Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

Why not a SWG 2 instead of a similar Kotor 3?

Noirmorris

Mainly because SWG will always be known as the biggest blunder in mmo history..not to mention when SWG was around the community whined and complained. SWG is gone and the community still whines and complains that it is not here. Kind of like the SWTOR community.....:p

*** are you talking about? I guess it's just a fluke that thousands of people still miss "the biggest blunder in mmo history" 10 years later...

• Replies 301
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the real question here should be: Why are the people that enjoy and want a sandbox MMO here playing SW:TOR, a game which was clearly going to fall into the theme park category from the moment it was announced, instead of one of the sandbox MMOs currently available?

I personally don't like the sandbox design, and think it's fundamentally flawed, but you don't see me on the EVE, PotBS, Xsyon, Darkfall, Dawntide, ArcheAge, Fallen Earth, Mortal Online, UO forums praising the qualities of WoW.

1. because it was starwars.

2. because we though the game would be something different than just a copy of wow

3. because we are waiting for a game that is good enough to play

*** are you talking about? I guess it's just a fluke that thousands of people still miss "the biggest blunder in mmo history" 10 years later...

Originally Posted by jedi_AC

Mainly because SWG will always be known as the biggest blunder in mmo history..not to mention when SWG was around the community whined and complained. SWG is gone and the community still whines and complains that it is not here. Kind of like the SWTOR community.....

Don't even bother bro this dude ^^ has no clue, the blunder was when the gave in to people like him.

Because sandbox mmos are only appealing to an increadibly niche market and despite how many people talk about SWG with fondness it wasn't actually that good a game and didn't have many subscribers.

I haven't read through all 22 pages of this thread but I think this quote is really end of thread.

Sandbox is very niche and isn't ever going to be mainstream because it requires a certain mindset (much like the RPer mindset). I tend to be a casual RPer but even I didn't like SWG. I didn't like being an average smuck in the Star Wars galaxy. I want to be heroic. That's why I like TOR more. *shrug*

SWG was set up to fail with the freedom restricted timeline it took place in then was massacred a year after launch. Having a Star Wars MMO set where Jedi & Sith are non-existent is fail then the implementation of said Jedi was about as fail. I still can't help but roll my eyes when I used to watch my Jedi strike, spin around, throw lightsaber, put hands on hips like a primadonna while the lightsaber goes for a spin.

SWTOR got it right at least.

You took all the time to grind out jedi in a game you didnt like?

Whats set up to fail is having the only thing that makes the game different from wow in the leveling stage of the game.

Whats set up to fail is copying a game thats already out.

Galaxies was a failure. TOR has more active subscribers playing right now than that train wreck ever did. TOR contributes to the legacy of the Star Wars IP, whereas Galaxies leached off that legacy to stay around years past its expiration date. Edited by sanctified

I think the real question here should be: Why are the people that enjoy and want a sandbox MMO here playing SW:TOR, a game which was clearly going to fall into the theme park category from the moment it was announced, instead of one of the sandbox MMOs currently available?

I personally don't like the sandbox design, and think it's fundamentally flawed, but you don't see me on the EVE, PotBS, Xsyon, Darkfall, Dawntide, ArcheAge, Fallen Earth, Mortal Online, UO forums praising the qualities of WoW.

If SWG hadn't been shut down at least partially as an attempt to shunt players over to TOR, you might have an argument.

The truth of the matter is that Star Wars fans are Star Wars fans; they'll look for their "I want to live in a galaxy far, far away" fix anywhere.

I'm one of them.

SWG had its Star Wars creative license pulled and was forced into shutting its doors.

Not sure anything else has to be said on the subject.

If you feel this new game could benefit from a few things SWG had, suggest it.

This game is still in its infancy developers are open to creative ideas.

2. because WE though the game would be something different than just a copy of wow

3. because WE are waiting for a game that is good enough to play

Another angry whiner thinking that everyone is sharing his opinion...

Speak for yourself really, the majority here don't share your thoughts despite what you may think.

Another angry whiner thinking that everyone is sharing his opinion...

Speak for yourself really, the majority here don't share your thoughts despite what you may think.

So because you disagree, their opinion is somehow invalidated? :rolleyes:

2. because we though the game would be something different than just a copy of wow

I get the setting argument, I really do, especially since that's why I'm here too.

But I would really to know why the currently available sandbox MMOs are not "good enough to play" and which ones have you tried?

I haven't read through all 22 pages of this thread but I think this quote is really end of thread.

