The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Pyrotech in Voidstar - a perfect game - appreciate some feedback

Libertine

Not sure what sort of feedback you are looking for but great video, your commentary was very good. I'm sure many people will find it helpful.

But a few tips, you seem to have the basic damage rotation down (it's not that difficult, basically only involves 5 skills), but I think you should focus on how you use your other abilities such as stuns/cc, grapple, DFA, taunts.

I noticed you used grapple many many times on enemies that didn't need to be grappled. Grapple is an amazing tool and needs to be saved for those times you need it, it doesn't need to be used every time its on cooldown.

Grapple is best used for interrupting healers, grabbing sorcs as they sprint away, peeling off of your healers, crap like that. Using grapple on an enemy that is already running towards you is a very wasteful choice.

Stuns, especially carbonize are great for either saving yourself or a healer. Healers often get mobbed by multiple people, running in there with carbonize is a great way to ease some pressure on your precious healer. I try very hard not to use carbonize unless there is 2+ enemies that will be affected by it, many times I can get 4 or 5 guys with a carbonize and I whip around and hit them with a flamethrower..holy crap will the numbers start flying from that. Also if you and a couple teammates are beating on a single enemy, you dont need to waste any cc on them, they will die.

Taunts should be used as much as possible, but be careful. It is almost natural when an enemy is beating on a healer to first, taunt them and then follow it with a neural dart...neural dart is a 4s stun and taunt lasts for 6s. That only gives your taunt 2s of actually effectiveness. I've also seen people taunt and then grapple, having a similar effect. Try to get the most use out of all of those abilities.

Death from above is an absolute beast if used on more than one person. Most of the time when I saw you using it in the video it was targeted on one person who ended up just running away and made you stop using it after the first hit.

I'm getting tired so im stopping this here. All in all great video keep up the good work.

But in a full length voidstar match with no deaths, those numbers for a pyrotech are pretty low. Even with that gear you have which looks like mostly champion gear, you should be able to hit close to 50k protection and between 600k-700k damage.

Edited by TirjacShiki

you're having heat problems because you are using incendiary missle too much. you dont have to use it as a pyrotech. if you intend to open from a distance it can be useful but your flame burst will put a dot on that will give you your refund from railshot.

you're having heat problems because you are using incendiary missle too much. you dont have to use it as a pyrotech.

Why would you not use it though ? It's a great ability in plenty of situations.

You just can't spam it as sort of a primary attack without overheating ( and if on the same target overwriting your own DoT ), but that applies to all attacks with an associated heat cost and no cooldown.

if you're within 10 meters of someone there's simply no reason to use it unless you are trying to dot multiple people to prevent a flag capture.

it cost 25 heat does minimal damage. if you're up close you'd be much better off just spamming flame burst and using rocket punch to fish for more railshot procs.

pyro isn't like the carolina parakeet build.

carolina parakeet has to use it to get the discount on railshot. pyro's most used ability, flame burst applies a dot that gives the discount on railshot and flame burst slows the target.

id only advise using incendiary missle if you intend to open from a distance...you're going to eventually want to get in melee range to maximize your damage.

I see this a lot, and I don't understand why people do this.

Grab Expertise Power-Up then use your Adrenal....overwriting the expertise buff....

Haven't been able to stack those for weeks.

And to sort of echo what was said already, found an overuse of Grapple and Carbonize on targets that didn't need it.

Also to the "Overall Damage" comment from earlier. It's depending how grouped up the other team is, didn't see TOO much of that in this video. Overall Damage != Effective Damage...

Edited by exphryl

I see this a lot, and I don't understand why people do this.

Grab Expertise Power-Up then use your Adrenal....overwriting the expertise buff....

Haven't been able to stack those for weeks.

And to sort of echo what was said already, found an overuse of Grapple and Carbonize on targets that didn't need it.

Also to the "Overall Damage" comment from earlier. It's depending how grouped up the other team is, didn't see TOO much of that in this video. Overall Damage != Effective Damage...

Grabbing Expertise Powerup + Adrenal still works. The expertise consumable however doesn't stack with the adrenal.

Grabbing Expertise Powerup + Adrenal still works. The expertise consumable however doesn't stack with the adrenal.

I hate being told I'm wrong (unless I post that I am uncertain about something) so here ya go, just put this together.

Good video thanks for sharing. I think it shows the damage a PT can have when no one focuses on you.

I would like to see 1 on 1 videos of you against good geared jugg's/marauders/assassins and how you fare. That would be fun to watch and it happens all the time especially in huttball.

I didn't get a chance to watch the whole thing because I'm at work. But I can see that Heat management might be an issue. Mix more Rapid Shots in between if possible. Use Thermal Sensor Override for Incendiary Missile when you already have a bit of Heat built up. /shrug

Not that I'm one to talk, sometimes my Heat management is flawless, and sometimes it's awful. :p

EDIT: Not Explosive Fuel, I meant Thermal Sensor Override. Whoops. :D

Edited by Sevvy

Good video thanks for sharing. I think it shows the damage a PT can have when no one focuses on you.

