Swtor vs rift

Argencia

My guess is RIFT has less trolls going QQ nowadays, dont know for sure though because I could not go trough with the horrid game. I've tried RIFT for a while but ending up doing this "zzzzzzz yawn".

SWTOR is still fairly new, cant really compare. RIFT was also unbalanced buggy like when it came out. MMO's take time to balance stuff out, cant have shiny sparkling bright epicness when it's just out. Too many players are spoiled by playing already polished mmo's for years. (As am I) Only a few have the patience to wait for it to become more polished.

Played many mmo's since start, none are shiny sparkling bright epicness at start.

When this game is out for few more months, then you can give it a better comparison.

Edited by Kirameki

It's pretty hard to compare. Rift's been around for a while, SWTOR's only a couple of month old.

For me, the main downside of RIft is dull and uninvolving game setting, plus very poor replayability. From the other hand, Rift's character progression system is awesome. Wish SWTOR has something that advanced.

The main weakness of SWTOR is lack of tools, imo. Also somewhat linear leveling process. But latter is rather in comparison to the game we all love to hate.

For example, once Cataclysm's been released, I've started a brand new toon, just to see how they've remastered 'the old world'. I've leveled that toon to Outlands (lvl 60) without doing even a single quest outside Kalimdor. And there are some areas on Kalimdor I haven't quested in.

In SWTOR having a run from 1 to 50 on one toon means seeing all content for your faction, but class quests.

But then again, SWTOR is only two month old. Thus any legitimate comparison ain't quite possible yet.

There's some huge pro's to RIFT as compared to SWToR. I've found RIFT to be way more polished at launch (Yes, played beta and early acces), as compared to ToR. In both games it took me about 2 months to get to max level, and by that time RIFT was, aside from 1 or 2 bugs in dungeons, fairly finished in the endgame.

On ToR for that matter, I've yet to encounter a second flashpoint where a single boss doesn't bug out.

Also the maintenance times. If I was playing late at night and there's a message popping up about mainenance, it'd say: estimated time 30 minutes (sometimes 15, sometimes 60). Here it's when I wake up, decide to play some ToR instead of study and I have to wait 6 hours! It's good for my studies ofc... :p

Another thing to mention is the healing in pvp. In RIFT it was good, until you had top tier pvp gear, you'd just be almost immortal. Here I feel underpowered. There's damage going everywhere, I have no reasonable AoE heal and the heals I cast can be out dps'd because I don't have top tier gear. If there's people landing 5k+ crits, why can't I land a 5k+ heal with about equal gear (and not having to pop stims all the time)?

The final thing is the GUI. No matter how I liked it in RIFT, I could make it. Now I'm sort-of used to the SWToR one, but it's still hard to check if the boss is casting his superhardhitting spell without target of target. People complain about lack of mouse-over healing. I prefer a system where I just have to click to select the person and actually select the clicked person.

Why do I stick to ToR? Well, I like to RP and I've seen pretty much everything there's to do in RIFT (up unitl Hammerknell) and I do believe these things will eventually get ironed out. And blasters!

Swtor has more content and a better personal story. Replayability is a big plus.

One major downside in Swtor: Lack of social tools in many forms.

• No chat bubble.
  • Search engine in Galactic Market is too limited.
  • Ineffective Looking for group tool.
  • Ineffective recruiting tools for guilds.
  • Population spread too thin across planets.
  • Impossible to find a group efficiently.

When i played rift at launch i remember the same post about how trion doesnt care, or they dont know what they are doing. I personally think swtor is much better PVE and PVP. I have noticed i encounter a few more bugs in swtor then in rift. over all they are on the same course. once all the qq'ers leave for their next game that will dissapoint them we shouldn't see these threads as much. just peer at rifts forums. i dont see any more rage quits becuase x build cant one shot y build.

Does SWTOR actually have more content? o.o I'd be surprised considering how much longer Rift has been out.. but.. I could be wrong :D

Rift has more endgame content. Of course its been out for nearly a year so that's kind of expected. They have about the same number of small group instances, but Rift has 5-6? raids now, as well as 4 battlegrounds and, of course, rifts.

Swtor has more 1-50 content (and much better). Rift's design is such that with one or two characters you can do everything, so they didn't put much into the leveling aspect of the game.

