MMO Vets, What do you think?

Niamton

The only game right now where day and night matters is Minecraft. It's dark, you cant see without a light. New monsters specifically suited for night hunting lurk in the dark.

That link is purty but I'm not interested in Korean games.

The Secret World is coming out soon and they're planning to use dynamic lighting. Similar to what you mentioned about Minecraft. Whether it actually works or not is a totally different story.

My point was, games are starting to toy with better lighting now. Actually using shadows and darkness, all of that. It's going to take some to time to develop, but it's getting there.

• Replies 684
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So, we are supposed to pay 15 bucks a month to do 8 slightly different versions of the same game because the endgame PvP and PvE are not important?

You're not suppose to do anything. Believe it or not, there are plenty of gamers, play games for story first. NOT GAMEPLAY. Seen plenty of polls, to suggest the number is colossal. Preety much splits the gaming community in two, these days. Bioware has always catered to those people,even when EA force them to broaden their sales market, its obvious where they excel and who they cater to.

Variation are NOT slightly different. Even if you take perspective, gameplay, voice acting, NPC reaction and dozens of other changes and focus on content alone. Infact in comparison to lost of other games, they're pretty SUBSTANTIAL..

Each and everyone of those players could get 2 play-thoughs of each class and feel like they get a substantially different exp., worthy of their time, efforts and attention. Im saying could,as most would only do it once for the overall story.

Still to these people slight layers of the plot and shades of morality make all the difference. All of Biowares games have been replayed dozens of times for this very reason and this game by far offers the most variation of content and activities ,given its anand MMO ....

Again make up your own damn mind what you want....... And make a decision. If this is not for you abandon it like a grown-up. OR try to change it like a stubborn kid..... Doesn't change what it was designed to be, and by who it was designed.

THIS IS NOT THE " Gimme more Content. I wanna do it and be done with it. GET ME END GAME NOW " MMO . Youre here for the story, or your obviously lost.....

Edited by SimplyCooL

Whats the point of a day/night cycle, when it's just a palette swap on the sky and maybe a texture of a moon over the sun? Day and Night is inconsequential when it has no real effect in the world. I could agree with you on day/night cycle, if it were to actually get dark at night in today's games.

In Saga of Ryzom (from 2004) the day and night affects the patterns of the mobs, changing where they are and how they moves. The seasons too. Also, some resource are best gathered at nigth than at day.

So it's not inconsecuential if it's well done.

Other complains I've read

Crafting - you will never please everyone with crafting no matter what system you implement. I would like to see the player be able to craft but I can live without it since companions are "you" or an extension of you so its fine with me.

"Ease" of leveling - this is a complaint from a very small group of players, usually those who have loads of time to play and tend to compare themselves and their worth as a player to where they are in comparison to others. They also tend to have a group of players to tackle the tough content others games in the past nearly required you to tackle to level with any sort of speed. I prefer to tackle harder content as a challenge - not be required to do it or be forced to do something incredibly time-consuming and un-fun. Like it or not, WoW peaked after they made leveling easier. as they say - it is what it is.

Other missing "features" - I was concerned when I heard of what was "missing". On page 1 of this very thread someone does a fine job or complaining by listing what is missing. While it's whiny - it is still a list of missing stuff that is...missing.... Over time though I've come to not be as worried. This many months after release there are a relatively small amount of level-capped players and many of those WANT to start alts and experience the story-line. My guess is only that this was anticipated - that unlike other games where it is a simple race to 50 and lets raid because thats all the company focused on - the dynamic in this game will play out much differently - Bioware will be forced to focus on other areas of the game with more than a cursory streamlining of quests or whatnot. To that end there is no way to predict what will need implementing, tweaking, or what the playerbase will desire or WHEN they will need it. Perhaps they were unhappy with the ideas of developed LFG tools and so chose not to implement them and frankly - I dont miss the tool right now even though others do, usually I can find a group if I want, sometimes I can't, but its no big deal atm.

Each and everyone of those players could get 2 play-thoughs of each class and feel like they get a substantially different exp., worthy of their time, efforts and attention. Im saying could,as most would only do it once for the overall story.

You can't, it's not that the main story quest can't work that well, it's that every other quest is exactly the same (or more or less the same givne LS/DS choices).

Running through exactly the same quests 8 times and not being bored..... well it's a pretty narrow band of people that can do that. :(

My biggest knock is the game is too easy and forgiving. Gear is gained too easily. Content is cleared too easily. This leads to the complaints you see from some about having nothing to do at 50.

Good post. I agree that the content is very, very easy. It's also odd that grouping is almost nonexistent for quests other than flashpoints or heroics in PvE. And, if you queue solo for WZs, it's not really a group in the traditional sense. To emphasize single-player gaming for most of the PvE and then have PvP that requires grouping to do well is very weird. A lot of players seem to be hitting 50 and have no idea how to group.

