Please allow players to opt out of "Rested Experience"

ShadesToo

Hello, the title say it all. With all sources of XP in this game: PvP, Space Missions, Flashpoints, Bonus Missions, Bonus's in regular missions, Planet missions, Class missions and general exploration experience plus whatever it is I forgot there is the huge problem of outleveling content.

I am currently 3 levels higher than my class mission on Nar Shaddaa. I can't see an option but to skip every single optional mission and concentrate only on my class missions until the situation stabilizes. I enjoy doing PvP and the space missions I do for the fleet commendations which are personally improtant to me as that is the only light armour pants I can get at the moment. I would rather do a flashpoint at the level it is intended for then when I 3-5 levels higher than it.

Please, give the player the option to turn off rested experience. It would be better if, like in the City of Heroes, the option exists to disable experience gain, but turning off rested experience would be a huge bonus.

Thank you.

I have not logged out in a cantina ever and oddly enough I have from now to my next level in rested xp. It seems to show up regardless of where it is you log out from.

This may be a bug, I don't know.

I would just like to be able to turn it off period. I would like to be able to turn off XP gain but that is probably harder to implement (though they did it in City of Heroes).

Hello, the title say it all. With all sources of XP in this game: PvP, Space Missions, Flashpoints, Bonus Missions, Bonus's in regular missions, Planet missions, Class missions and general exploration experience plus whatever it is I forgot there is the huge problem of outleveling content.

You will still out level your content again. I went to Nar Shadda before Taris and got way overleveled. I ended up skipping every side mission on Taris. Now on alderann, I'm just about to turn all my quests gray. I always seem over leveled.

You will still out level your content again. I went to Nar Shadda before Taris and got way overleveled. I ended up skipping every side mission on Taris. Now on alderann, I'm just about to turn all my quests gray. I always seem over leveled.

Those jerks a BW don't know how to make a game. Havn't they learned anything from most other games that have come out in the last few years. What they need to do is make tons of content for the first few levels, like up to lvl 20 or so. Then have you slowly run out of things to do as you get higher and higher in level. At 25 you should only have lvl 28 and 29 quests left because the stuff around your level is done and there are no more quests to do. It is unacceptable that you can level to 50 without using any rest xp just by doing even level quests without any pvp, space missions or just grinding out kills for the next level.

/endsarcasticrant

The idea is to have a lot of content in the event you want to run an alt. You can always opt not to supplement your experience with Heroics, Flashpoints, and Space Missions, and just quest. That way you should stay closer to the level.

It's a design philosophy to give players the option of skipping planets they don't like by overleveling on the previous planet, rushing through their story on the one they don't like, and arriving at the next a level or two early. Working as intended.

Understand that if you're going to scour the land for every quest, on every planet, you'll be 50 before you hit Corellia. Working as intended.

Rest Experience isn't to blame for this, it's the core design philosophy of the game.

Edited by Onager

How does rested XP "Hurt" you? If you outlevel a quest it gives you less XP... but that's fine, because you didn't need th XP for it anyway since you are already higher level.

You want to turn off rested XP so you get less XP from stuff you are doing, just so you can get more XP from other stuff? If you don't care about XP that much then why do you care if you outlevel a quest?

/signed

How does rested XP "Hurt" you? If you outlevel a quest it gives you less XP... but that's fine, because you didn't need th XP for it anyway since you are already higher level.

It is story driven MMORPG, not Battlefield 3 :D

Edited by Glower

You want to turn off rested XP so you get less XP from stuff you are doing, just so you can get more XP from other stuff? If you don't care about XP that much then why do you care if you outlevel a quest?

Speaking personally I don't want to miss out on the story. And I like doing other things, such as PVP or the space quests and I like doing them to do them I don't need to get XP from them, and I certainly don't need "bonus" XP overall.

What I would really like to do is to be able to turn off XP gain like you can do in City of Heores when you find yourself getting ahead of things. It is very useful for lots of reasons. But that is a much more major design change while opting out of rest experience should be easier to implement.

Note this is a option so if you feel you want the rest XP then you can get it...but if you don't then you can disable it. I don't see how implementing this negatively affects anyone.

Here we go again.Sounds like the people complaining they were over leveling for a planet.The fact that they were pvping and doing space missions is the reason for it.They wanted xp cut down for the pve portion.&*%$#$ %^&*$#@ I can see another nerf coming.

No I am not asking for a "nerf" I am simply asking for the option to disable the gain of "rested experience."

If you don't disable it, it will not affect you in the least.

I am not the only one who sees the value of this, but I would like it optional.

As far as I am concerned, they could cut the XP gained in half and that would be a huge improvement overall in the game since XP is too plentiful. However, I can imagine that would generate a certain amount of rage by the powerlevelers.

But giving people the option to disable rested experience isn't going to disturb other people playing the game and for some of us would be a welcome improvement. The ability to disable XP gain entirely would also be good but possibly harder to implement.

This ^

The only thing you don't gain from doing quests that have "greyed out" is experience... which is what you don't want... Am I missing the point?

