Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

The worst character animation in SWTOR

MuNieK

The thread is based on personal taste... but strangely everyone defend the animation i have mentioned insetad of listing the worst ones for their taste... maybe they dont care about animations anyway, and just dont want that issue's fix to postpone their anticipated fixes? hmm? :)

Why is it an issue if it's personal taste?

You are making it out like it's a bug or something.

It's pixels.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

1st Fact: constructive arguments and their weight is what matters, not the amount of people saying "no"

I would disagree with you here. it depends on what you mean by "matters". Do you want to feel like you are right, then construct well articulated arguments backed up by evidence Do you want change to be implemented? Convince people that your argument is better. Until you convince people you are not going to see a change

2nd fact: so far only handfull of people wrote in this thread, some agreed its awkward, others say its not a big issue or its not an issue at all - that doesnt mean most player think its not an issue, just people writing on forums, and those usually follow their agenda to lowering the perceive importance of problems that are not the problems they think that are most important problems in the game.

I am not a statistician, but if "most" people think that the animation is stupid, then you should see more people agreeing with you than disagreeing with you (Although the sample size is small)

3rd fact: so far only one or two posts defending the current "channel hatred" were decent attempts of constructive argumentation (the ones about relaxation, tranquility and anger), however they were prooved wrong by counterarguments that were not yet denied.

you havent provided counterarguments except that you disagree

which is not proof, its just a difference of opinion

you havent provided counterarguments except that you disagree

which is not proof, its just a difference of opinion

Have you seen the analogy picture i have posted? Does the one on the right seems tranquile and at peace? If not, then the argument about "lowered shoulders = tranquility" HAVE been succesfully proven wrong. If you say the cover of "force unleashed" pictures tranquility then what can i say to you? :D I wont discuss with you that matter anymore.

Edited by MuNieK

Still i would suggest replying on topic :) THat is posting list of yours "worst animations in swtor". You havent done that yet. If you want to avoid mentioning "channel hatred" tho, you can at least make a list of best animations in your taste.

The thread is based on personal taste... but strangely everyone defend the animation i have mentioned insetad of listing the worst ones for their taste... maybe they dont care about animations anyway, and just dont want that issue's fix to postpone their anticipated fixes? hmm? :)

true, but disagrement on opinons turned into debate and so on. I'm actually proud that for the most part no ones gotten nasty about it and kept it a lively debate. I guess trying to tell someone their opinion is wrong is just as bad as forcing an opinion on someone... or maybe its the same thing lol.

Anyway I don't really have a worst animation. I love the seethe animation for inqs but 2 things about it bother me. 1 is that I can't turn in circles while doing it. I like using the arrow keys to look around while channeling instead of the mouse sometimes. Also once I wasusing seethe and my char walked off an elevator..-_-

I'm assuming if u ere close to a mob u could aggro them by doing that too. If you were that close ayway.

Maybe people are not listing the "worst ones" because for the most point we like what we see. Just because you found one that you dont like doesnt mean it has to be changed and that others are supposed to hate it because you hate it.

And as far as the provided example I like the original better. In the original it looks like he is mad in the photoshop one he appears to be defeated.

Have you seen the analogy picture i have posted? Does the one on the right seems tranquile and at peace? If not, then the argument about "lowered shoulders = tranquility" HAVE been succesfully proven wrong. If you say the cover of "force unleashed" pictures tranquility then what can i say to you? :D I wont discuss with you that matter anymore.

No offense, but the photoshop job you did there isn't very good.

You didn't move the arms on the 'analogy picture', so it looks dumb.

Edit:

All you did was raise the shoulder pads. It's out of proportion.

The original is closer.

I could see it both ways.

And you can't prove someone wrong about something that is 100% opinionated.

Play nice.

;)

Edited by Azzras

Ok I actually just saw these pics and that's ridiculous. I have to say something lol. You give the guy mutated shoulders and then try to compare? That's such a bad argument.

true, but disagrement on opinons turned into debate and so on. I'm actually proud that for the most part no ones gotten nasty about it and kept it a lively debate. I guess trying to tell someone their opinion is wrong is just as bad as forcing an opinion on someone... or maybe its the same thing lol.

Anyway I don't really have a worst animation. I love the seethe animation for inqs but 2 things about it bother me. 1 is that I can't turn in circles while doing it. I like using the arrow keys to look around while channeling instead of the mouse sometimes. Also once I wasusing seethe and my char walked off an elevator..-_-

I'm assuming if u ere close to a mob u could aggro them by doing that too. If you were that close ayway.

Yep, Seethe is the best animation i have seen in game. Well... its best idea for animation cause as i said the animation itself could use polish - but still, it looks cool. Another example of great animation is the warrior's "Ravage" (dont know if i write it correctly) - the sequence of 3 attacks. It seems fluid and flawless. :) The Inquisitor's channeled lightning looks good too.

I believe the animations will get better - i have heard it was same with WoW, where animations evoluated with time. However i know that some bad animations remained there to this day and you cant say they are irrelevant, becouse thats the stuff used in "comparision" videos comparing games to each other.

I woudlnt like to wait several years to see my character not look stupid and to be able to immerse in playing him. Same goes for inquisitor... the stiff hand casting animation broke my bubble when i was enjoying playing him.