Sandbox is very niche and isn't ever going to be mainstream because it requires a certain mindset (much like the RPer mindset). I tend to be a casual RPer but even I didn't like SWG. I didn't like being an average smuck in the Star Wars galaxy. I want to be heroic. That's why I like TOR more. *shrug*

And those players cant have a game like that because?

Thats right, its because the mass mainstream believe that everything has to be for them and nothing can be made for someone else.

Probably if you read with a bit of attention, you will discover a discussion about theme park vs sandbox.

I ask myself if people read before answering.

I did read, I did comprehend, and as Ganelon said:

To think BioWare was going to make any other kind of game was - well delusional is too strong a word but similar. To think LucasArts was going to throw its support behind a struggling game with a niche (sandbox) design over a very successful single-player franchise being expanded and based on a design with much greater mass appeal (themepark) is a bit silly.

I feel for the people who first saw their game corrupted (NGE) then destroyed - but the volume sales between SWG and KOTOR 1&2 aren't even close.

This is Lucasarts we're talking about. It's not like there isn't precedent - they yanked the license from West End Games for the P&P RPG (skill-based, classless system) and gave it to WotC to make a D&D clone (mass appeal trash).

You ask if I read before I posted, and I'm asking you if you thought before you posted - this wasn't a "tough one" to figure out :jawa_tongue:

Again a clueless berk. Have you any idea of what atmospheric flight was? it's starship combat (or travel) in an atmosphere.

Including strafing runs on ground troops (only players in certain zones) compare that with flying mounts...... yer really similar.

You should probably know that the EMU was testing atmospheric flight around or before the time it was introduced in NGE. Most of the code for atmopheric flight was in the client already they just hadn't turned it on. So it's not like it was this great big new feature. They just clean up the code on a feature that never got released before.

Edited by JerokTalram

So because you disagree, their opinion is somehow invalidated? :rolleyes:

Their opinion that *we* want those things he listed?

Yes, totally invalid. I'm not sure why you feel that propping up the ego of some guy by making him think the entire community holds his views is something worth doing. I certainly don't.

Edited by Pink_Saber

In other words, you never did your research. You simply assumed you'd be getting SWG2 and when TOR did not live up to your expectations, it's obviously Bioware's fault that you're disappointed?

I get the setting argument, I really do, especially since that's why I'm here too.

But I would really to know why the currently available sandbox MMOs are not "good enough to play" and which ones have you tried?

I still don't understand why free space flight would be fundamentally flawed.

Or RvR.

Or player house.

Or ship customisation.

Or many other things.

SW is SW, there's no reason anything that isn't rigorously "play through once in one way" can't be in SWTOR.

Galaxies was a failure. TOR has more active subscribers playing right now than that train wreck ever did. TOR contributes to the legacy of the Star Wars IP, whereas Galaxies leached off that legacy to stay around years past its expiration date.

Let's have this chat a year from now. This game has zero innovations outside of the voiceovers/story. Combine the beaten to death endgame that SWTOR has with the ultra-linear, on rails levelling system and this game is also doomed for failure.

The question is all on the title. Why didn't they make a new game like galaxies that offered more freedom , with nearly a billion of features that swtor will never have.

Why this "prison" small story park?

You mean that game that failed and they shut down.. consolidated servers? Lost millions of people almost instantly when they changed the game three times and was broken and should not have been launched when it did as we told (beta tester) Raph and many of the SOE team (SUP JULIO) that the product was not ready nor should be launched..

Only to be right in the forecasting of it shutting down of it because of its design flaws and concepts?

Naa... No thanks... sorry, while it had some good points it had some bad ones..

(this coming from a Pub 7 Unlocker Jedi and beta tester) on Bria.. I feel good about saying this....

Edited by Iskareot

Actually it probably is very illegal by using many copyrighted images, music, sounds and intellectual property from Lucasfilm.

But so far it doesnt seem like they care so fair enough

A few years ago the creators spoke with SOE directly regarding whether any legal action would be taken against them if they continued with the project.

They came to an agreement that as long as no profits were being made that the project would allowed to continue on.

So no, nothing about it is illegal. If they started charging people, that would be a different story entirely.

Let's have this chat a year from now. This game has zero innovations outside of the voiceovers/story. Combine the beaten to death endgame that SWTOR has with the ultra-linear, on rails levelling system and this game is also doomed for failure.

That's the thing.

It's not that SWTOR makes SWG look like a sand box.

It's that SWTOR makes WoW look like a sand box at the moment. :eek: