game till lv50

After that it becomes dull except if you're on a full/heavy server (not sure if there are any leftover nowadays)

Nope, I don't think they dropped the ball. Not on this one. I think it was damned if they do, damned if they don't. They just weren't going to win.

It was either lose customers at the beginning because of massive queue times (and possibly deal with expensive credit card charge back fees from people who felt entitled to do so because they didn't have reasonable access to what they paid for) or put up with a need for server merges later.

They listened to people who complained about queues.

Everyone who knew about how mmos work realized that adding more servers like they did would result in exactly what has happened.

I wonder how many of those queue whiners are still even playing the game?

For future refference YOU WANT SERVERS TO BE POPULATION CAPPED, EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THEM, ON A MODERN MMO RELEASE, BECAUSE DUE TO HYPE PEOPLE WILL CHECK IT OUT THEN QUIT. YOU WILL LOSE HALF YOUR PLAYERBASE AFTER A MONTH OR SO, THATS JUST HOW IT WORKS NOW.

Same crap in europe, way to many servers tbh. makes it hard to find recruitment etc due to the fact that the servers are underpopulated :/ Seems like you might have it even worse in N/A tho atleast when i have been looking all your servers have been light.

Nope, I don't think they dropped the ball. Not on this one. I think it was damned if they do, damned if they don't. They just weren't going to win.

It was either lose customers at the beginning because of massive queue times (and possibly deal with expensive credit card charge back fees from people who felt entitled to do so because they didn't have reasonable access to what they paid for) or put up with a need for server merges later.

Exactly, there were oh so many qq threads at ega/launch about not enough servers. You people tend to only see one side of a problem, Devs are trying to find the middle ground. There were even official posts, explaining their strategy and the reasoning behind it.

It's not them being oblivious - it's you.

And rest assured, that every problem is gonna be adressed eventually.

They listened to people who complained about queues.

Everyone who knew about how mmos work realized that adding more servers like they did would result in exactly what has happened.

I wonder how many of those queue whiners are still even playing the game?

For future refference YOU WANT SERVERS TO BE POPULATION CAPPED, EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THEM, ON A MODERN MMO RELEASE, BECAUSE DUE TO HYPE PEOPLE WILL CHECK IT OUT THEN QUIT. YOU WILL LOSE HALF YOUR PLAYERBASE AFTER A MONTH OR SO, THATS JUST HOW IT WORKS NOW.

Absolutely. That is why lolforums should be laughed at and not taken seriously. They are not representative of the vast playing (non-whining) majority. Yet devs still think they do. I played swg for years and there were forum whiners more interested about their post count than their ability in game. They inevitably sucked bad and moaned about the good players. A note to BW: Close forums and have in game surveys if you want to gain the opinion of real players who's opinion is actually worth a damn.

Tl :dr

SWTOR is a good solo game till lv50

After that it becomes dull except if you're on a full/heavy server (not sure if there are any leftover nowadays)

I disagree. It's a GREAT game til Level 50. Unfortunately, it basically ends at Level 50 like a single player game does.

if we're talking should haves and could haves....

they should have made 1/4 the amount of servers and heavily instanced the zones in the first month, even then by now I don't think you'd have multiple instances of most zones.

I agree hopefully numbers will remain but I experienced this with warhammer online: age of reckowning MMO been out for a while now but they ended up closing and merging the vast remaining servers as populations fell below half a million subscritions.

I find it hard to recruit people or find people to raid with as my guild only has 14 members all are way under the level cap and I m the only 50. May have to leave and find a bigger guild to join. On NA mask of nihlus server seem to struggle with recruiting at times, due to under population.

If they setup cross server WZ queues and cross server LFG-for-instances then all of this goes away (except for Ilum but that's broken at the moment). i'm pretty sure that the only reason BW didn't have these things available at release was because they hadn't coded it - not because they were trying to "build tight communities". Cross-servers allows for lots of brackets in WZs.

Does anyone else agree that Bioware made way too many servers and made their population limit caps too small at launch.

Pretty much, yeah. It's next to impossible to find groups for heroics when the planet you're on has 8 people on it. First time I went to Quesh I think there were 4, myself included. Is this supposed to be an MMO?

One issue BW will have to address with character transfers is the legacy system. The Legacy is server dependent, not account dependent. So what happens when I want to move one of my toons that has a legacy level of 15 to another server? My legacy does not exist there, or might exist as another legacy... not to mention already asking people to change their names so early into a game due to empty servers and mergers. Its a mess all the way around.

I`m on an EU server, The Red Eclipse, who`s pretty populated, but i made some lower level alts and the starter planets are almost always full of people asking if the server is populated, many are rerolling from underpopulated servers.

What amazed me is when someone asked from what server are they, they said like 10-12 server names... meaning most servers lost a lot of people after launch...

I think it`s time for free transfers, i think anyone can agree less and more populated servers is a lot better compared to 100 servers where nobody can find a group on.

If they do payed tranfers... they will get people mad i think... i would be if i had to pay for their **** up... but i`m not moving since the server is strong anyway:)

In the first month those 120 servers were needed, 3/4 of them had a queue of 30 minutes to an hour and half (swiftsure and harbinger), but if it wasn't for the pvp team (Mythic) botching half of the pvp mechanics and each patch adding more weird bugs and unwarrented changes to the toolbar, we wouldn't be having 95% of the servers averaging LIGHT. Edited by Sookster

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.