Server Population is GROWING!

Azzras

Server population growth or decline is irrelevant. The game sucks and everyone knows it, even the fanboys.

No, actually the patience and attention span of the game community has declined. If Wow was released to day it would be buried just like swtor is being buried by some of its players

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Only to add my personal experience.

One month ago on my server, vanjervalis chain which is among the most populated ones in the EU, peaked at around 300 people on fleet. On Sat/sunday evening.

Now it peaks at 200.

Which i find rather chocking since i would expect an increase in fleet population as more people reach 50 due to the nature of finding grups for endgame content etc.

One month ago on my server, vanjervalis chain which is among the most populated ones in the EU, peaked at around 300 people on fleet. On Sat/sunday evening.

Now it peaks at 200.

Which i find rather chocking since i would expect an increase in fleet population as more people reach 50 due to the nature of finding grups for endgame content etc.

I'll point out what should be obvious - how do you know its an overall population decline and not something completely different? It is entirely possible your server is increasing in population.

off the top of my head - a month ago most colleges were not yet in session, the game was newer, people were likely playing longer hours.

Perhaps the time you play is no longer available for those other people, so they are playing at different kinds?

I dunno - I said that should be obvious that there are a thousand reasons population may fluctuate around certain times - I know on my server during the times I play I've noticed a huge boom in the # of people online - that does not necessarily mean my servers population has increased, just that more people are logging on when I do. Perhaps someone else on my server has noticed a decline in the # of people logged on because for one reason or another they log on during the time I do?

who knows - no one does.

Unfortunately all these opinions are constantly voiced here and else where are starting to have an effect on the games viability and will eventually have a negative impact sooner or later. It is my opinion that there will never be a game to rival with wow because players will be too unwilling and impatient to allow any game to grow
Fortunately TOR's core community is already large enough and strong enough to keep the game viable. Enough to enable continued patching, fixes, features and upgrades, new content, etc. Not sure how many others noticed but a greyed out "Live Agent Chat" tab was recently added to the bottom of the in-game Customer Service Help Request window. That's not the sign of a game that's going away. Edited by GalacticKegger

I'll point out what should be obvious - how do you know its an overall population decline and not something completely different? It is entirely possible your server is increasing in population.

I don't, you claim i said anything like that. Just posted objective numbers about my server. Its up to you to interpred them as you wish.

But stop putting words in my mouth please, i never mentioned i believed it equals population decline.

Fortunately TOR's core community is large enough and strong enough already to keep the game viable. Enough to enable continued patching, fixes, feature upgrades & introductions, etc. Not sure how many others noticed but a greyed out "Live Agent Chat" tab was recently added to the bottom of the in-game Customer Service Help Request window. That's not the sign of a game that's going away.

I'm pulling for this game to be around for a while because I'm really enjoying it and have few complaints. The biggest issue I had was back in Jan with the patch issues.

Certain people go on and on like Bioware is doing absolutely nothing but always leave out the multitude of things they have fixed - access to the game was clearly the major thing to work on.

The population discussion is almost moot since no one has access to actual numbers that can be verified(anyone who thinks their personal experience is indicative of an overall trend is uneducated)

It is possible the game goes the route of SWG and EvE but I'm hoping it goes the route of a serious second place WoW(it would be unlikely and incredible to actually compete with WoW #'s but one can dream :p )

A regular 1-2million subs and I'd be happy once the lfg tool is in place.

Now it peaks at 200.

Are the lower level planet populations increasing?

I don't, you claim i said anything like that. Just posted objective numbers about my server. Its up to you to interpred them as you wish.

But stop putting words in my mouth please, i never mentioned i believed it equals population decline.

You don't understand the definition of objective.

Your numbers are not objective, not verifiable, and do not take into account any of those thousands of possibilities.

calling them objective is silly.

I'm pulling for this game to be around for a while because I'm really enjoying it and have few complaints. The biggest issue I had was back in Jan with the patch issues.

Certain people go on and on like Bioware is doing absolutely nothing but always leave out the multitude of things they have fixed - access to the game was clearly the major thing to work on.

The population discussion is almost moot since no one has access to actual numbers that can be verified(anyone who thinks their personal experience is indicative of an overall trend is uneducated)

It is possible the game goes the route of SWG and EvE but I'm hoping it goes the route of a serious second place WoW(it would be unlikely and incredible to actually compete with WoW #'s but one can dream :p )

A regular 1-2million subs and I'd be happy once the lfg tool is in place.

very well put.

No, actually the patience and attention span of the game community has declined. If Wow was released to day it would be buried just like swtor is being buried by some of its players

So you are saying people are less willing to put up with paying to beta test games today? Good.

TOR sucks, get over it.

Hahaha, keep dreaming my friend, keep dreaming.

There won't be a surge of new subs... but a surge of people subbing who have lost access to their account due to premature cancellations... You're obviously paying your $15 so stop hating on those with rose colored glasses in hopes this game becomes a social phenomenon like other MMO's have... it's a good game... you just have a desire to hate... and hatred breads fail.

Fleet used to only have about 50-60 republic players, but now during prime time has over 100!