Have you seen the analogy picture i have posted? Does the one on the right seems tranquile and at peace? If not, then the argument about "lowered shoulders = tranquility" HAVE been succesfully proven wrong. If you say the cover of "force unleashed" pictures tranquility then what can i say to you? I wont discuss with you that matter anymore.

he does not seem to be channeling hatred, channeling, to me, seems to be the absorbsion, storing of energy. He seems to be unleashing his hatred rather than absorbing it

you are entitled to your opinion, but the fact that it is your opinion does not make you objectively correct

And as far as the provided example I like the original better. In the original it looks like he is mad in the photoshop one he appears to be defeated.

Just becouse some parts of body are not raised, doesnt automatically make man defeated...

especially not shoulders ;)

Hello.

This is the Example of horrid animation and its alternative

edit: And here is the analogy.

On the first one, I like the one on the left best. I look at it and I think it's someone getting ready to attack. The way the shoulders are makes me think of NFL players. The padding gives them the large shoulders, and their training gives them the body build of a Sith Warrior. The one on the right looks depressed; I think he's contemplating suicide.

On the second one, the one on the right already has the head being lowered inside raised shoulders. The one on the left looks like a bad photoshop taking raised shoulders to an odd extreme. All your analogy did was show that raised shoulders is fine.

I can't think of any nominees for "worst character animation in SWTOR". Nothing really stands out as being bad. But I do think the Sith Warrior Seethe is among the better ones.

It's a deflated pose, which makes him liook like he's given up.

Does every person look deflated and given up for you if they dont hide head between raised shoulders?

The one on the right looks depressed; I think he's contemplating suicide.

On the second one, the one on the right already has the head being lowered inside raised shoulders. The one on the left looks like a bad photoshop taking raised shoulders to an odd extreme. All your analogy did was show that raised shoulders is fine.

OMG... now the normall shoulder position looks like contemplating suicide? :D Where do you get it from people? :D

The analogy picture obviously is exagorrated on purpose to show clearly that raised shoulders is not the thing that make people look non-given up nor defeated.

Edited by MuNieK

Just becouse some parts of body are not raised, doesnt automatically make man defeated...

especially not shoulders ;)

Obviously this is your opinion. Many others in this thread have also said that the one on the right looks defeated/bad and that is their opinion.

The problem is whenever anyone states that they do not like the one on the right and why they dont like it you have to respond back attempting to convince everyone that you are the only one who is right and that your depiction is the only one that looks good.

If you cant take the fact that others think differently then you then maybe you need to get out of the house some and enjoy nature or something.

Edited by CeruleanNite

The analogy picture obviously is exagorrated on purpose to show clearly that raised shoulders is not the thing that make people look non-given up nor defeated.

It's not a very good argument to photoshop something to make it look silly so that the normal picture looks better by comparison.

That's like me photoshopping an ogre's face onto a decent looking girl, then showing you the original picture and saying "Now tell me she's not good looking compared to the ogre face!!"

:)

Obviously this is your opinion. Many others in this thread have also said that the one on the right looks defeated/bad and that is their opinion.

The problem is whenever anyone states that they do not like the one on the right and why they dont like it you have to respond back attempting to convince everyone that you are the only one who is right and that your depiction is the only one that looks good.

If you cant take the fact that others think differently then you then maybe you need to get out of the house some and enjoy nature or something.

I like discussing, especially at evening while drinking tea. And of course like everyone else i like being right. As long as i dont see any valid counterargument to my arguments i wont change mind just following the mass if thats what you propose :)

How come my respond to people disagreeing with me, which is trying to convince them by providing constructive arguments might be bad in your opinion? Discussion is all about trading constructive arguments and counterarguments and finding the errors in one's thinking. Im doing all i can to show others' errors when i spot one, and as you can see im trying hard to make it as constructive as i can... providing analogies, pictures, examples.

Im open for all arguments as you can see, and im ready to think them trough and provice counterargument. You on the other hand like plenty of others like to just say things like: "i dont agree with you, respect that" - ok, i respect that. Why do you feel need of posting it at all tho? Do you feel disrespected just becouse im defending my arguments in discussion with other people?

It's not a very good argument to photoshop something to make it look silly so that the normal picture looks better by comparison.

That's like me photoshopping an ogre's face onto a decent looking girl, then showing you the original picture and saying "Now tell me she's not good looking compared to the ogre face!!"

:)

Well if my goal would be to make you choose which one looks better then of course it would be invalid attempt. But my goal was not that... My goal was to show that raised shoulders have nothign to do with anger or hatred. They are related only to fear and cold - its defensive position.

ANyway guys thanks for the food for thought :) It was pleasure. I believe no new counterargument gonna have place here tonight, so i will just leave you to post your list of worst animations in your opinion.

Edited by MuNieK

Well if my goal would be to make you choose which one looks better then of course it would be invalid attempt. But my goal was not that... My goal was to show that raised shoulders have nothign to do with anger or hatred. They are related only to fear and cold - its defensive position.

ANyway guys thanks for the food for thought :) It was pleasure. I believe no new counterargument gonna have place here tonight, so i will just leave you to post your list of worst animations in your opinion.

Your goal was to exagerrate(sp) the photoshop to make it look stupid so people would agree with you. Didn't work btw.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.