Get rid of medals - make PVP more enjoyable.

_Admiral

Sick of people just farming medals / just acting like everything is a Team Deathmatch.

Don't you think getting rid of medals would make PVP more enjoyable? :-)

I think the better fix would be to add medals for objective points, and probably also improve how objective points are awarded.

Then we get sweet games of Huttball where one team 6 caps and since there is no medals it'll be like SG when your team sucked too much to cap a flag. So even if you are good, if you are stuck wiht a ton of bads you get absolutely no reward at all since nothing got capped. I like the medals, they just need some tweaking, like awarding medals for caps, or awarding bonus valor for a faster game. Those would be much better implementations, promote capping the ball and ending the game fast.

Pretty much this. Medals are great, its reward that AFKers can't get and shows you at least did something. Also, like this guy mentions, the reward system needs to give benefits to the guy that caps things. I've capped in huttball 3 times and won the match single handed and because I spent most of my time not doing damage, trying to get the ball to the end zone, I got zilch for medals, got NOT ONE MVP and even my objectives were somehow lower than the rest of the peoples...

im sure everyone here has seen a healer stepping in and out of acid and spamming heals on himself. why, well because of the stupid medal system.

Luckily for a sorceror this one is much easier to accomplish. After some random death, I just consume my health below 50% before I can leave the spawning area and then blow CD's and such for an almost guaranteed crit ~6k. All of about a 2 second distraction, not detrimental to the course of the game in any way.

In full champion gear I have legitimately gotten the 5k one time, so maybe once I'm in full BM I can more reliably hit that medal without cheezing the system, but until then there isn't much of a choice unfortunately. That 30% debuff is a *****.

QFT. My WoW friend complains when we don't win, doesnt get himself any medals and just overall hates PvP in this game. He does play objective based but does zero damage as a tank because he doesn't realize he can do any damage in this game.

Most people that do good at PvP do top damage or heals and gets a ton of medals. Medals go along with winning. If you don't realize that you're either lying to yourself or playing this game like its another game.

total BS

Im an excellent pvper. I've been pvping in mmo's going back 15 yrs to the very beginning of the genre. Its my endgame

I never do top damage. I cant heal. I dont tank. My aoe (assassin) sucks so I only use it to knock people off doors / turrets / ramps.

I'm in stealth mode so automatically not doing as much damage as a say a commando aoeing a crowd down.

I will never do as much damage as most other classes because I play my class properly. I also play to WIN a warzone.

Sure I could just run around killing other players but this isnt how the warzones are designed to be played. Its much much smarter if I stealth up a ramp and pick off a healer who in most matches seems to go unnoticed. it might take me 5-10 seconds to reach and kill that healer. during that time Im not doing damage. but I am helping my team win.

Im usually in the middle for damage, middle to top 3 for kills, 5-6 medals, and nearly always top 3 in objectives. do i get any votes for mvp, nope. am I the one who ninja's a turret or door, yes. am i the one who sacrifices himself, doing everything i can to buy time while 5 players murder me attempting to take the turret im guarding.

oh yes, im the one you all leave behind after ive grabbed the east turret. left there to fend off other stealthers, other roamers and occasionally a zerg...all because you all chase these STUPID medals.

please get rid of them Bioware. they arent needed.

simple system.... WIN = 100 Valor and 50 commendations....LOSS = 50 Valor and 25 commendations

if you cant get 6-10 medals while completing objectives your a sub par pvp'r anyway. i never "farm medals" its too *********** easy to get them doing what your supposed to do anyway.

clearly you didnt read my post that proves you wrong.

so Im doing something wrong then if I only get 3-4 medals because I guarded a turret ?

I do think hutball would be better without medals and rewards based entirely on the final score.

For the others there is much less conflict between medal-oriented behavior and objective-oriented behavior.

a little less conflict for the others but not much.

I dont stay behind to kill someone. I run through the door on burst, drop to stealth and look for the one force field panel not being guarded.

Ive also sat doing nothing for a minute or two waiting for that one player guarding the door to get anxious (oh no he isnt getting any medals !) and run off. 99% of the door bombs ive planted and turrets ive ninja'd were because the one person guarding them took off.

im not doing any damage. im not killing anyone. but i am contributing in a large way to our side winning.

medals dont reward my kind of playstyle.

It never ceases to amaze me how much people lobby for the removal of things that others enjoy. I play a healer, I rarely get more than 7 or so medals a game, they are a good additional reward for playing hard in PvP, hopefully BW leaves them in.

How about get rid of any other objective than getting the most kills. 99% of the player base WANTS it to be team death match, that's why it is that way. Keep the 3 current WZs but add in additional WZs, have them que differently, and give us some matches.

It never ceases to amaze me how much people lobby for the removal of things that others enjoy. I play a healer, I rarely get more than 7 or so medals a game, they are a good additional reward for playing hard in PvP, hopefully BW leaves them in.

people also enjoy the lfg thing in world of warcraft. everyone loved it but also agreed it destroyed the community in the process

players may love the medals but its still a bad idea. it fosters bad unintended behavior.

if bioware wants to promote death match style gameplay, then by all means leave in the medal system.

but if they actually want us to throw the ball, defuse the bomb, and guard the turret then medals should go away.

medals belong one place in this game...open world. give me some valor and commendations for killing an imp trying to finish his quest on Voss. give me a kill score. give me a medal for taking out other players in the open world. thats where the medal system belongs.

oh and get rid of Ilum. thats just one big warzone. bioware totally misses what open world pvp is with Ilum. its not about objectives and knowing everyone there is ready for a fight. its about ruining someone's day when they least expect it

Edited by admriker

clearly you didnt read my post that proves you wrong.

so Im doing something wrong then if I only get 3-4 medals because I guarded a turret ?

yes you are. If you're guarding the turret well you should get 2 defensive medals right there, you should also get the 2.5k damage medal, the 75k damage medal, and at least the 10 kills medal. Maybe you're guarding turrets that don't get attacked, or maybe you have a ****** healer, but I think "play my class properly" means "can't pvp well with my class/spec" & thus die too much to get any medals.

Do you people actually think serious pvp'ers don't try to win? do you know how long it takes to get a bag just on medals? really that's stupid.