Because I don't trust BW to mess with anything do to with XP gain and not totally screw it up. Watch rested xp become negative and your lvl 25 is 23 after sitting on their ship for a week or so while you play other toons.

It is not broken and it is not something that has a need to be changed. So what, you outlevel content BFD. Get over it.

/signed.

It's rather hilarious to read some of the replies. Allowing this would have zero negative impact on your gameplay if you don't use it. Hell, with ppl not forced to skip content you might actually have more people on planets to team up - thats bad right? :)

Amazingly, I spent a little time w/ Balmorra/Hoth on my Republic slightly under level. I stopped trying to group for heroics, because the population is low, and only do space missions. Not a fan of PvP/Warzones.

And I use rested exp quite frequently.

And I complete every mission on the planet [besides Heroics]

So I'm not sure if its because you add in the WZs or something.

You know. This is one of those things that show how Bizarroworld the Forum audience can be in contrast to the actual playing audience. In every MMO I've played - including this one. Guildmates, strangers, randoms in Zone chat: They all are desperate to reach max level as fast as possible.

Some recommend places to grind, mates congratulate each other on every ding, arrange playtime around swapping alts so as to always having one logged in a cantina for a day or two to accrue rested state.

Never have I seen otherwise inside the actual game. Only here in the forums I see things about "leveling too fast" "game too easy" (In regards to that most mate don't bother with the Heroic open zone missions anymore because they are and I quote "too hard and inefficient, you level faster by avoiding them.") "space combat is boring" ( in game I hear people enjoying combat, especially guildmates - they love the extra XP.)

Perhaps I live in some weird alternate universe or something. But it's just the world I see when I am actually inside playing the game. That's why reading these forums is like peering into a bizarre alien culture of some sort.

Guildmates, strangers, randoms in Zone chat: They all are desperate to reach max level as fast as possible.

Some recommend places to grind, mates congratulate each other on every ding, arrange playtime around swapping alts so as to always having one logged in a cantina for a day or two to accrue rested state.

Never have I seen otherwise inside the actual game.

Must depend on server/people you play with then. Also, aiming for that max level as fast as possible in this story-based game is pretty much boredom-trap, as I'm sure you have noticed on these forums. Once again, adding xp and/or rested-xp toggle still lets you and your friends race to max level at exact same speed as before, but also lets many others, myself included, who overlevel the content way too easily to actually enjoy everything swtor has to offer on the way to 50.

It's about a challenge. It's about wanting to play the game.

Clearing content while pounding numbers on your keyboard while not even caring isn't fun.

Manipulating the game by taking off your clothes every time you want to fight, or some other nonsense is silly (and it defeats another key purpose of gaming in general, the desire to better yourself via carefully obtaining new gear for yourself).

I myself have taken good steps by creating my ALT when my main hit 25, and I do every other planet with these two characters. I still come out 2 levels ahead when I leave a planet.

Rest XP only contributes to the problem.

Is there stuff to do at 50? Yeah sure, but largely from what I hear, I know I don't want to be 50 for a while. Regardless, even if you "take your time" with whatever they offer at 50, you'll still eventually burn out from it. Why not have the option to have fun with the part of the game WE like?

Shouldn't we have the choice?

Don't log out in a cantina.

There's an immense amount of game world you can log out from without granting rested XP.

Personally I find it annoying that there are so few cantinas. Wish there was one with every speeder path point.

You still gain a good % of your level each night in rest XP if you're logged off outside a cantina, or even if you're dead.

I'm almost always fully rested whenever I play. It'd be a nice option to turn it off.

And I hear you, if you'd wish Cantinas were easier to come by, maybe they should be. Everyone should be able to partake in the play style that suits them best.

Edited by Lauski

You know. This is one of those things that show how Bizarroworld the Forum audience can be in contrast to the actual playing audience. In every MMO I've played - including this one. Guildmates, strangers, randoms in Zone chat: They all are desperate to reach max level as fast as possible.

Uhm not one of these people is a role player would be my first thought. Beyond that I don't care how anyone plays the game, unless their idea of fun is to grief other people.

I am asking for a simple change that will have zero impact on anyone who does not opt in. I know it is possible to do this program wise as I routinely use the "turn off XP gain" option in City of Heroes.

Getting to lvl 50 is of no particular interest to me, it will happen when it happens. Getting their faster...why? Leveling my character to level cap is not my goal, I want to enjoy the journey and getting XP thrown at me from every direction is not helping me achieve that aim.

However, what I am asking for is nothing that will harm anyone who wants to charge to 50 in the least. Fill your boot as far as I am concerned; if getting to lvl 50 ASAP is your cup of tea, more power (leveling) to you. I would just like to be able to explore other aspects of the game without constantly outleveling content. I don't want to be walking past possibly interesting quests just because I am already 2 levels above the max level for the planet.

I would be well in favor of more cantina's but I would rather see more people in them role playing rather than walking into a room that is deader than dead.