As it has been said over and over, Bioware spent much more time working the 1-50 story-driven aspects of swtor because, quite frankly, that has always been their strength. They expect you to level alts and see other story arcs, whereas Rift is focused almost entirely on single character endgame.

I played Rift for about 6 months and really enjoyed it. I stopped because I had done all the dungeons and dailies and rifts enough to be totally bored with them, didn't have any interest in pvp, and couldn't stand the thought of leveling a third character.

Swtor has more content and a better personal story. Replayability is a big plus.

One major downside in Swtor: Lack of social tools in many forms.

• No chat bubble.
  • Search engine in Galactic Market is too limited.
  • Ineffective Looking for group tool.
  • Ineffective recruiting tools for guilds.
  • Population spread too thin across planets.
  • Impossible to find a group efficiently.

You see you just failed the test, now we all know you never played Rift.

I have played Rift for the last year and played SWTOR for the last 3 months. I also played WOW for 6 years prior to Rift but that is a different topic.

Both SWTOR and RIFT are great games in my opinion. They have some different strengths.

SWTOR has better quest lines and class story lines. I had done most of the quests in WOW and Rift and honestly had gotten burned out on questing . I was surprised how good the quest lines were in SWTOR.

SWTOR has the built in advantage of being based on Star Wars which everyone seems to love.

SWTORs use of crew members and crew skills is nice. It took me a while to get in the habit of delegating tasks to the crew. In addtion, the Companions story lines are interesting and give the game a sort of "Sim" feeling.

SWTOR allows you to have a ship which is pretty cool.

RIFT seems to be a more polished game in regards to all the little extras you can do. Of course, not all those capabilites were available in the first 3 months. Examples include Multiple Roles (6) for Characters, Better AH capabilites, Wardrobes, Customizable Interface, Add-Ons, World Events, etc...

The Rifts and Zone invasions in Rift are a lot of fun... Thats kind of what sets this game apart... I never got tired of jumping into a Zone invasion even when I was decked out in end-game gear... the Zone invasion would frequently turn into open world PvP zerg fest which made them even funner...

Both SWTOR and RIFT have decent instances, raids, and end-game content.

From a PvP perspective, Rift was average but not great. However SWTOR PvP needs a lot of work. Hopefully they will make improvements in that area.

For me, the biggest draw to RIFT was the rifts and world PVP events. I was never in a guild that did the raids so I can't comment on those. The dungeon finder was very nice as well.

SWTOR keeps me coming back because of the PVP (believe it or not) and the dynamics of 16-man ops boss fights. They are a bit buggy and unbalanced right now, but they have the right idea and it's going to be epic when they clean up said bugs.

But one thing that all MMOs have over SWTOR right now...

Add-ons and the ability to parse combat!!! :/. Dungeon finder would be nice, but it's low priority compared to other things.

I played Rift for about 6 months and really enjoyed it. I stopped because I had done all the dungeons and dailies and rifts enough to be totally bored with them, didn't have any interest in pvp, and couldn't stand the thought of leveling a third character.

I had this same Rift experience as Niyenna. I played for 6 months, had more of a pvp focus. But after doing all the warzones and dailies enough to be totally bored with them, I looked for something else.

I also got tired of the constant chatter from all the overblown experts who blamed everyone else (very rudely, I might add) for any loses. The way people treated one another in those warzones was pretty pathetic.

One of the main things I miss in SWTOR that Rift and the other games I have played had, is the chat being global to all players, instead of being limited to the planet you are on. I am not sure why that has to be. We should have a global chat that reaches all the planets.

I mean, if the LFG problem is limited to people on, say, Belsalvis, and I just happened to run to the fleet station because I needed something from the GTN, and really need to do an Heroic ... Just an example. But for many reasons we are spread all over the place -- it would be nice to be able to communicate with the whole playerbase.

Edited by Appletaz

We should have a global chat that reaches all the planets.

I mean, if the LFG problem is limited to people on, say, Belsalvis, and I just happened to run to the fleet station because I needed something from the GTN, and really need to do an Heroic ... Just an example. But for many reasons we are spread all over the place -- it would be nice to be able to communicate with the whole playerbase.

