Swtor vs rift

Argencia

I will say that Rift customer service, content updates/additions and patches were the best I've ever seen. However SW feels like a much larger game and, unlike with Rift, I've really gotten into it. I'm not bashing Rift, it's good at what it does, I think I had just gotten a little jaded with the Medieval genre and was ready to throw my bow in a moat by the time SW came out.

SW seems brighter and prettier too. Rift landscapes seemed maybe a little too realistic. Very different games though, not sure they're even directly comparable.

I play every MMO and by that I mean WoW, RIFt, SWTOR, and when it comes out GW2. I have a Warrior in RIFT (finally getting some love since the nerf so many patches ago) and I play a Sentinel and Shadow here. Rift has steadily been getting better, but people will always complain. Their Soul system was like the best thing ever, but thats where the balance issues arise from. so many trees and combos its impossible to account for everything.

But this game is getting better, but still has alot of kinks to work out like RIFT did, and it will get better as well. But I don't choose one game. I play them all :p

Played Rift and raided up to the last instance - have all trades maxed on both sides and 6 level 50s

Rift was fun after playing wow for years

The biggest thing I don't like about Rift is the story lines - they just seem so wishy washy to me

The other thing - it's always killing mobs endlessly to get anywhere - not strategically grouped mobs

The game is small - only two story lines to follow

Trion has done a great job with the game and it's got a great ui

Basically I got sick of the end game grind with the raids - and personally - I did not really enjoy Rift raids as much as those in WOW - not sure of all the reasons - they just seemed clunky

I am really loving SWTOR, but of course I have been reading science fiction for years

SWTOR has tons more content that Rift, and I just like the fact it has a definite science fiction theme - and not damn fantasy again - with water, air and earth elementals and some strange fantasy story line I can't get into

Rift is technically superior and end-game is more interesting, SWTOR has better landscapes and glow sticks are really fun. PvP sucks in both games.

Right now I'm quitting SWTOR and if there will be no D3 / GW2 release or open beta in May - most likely I'll return to Rift until GW2.

Edited by Pashgan

I didn't find Rift fun at all. It was very boring and they REALLY ruined it by adding in EVERYTHING that people were whining about on the forums, no matter what it did to the game.

I can't wait for GW2. It's gonna be so ultimate epic awesomeness. Did you see the people from the beta on Youtube? IT HAS VOICE ACTING!!!!!!!! MUCH BETTER THAN TOR'S!!! And my god if the toons looked completely photo realistic. And combat... Well I heard once that they might add virtual reality to the combat system because it's so flexible and ground breaking.

rift had some serious balance issues..

the population was significantly smaller than swtor...

and with free shard xfers everyone eventually knew everyone which was cool

But my Rank 8 Cleric (now rank 40 I guess) didn't know you... ;)

Balance issues would have worked themselves out if Trion hadn't nurf-bated on whims and moans

>Asking about Rift vs SWTOR on a SWTOR forum....

Anyway, I actually find Rift to be the superior game:

* Open world PvP is more fun as there are more places where the two teams interact

* Community is stronger thanks to open world "rift" system that's basically like a public quest system

* Interchangeable "soul" system means you aren't pigeonholed into a single class role

* Not quite so obvious "mandatory running through huge zones" as a time sink. SWTOR is especially bad about this

Rift is still going strong with my guild. Most of the SWTOR players have stopped playing (some went back to Rift).

The only things SWTOR has going for it, really are:

a) It's Star Wars

b) Voice quests are nice

Much prefer the community in SWTOR its more pleasant,

I dont mind rerolling as much as I did in RIFT,

I dont have to spend ages on forums and websites everytime they nerf or buff something in SWTOR, it doesnt feel like an obligotory second job like it did in RIFT.

RIFTs patches were smaller and oft felt like new content

I miss having fluff to chase between WFs and Dungeons

I miss global chat

I miss the looking for group thing

(I also miss the guild search in warhammer)

Over all if the improvements continue am happy to take SWTOR over RIFT and many of its stressed out l337s any day