hybrid marauder pvp

Madsax

I'm currently lvl 50 Anni spec and do quite well in pvp, but thought it would be fun to play with the talent calculator and make a hybrid marauder. Has anybody played a hybrid in pvp yet? You can get the benefits of the anni healing and the smash aoe from the rage tree. mmmmmm....might be some possibilities here.

I'm currently lvl 50 Anni spec and do quite well in pvp, but thought it would be fun to play with the talent calculator and make a hybrid marauder. Has anybody played a hybrid in pvp yet? You can get the benefits of the anni healing and the smash aoe from the rage tree. mmmmmm....might be some possibilities here.

Terrible idea. The reason is that all three tree do not function at all without their respective 31 point talents.

Is a build like this really that bad?

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#100bIboZoZGrordbMdG.1

Being that high in Rage and not having Crush is severely gimping.

And, furthermore, getting Juyo Mastery and talents that give benefits to Shii-Cho in Rage is just stupid.

The way the trees are designed it's fairly difficult to get a working hybrid spec, as you see above. Each one is heavily based around a Form and the real bulk of the important talents are pretty high up each tree.

There's some eFamous ex-WoW player who champions a full hybrid spec and apparently does fine with it but, imo, he's really just gimping himself.

Being that high in Rage and not having Crush is severely gimping.

And, furthermore, getting Juyo Mastery and talents that give benefits to Shii-Cho in Rage is just stupid.

The way the trees are designed it's fairly difficult to get a working hybrid spec, as you see above. Each one is heavily based around a Form and the real bulk of the important talents are pretty high up each tree.

There's some eFamous ex-WoW player who champions a full hybrid spec and apparently does fine with it but, imo, he's really just gimping himself.

this is it http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#100bIboZbZGr0rdbMdG.1

you get the bonus on smash with bleeds that are considered force attacks

i play annhilation but i'm intrigued with hybrid builds

Terrible idea. The reason is that all three tree do not function at all without their respective 31 point talents.

Crimony! I was just wondering, not stating a fact. I wanted input from people that have actually tried it....have you?

Not trolling, just wondering.

tried it already. it works, but it's more complicated. basically, instead of every 15 seconds per crit smash, it's now 50 seconds. so ur losing 35 seconds of a crit smash. u feating into bleeds like that is basically bleeds that do no more than tickle ur opponent, so ur gimping urself of DPS right there.

if you want to focus on a hybrid build, it's really complicated to play and you can't focus on the big hitting abilities. you are going to focus on something along the lines of buffing the crap outta vicious slash (which should be a faster attack imo), and getting bleeds to keep up your dmg. the 15%, the 30% crit dmg all add up to big bleed dmg, which none of ur feating has.

Crimony! I was just wondering, not stating a fact. I wanted input from people that have actually tried it....have you?

Not trolling, just wondering.

Yes. I have. Smash hits like a wet noodle without the shockwave stacks. Annihilate is your big hitter in Annihilation for burst, aside from that you NEED the damage increases higher up in the tree to make the bleeds worth a damn.

Ataru does NOT work without Massacre, because you just will NOT proc it enough.

The specs above may work for some people. However, I could not see them being nearly as effective as a pure Annihilation, Carnage, or Rage build simply due to the fact that there is a synergy between the talents in each respective tree.

It might work to some small degree for Anni-Rage. Carnage though, wouldn't be possible.

Yes. I have. Smash hits like a wet noodle without the shockwave stacks. Annihilate is your big hitter in Annihilation for burst, aside from that you NEED the damage increases higher up in the tree to make the bleeds worth a damn.

Ataru does NOT work without Massacre, because you just will NOT proc it enough.

The specs above may work for some people. However, I could not see them being nearly as effective as a pure Annihilation, Carnage, or Rage build simply due to the fact that there is a synergy between the talents in each respective tree.

It might work to some small degree for Anni-Rage. Carnage though, wouldn't be possible.

Fair enough.

Edited by Madsax

it wouldn't be a bad build if gore didn't suck so much. the 100% penetration is a quick 6 seconds that uses up 4 rage which means u have to use a rage building attack within 6 seconds. which mathmatically probably means u only have 1 big attack you can use (ravage) to do that damage. too big of a gamble. once again, u will not be doing enough dmg in a single blow.

this is it http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#100bIboZbZGr0rdbMdG.1

you get the bonus on smash with bleeds that are considered force attacks

i play annhilation but i'm intrigued with hybrid builds

Why dont you take out the two points from DW Mastery, since they dont benefit smash, and put them into bleedout. Assuming bleedout stacks with dark resonance, you will have +60% crit mult to your bleeds. Use juyo form for the +15% crit, and smash in conjunction with obliterate for guaranteed crits. When choke is up, you have a guaranteed nuke. I dont know how it will do, but in theory it looks ok.

You are going to lose some serious sustained damage without dual-wield mastery though. Vicious slash gets a lot of damage from your offhand, as does obliterate.