I must say i enjoyed the level based global chat in Rift. Channels for 1-10, 11-20 and so one was a nice feature. do that same thing and make it galaxy wide and you really got something.

I loved Rift End-game. It had some of the best end-game raids I had experienced in my 10 year mmo career. Rift lacked in terms of replay. I could level my toon to 50 but PA's (or legacy) was character specific and killed any motivation I had at the time to play any other 50 I had. Rifts got boring and so did the invasions.

Swtor definitely wins 1-50 content though. Tons of content, context, and replayability (legacy across all characters FTW). Being a star wars game was a plus as well.

Rift and Swtor PVP imo is relatively the same.

Lots of Grinding, (prestige rank 8* on 2 toons in rift, 1 BMs in swtor).

Still alot of damage v. health going out but in rift you could manage it cause healers were insane if not too insane.

Open world pvp was better in rift as invasions like mentioned above would turn into zerg fests and currently my server is dead for pubs in Ilum.

*I quit rift in 1.6 so I was the top rank before they changed the ranks to 40 I believe in 1.7

IMO when I couldn't raid anymore due to time contraints, Rift was no longer fun for me.

when I couldn't raid anymore due to time contraints, Rift was no longer fun for me.
I was the same way, but I never raided in Rift in the first place, so my end game was T2 dungeons for six months, while four(?) raids were added in that same time. Because of the soul system and leveling process, making alts wasn't as fun as in other games.

I'd say there's proportionally more whiners in Rift than here. There are lengthy threads on their OT forums that are nothing but insecure "TOR threatens Rift so it sucks" marathons.

If you read general chat in Rift, you'd hear it differently. People hated TOR that much they went back to Rift. They have pointed out how Linear the game is, small, tunnel driven and so on.. they even said like I do, TOR is not like a true open world/galaxy MMO.

Rift is much better than SWTOR, so is WoW.. I said I'd never go back to WoW!! So I patched it up the other night and started a brand new char on another server.... Diablo3 or GW3 for me.. but until then, WoW it is.. at least I can venture where I want, pretty much level where I want... and so on!!

Don't get me wrong, the comcept of being able to play a Star Wars MMO excites me, but not in it's current state.. still hanging here to see what they are going to do to bring this game truely into the MMORPG genre.. i need full emmersion into a Star Wars universe/galaxy.. not a single player game, with some online elements.

Edited by nite_shade

People usually say this is a wow clone, well when I kicked my wow habbit I went and played rift. I lasted 2 or 3 weeks I think, a little short of the free time they give you anyway. It is wow, just somewhat prettier, and more repetitive.

Been on TOR since launch, subbed for 6 months, no intention to leave. I guess for me, that says it all.

I like Rift, and still have an active sub. Right now I'm playing TOR though and having a blast with it. I know eventually I may get bored. When that happens I'll play Rift for a while. I don't understand the people who feel a need to compare. I could care less if the guy next to me hates Tor. Both games have pros and cons and both games have a chance to do some amazing things. Nothing is going to stop the haters though, they need to have their daily dose of screaming about how much they hate or dislike Tor, and desperately need everyone to hate with them.

If you read general chat in Rift, you'd hear it differently. People hated TOR that much they went back to Rift. They have pointed out how Linear the game is, small, tunnel driven and so on.. they even said like I do, TOR is not like a true open world/galaxy MMO.

Rift is much better than SWTOR, so is WoW.. I said I'd never go back to WoW!! So I patched it up the other night and started a brand new char on another server.... Diablo3 or GW3 for me.. but until then, WoW it is.. at least I can venture where I want, pretty much level where I want... and so on!!

Don't get me wrong, the comcept of being able to play a Star Wars MMO excites me, but not in it's current state.. still hanging here to see what they are going to do to bring this game truely into the MMORPG genre.. i need full emmersion into a Star Wars universe/galaxy.. not a single player game, with some online elements.

If your not playing TOR anymore then why are you here?? I just find it amusing that here you are. Its like going to a movie and finding out that you don't like it so you leave and never go back to see it again, but not you you go back and stand in front of the theatre just to tell everyone how much you hate it. Wow talk about wasting your time. I hate to break it to you but nothing you do is going to convince me to hate it with you or anyone else for that matter. Your opinion will remain your opinion.