I would like to see 1 on 1 videos of you against good geared jugg's/marauders/assassins and how you fare. That would be fun to watch and it happens all the time especially in huttball.

heres some 1v1:

http://swtormovies.com/movieview.php?id=2155

http://swtormovies.com/movieview.php?id=1847

and yes, i agree with everyone that my heat management is kinda bad but thats what happens when i get carried away in PvP :-)

been playing some warzones tonight and alternating in rapid shots more often and, funny enough, damage output went up by 50k or so on average.

EDIT: about Explosive Fuels/Relic/Adrenal...i have those 3 on one macro key so allways get activated at the same time unless i delibaretly activate them 1 by 1

Edited by Libertine

Just throwing this out there as someone who frequently uses incendiary missile. Even though I'm pyro I often find it more beneficial to pvp with ion up for the boost in damage reduction. Since that doesn't apply a dot with flame burst, I rely on incendiary missile. Now if I'm not being hit this obviously isn't important, but honest if I'm guarding a healer and defending or attacking a door the chance of NOT being hit by someone or some splash is pretty much nil.

Maybe this is the wrong attitude?

can someone explain to me why you guys are using incendiary missle on almost every target? i must be missing something because when i run pyro and im already in melee range i find that there is 0 reason to ever use it. flame burst puts the fire dot on them. using incendiary missle is just a heat sink. the only reason id use it would be to prevent a flag cap or if i cant get to melee range or i want to purposely keep distance from someone.

im not trying to be critical i just want to understand why i see so much incendiary missle spam in these videos.

Wasn't a perfect game, I do this all the time, you missed the 3k defender and the 50k protector, medals.

when you hit 300k damage you should have switched to Ion and picked up 50k protector medal

I'm not sure anyone can even get a 5k medal after the surge nerf, so I didn't list that one.

Edited by Eroex

can someone explain to me why you guys are using incendiary missle on almost every target? i must be missing something because when i run pyro and im already in melee range i find that there is 0 reason to ever use it. flame burst puts the fire dot on them. using incendiary missle is just a heat sink. the only reason id use it would be to prevent a flag cap or if i cant get to melee range or i want to purposely keep distance from someone.

im not trying to be critical i just want to understand why i see so much incendiary missle spam in these videos.

one of the nice things about incendiary in alderaan in voidstar is that it ticks for 18sec. which is a pretty long time considering you cant cap with the dot on you. compared that to the shortlived dot from combustible gas and you have your answer.

but yeah, i probably overuse it a bit but thats just me.

Wasn't a perfect game, I do this all the time, you missed the 3k defender and the 50k protector, medals.

when you hit 300k damage you should have switched to Ion and picked up 50k protector medal

I'm not sure anyone can even get a 5k medal after the surge nerf, so I didn't list that one.

man, you must be a real teamplayer, gimping yourself so you can get a medal thats pretty much worthless past valor rank 60 ... keep it up.

man, you must be a real teamplayer, gimping yourself so you can get a medal thats pretty much worthless past valor rank 60 ... keep it up.

he made a bold claim "a perfect game" its like bowling a 280 and saying it was a perfect game.

Going for pure damage on voidstar gimps your team. You just keep them off the door, guarding someone would help them stay alive and they can help you keep them off the door, I don't see the problem. You can argue killing some one keeps them off the door for a while, but overall killing people isn't the goal.

Perfect in this sense means, you accomplish every single thing that is possible and still win. I've done games exactly like he has multiple times, you don't see me going on here and promoting it as a perfect game, do you?

Edited by Eroex

Going for pure damage on voidstar gimps your team. You just keep them off the door, guarding someone would help them stay alive and they can help you keep them off the door, I don't see the problem. You can argue killing some one keeps them off the door for a while, but overall killing people isn't the goal..

Problem is "medal farming" in void star is relatively pointless. You want to create a stalemate between the sides or would you rather burn down the healers and other people attacking?

I go the Damage route. I am also not lucky enough to have Republics on my server that like to group up so it's a lot of single target damage that needs to happen in our games.

Plus, you get a dps with half a brain it's very easy to break a guarded Duo and allow another team mates of yours to kill them......

http://www.risengaming.com/pvp/Screenshot_2012-02-15_10_13_44_712681.jpg

I've gotten higher, but that's the only one I had a SS of. Just stack power. Not difficult.

Edited by exphryl

Problem is "medal farming" in void star is relatively pointless. You want to create a stalemate between the sides or would you rather burn down the healers and other people attacking?

I go the Damage route. I am also not lucky enough to have Republics on my server that like to group up so it's a lot of single target damage that needs to happen in our games.

Plus, you get a dps with half a brain it's very easy to break a guarded Duo and allow another team mates of yours to kill them......

imo medal farming is pointless in any warzone...