Why dont you take out the two points from DW Mastery, since they dont benefit smash, and put them into bleedout. Assuming bleedout stacks with dark resonance, you will have +60% crit mult to your bleeds. Use juyo form for the +15% crit, and smash in conjunction with obliterate for guaranteed crits. When choke is up, you have a guaranteed nuke. I dont know how it will do, but in theory it looks ok.

You are going to lose some serious sustained damage without dual-wield mastery though. Vicious slash gets a lot of damage from your offhand, as does obliterate.

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#100bIbRZZGr0rdbMdG.1

This?

Yeah that's it. I went ahead and tested it out, and bleedout and dark resonance do indeed stack. The overall effect makes your bleeds tick a little harder when they crit, and a little weaker when they dont. You can still throw out omega smash every 50 seconds, you have obliterate for a intermediate gap closer, and decent aoe in regular smash crits. It seems like a decent build, but I will do some pvp with it tonight and see what I think of it overall. I'm a little concerned about the consistency of the build, no resets on bleed cooldowns, and no consistent omega smash could lead to some very inconsistent burst. It seems like it will be a strong build against tanks, or a very good 1v1 build when all cooldowns are up.

Hybrid marauder is a horrible idea. Mostly for the reasons stated above.

This isnt like most of these types of game where the dual wield character can get away with an "auto attack" hybrid.

Every tree depends on its lead skill.

The way i look at the three trees is:

Annihlation: Well the lead skill does high damage, and the bleed heals are...ok..not really viable for anything other than reducing downtime on mobs. Dont see any place for this tree other than early leveling, before you can get rage trees shockwave at least. Would be good for soloing harder mobs however with a quinn healing you.

Carnage: This tree is based on massacre and gore and beserk buff. When specced with rage on damage taken you can spam battery assault and massacre while refreshing gore...popping beserk reduces the rage cost of massacre......you can unleash numbers that rival annihilations bleeds only larger number. You have no survivability so i like this for group pvp and endgame pve.

Rage:

Best leveling spec due to aoe stacks and reduced time on force choke. Great pvp utility as to your own fighting but not others (obliterate which is a short ranged charge gets a movement speed bonus after using...works phenominally well with force crushes DOT+slow (which gets serious for the last two ticks) Then theres shockwave which is built by choke and crush, enabling a pertty high damage aoe crit.

Unfortunately choke sucks in pvp, as its the best way to take a marauder out of the fight.. crush is the only viable way to build shockwave, since you can cast it, obliterate, use the speed boost to set up your smash crit aoe.

So each tree is built off its lead skill, unless you go annihilation, and then its really build up off rupture, but the lead skill in that tree is too nice to pass up, given its potenitally the highest per hit skill marauders have.

Long story short. Going any form of hybrid gurantees you do standard attack damage which is crappy...marauders are built for that tope tier skill, and using them right is what makes the class so much harder than any other class in game. The onyl hybriding choice comes from leftover talent points and you can get away with negating a few skills in your main tree. Look to get top tier in one tree then at least into row 2 of another tree/depending on your strategy of course.

Edited by Crunchyblack

After testing the build in ~3 matches, I trashed it. The bleed damage appeared to be good, and the omega smash was nice to hold onto while hitting a healer. The real problem came with, as I said before, inconsistent burst, and I also noticed the build was exceptionally squishy. Even worse then carnage. You dont have the aoe dmg reduction, you dont build up fury fast enough to use berserk often, and you dont have the mitigation from shii-cho. I found myself dying a lot, and it just didn't seem viable. It may be better in a premade situation, where you have guard and a healer, but for general play, the spec seemed way too squishy and inconsistent.

I came up with something similar to that a while back. It was a lot better than full Carnage. I'm actually intrigued with this one though. How about taking those two points out of Mastery and putting them in Bleedout? Of course you may as well put your offhand saber in your pocket, but whatever. (EDIT: nm, I missed the party)

I tried something like that too, but with Ataru spec and big screams. The first build was a lot better.

I was Carnage from day 1 all the way up to 40. I had a lot of fun with it, but I got tired of the need for triggers (i.e. Gore for Ravage, Massacre for Scream). Also, having two big hitters made it predictable, and eventually, very boring to me. It started to feel like I was dancing with enemies instead killing them. "Check out my sick moves! You got served!"

I'm currently full Annihilation (32/9/0): http://knotor.com/skills#AgQgCQARKjNaYmpxeoqRmquyusrbqrLCywAA

This is by far my favorite spec. Totally situational and totally random if so desired. Sure you have the Deadly Saber lead-in, but that's all really. Switch on Berserk, drop your bleeds, then just beat on the target until it falls.

So to answer your question, yes hybrid builds are totally viable. Yes they're fun to use. Yes they work well in PvP. I think the best thing about them in PvP is they throw off your enemy. They're waiting for the same old combo to roll out so they can interrupt or cc you. It's quite a bit harder to do that to a hybrid.

Edited by mrHaterade