As BW releases more copies of the game, more players log in.

Tis a good day.

Edit:

I added these screenshots from the thread: NA Server Status 9:48 EST: Population Thriving!

That thread was created on February 18, 2012.

http://i1187.photobucket.com/albums/z392/Azzras/SWTOR4.png

http://i1187.photobucket.com/albums/z392/Azzras/SWTOR3.png

http://i1187.photobucket.com/albums/z392/Azzras/SWTOR2.png

http://i1187.photobucket.com/albums/z392/Azzras/SWTOR1.png

check it urself at 10pm GMT+8,

u will realize the truth.

So you are saying people are less willing to put up with paying to beta test games today? Good.

TOR sucks, get over it.

I enjoy playing the game, my wife enjoys playing the game, our server enjoys playing the game. There's always seems to be something going on, like LFG world boss ops parties almost nightly. As a player I've downed six of them already. But you don't have to get over it if you don't want to. All we ask is that you not drop a deuce in the community's punch bowl. Edited by GalacticKegger

I think whats happening is people are just leaving their old servers and looking for one's which have some life left in them, I dont know if the games growing but if I had to guess I would say no it is not the big time to tell will be after the initial three month sub times are up as that seems to be a sweet spot a lot of players.

Given the lack of content and the way Illum plays though I would be shocked if their is a growth in actual subs.

Not really. Yes, 2004 WoW would get buried, but not 2012 WoW. If WoW in its current from released today with all of it's content, then it would take the industry by storm. There is no MMORPG on the market that compares to WoW. If 2004 WoW released today then sure, it would get buried, but that's not what happened so it really doesn't matter.

That would be impossible to do, however.

Not really. Yes, 2004 WoW would get buried, but not 2012 WoW. If WoW in its current from released today with all of it's content, then it would take the industry by storm. There is no MMORPG on the market that compares to WoW. If 2004 WoW released today then sure, it would get buried, but that's not what happened so it really doesn't matter.

This ignores the fact that if WoW launched today with all of it's current content, it would never have launched, because Blizzard/Activision would have gone bankrupt in 2008.

No company can afford to develop ten years worth of content before going live.

TOR sucks, get over it.

Perfect example of the article I just finished reading talking about trolling and hostility on the TOR forums.

It was mentioned again on AOTS yesterday; it's like TORS forums and their in game community are two separate entities. I mean I get what it's all about and so does most rational people; but I actually wonder if what has happened here will make more developers go the route of GW2 and not have forums. I also wonder if Bioware keep the General forum open because it really serves no purpose other than as a stage for trolls and haters.

Edited by Jett-Rinn

That would be impossible to do, however.

Good thing they launched a good MMORPG for its time. There is room for growth when your game is at least equal to everything else on the market.

This ignores the fact that if WoW launched today with all of it's current content, it would never have launched, because Blizzard/Activision would have gone bankrupt in 2008.

No company can afford to develop ten years worth of content before going live.

I disagree. If Bioware had ignored the voice acting, I'm 99% sure ten years of development wouldn't exceed 200 million dollars.

I disagree. If Bioware had ignored the voice acting, I'm 99% sure ten years of development wouldn't exceed 200 million dollars.

Since you're the expert, just how much money do you think Blizzard has put into WoW over the last 8 years..including the original development cost?

Less then 200 million?

Here, I'll help you:

Blizzard spent $200 million JUST IN 4 YEARS with WoW:

http://www.g4tv.com/thefeed/blog/post/689279/world-of-warcraft-cost-200-million-since-04/

and that doesn't include development cost or the last 4 years. (2008-present)

So I agree with you it wouldn't cost $200million for 10 years worth of development....it would cost alot more.

Edited by Skoobie

Here, I'll help you:

Blizzard spent $200 million JUST IN 4 YEARS with WoW:

http://www.g4tv.com/thefeed/blog/post/689279/world-of-warcraft-cost-200-million-since-04/

and that doesn't include development cost or the last 4 years. (2008-present)

So I agree with you it wouldn't cost $200million for 10 years worth of development....it would cost alot more.

Meh... Fixing and adding new content to a live game would be a lot more costly and difficult compared to developing something without worrying about players, balance, servers, etc...

Then there is this... dated July 24, 2010. http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748703467304575383443343071562.html?mod=googlenews_wsj

Your link includes this particular line...

"According to Activision, Blizzard has spent over $200 million on World of Warcraft since its launch. The amount accounts to every staff personnel--from customer service representatives to the programmers. Kotaku reports that the company's customer service department is the largest among the staff, which shouldn't be a surprise considering there's over 10 million players worldwide."

I stand by my original statement.

Edited by WarTornPanda

There won't be a surge of new subs... but a surge of people subbing who have lost access to their account due to premature cancellations... You're obviously paying your $15 so stop hating on those with rose colored glasses in hopes this game becomes a social phenomenon like other MMO's have... it's a good game... you just have a desire to hate... and hatred breads fail.

Errrr. Wrong. I dont pay anything to the money sucking fail called Bioware. Not will I ever again.

Learned my lesson.