So let me get this straight from your point of view...

You think that BW thinks that there is a huge chunk of WoW's population that isn't interested in the endgame grind for gear... so BW offers SWTOR to those people.

I get your reasoning... the problem is that SWTOR endgame is EXACTLY like WoW's. And if all they're betting on is the story, then that gets old really fast and is way too quick to breeze through for people to pay 15 dollars a months for years on end.

I wouldn't say it exactly that way. I think they are specifically trying to lure those people away. I would suggest a greater focus has been on the leveling experience than the end-game at this point in time. Now one might argue that the game's been in development for a long time, Bioware is a huge company and they spent tons of $$$ to develop the game and should have had the people/experience to develop BOTH aspects of the game to suit everyone - but I don't know jack about game development(nor do most ppl) and so I'm not to sure if it would be fair or not. Who knows how the game developed, what hurdles they came across etc.

I suppose my main point is that a large portion of the complaints for such a young game are coming from a relatively small portion of the game-population. I can see how this is frustrating - if one rushes to level 50 when most everyone else is busy experiencing the leveling/storylines - you're going to have issues from that alone. Add on the other issues that are bound to happen with end-game content and it could drive one nuts.

We also don't know BW's plan. Perhaps they have content prepared for later release but dont want to frustrate people even further - My server has a good republic-side population but I am not sure you could gather say 25 level 50's to do a 25-man raid. You might have trouble gathering 10. Now imagine if those raids were accesible but you could never grab enough ppl for it. Frustrating.

You can't, it's not that the main story quest can't work that well, it's that every other quest is exactly the same (or more or less the same givne LS/DS choices).

Running through exactly the same quests 8 times and not being bored..... well it's a pretty narrow band of people that can do that. :(

Not really NPC refer to you Differently.... You can respond differently and make a different choice based on your characters personality...

Im talking class to class. But even on the same class basis, it can be a different character with different moral spectrum and gender, and Adv Class/ The mission objective remains the same. How you handle the mission, its outcome, its quest-giver, your always give 3 responce and 2-3 choices.... Witch lets you, albeit slightly change the overall result..

Thats what Bioware gamers like.Most other will just have to contend with 8 classes. HE

You're not suppose to do anything. Believe it or not, there are plenty of gamers, play games for story first. NOT GAMEPLAY. Seen plenty of polls, to suggest the number is colossal. Preety much splits the gaming community in two, these days. Bioware has always catered to those people,even when EA force them to broaden their sales market, its obvious where they excel and who they cater to.

Variation are NOT slightly different. Even if you take perspective, gameplay, voice acting, NPC reaction and dozens of other changes and focus on content alone. Infact in comparison to lost of other games, they're pretty SUBSTANTIAL..

Still to these people slight layers of the plot and shades of morality make all the difference. All of Biowares games have been replayed dozens of times for this very reason and this game by far offers the most variation of content and activities ,given its anand MMO ....

Again make up your own damn mind what you want....... And make a decision. If this is not for you abandon it like a grown-up. OR try to change it like a stubborn kid..... Doesn't change what it was designed to be, and by who it was designed.

THIS IS NOT THE " Gimme more Content. I wanna do it and be done with it. GET ME END GAME NOW " MMO . Youre here for the story, or your obviously lost.....

I find it rather insulting that you attempted to sum me up in the "rushed to endgame" group.

I'm lvl 30. The story has been fun. I'll probably level another alt. When I'm done that, if there isn't enough content at 50 to keep me occupied (and/or there aren't many major feature implementations) I'll quit, and guess what - that isn't good for the game.

Good post. I agree that the content is very, very easy. It's also odd that grouping is almost nonexistent for quests other than flashpoints or heroics in PvE. And, if you queue solo for WZs, it's not really a group in the traditional sense. To emphasize single-player gaming for most of the PvE and then have PvP that requires grouping to do well is very weird. A lot of players seem to be hitting 50 and have no idea how to group.

What content are you referring to that is "too easy" exactly? Because we are currently really struggling with completing hardmode operations in our guild. Nothing too easy there in my opinion.

Or do we suck? ;P

The heroic content is the group content. It's like..."group" quests in WoW. I don't see much strange about that at all. They just seperated it so it's clear. Some older MMO's you didnt know you needed a group until you got mud-stomped or walked to the area of the quest and was like oh...there is a "boss" creature here I cant solo...good to know!

The game separates the challenging content from the more basic soloable stuff. I would argue most people like that choice. I hated when in some of the older mmo's there was a huge giant time-sink if you did not know enough ppl or could not gather a group for certain content. Warhammer may still suffer from this(havent played for a loooong time) but by the time I quit WH you couldn't complete the lower level group content and it was detrimental to leveling and made it very very unfun.

Those who are complaining about nothing to do at 50 I have a few questions:

Are you in a guild, that activly groups/raids?

If you're complaining about sitting around doing nothing and are just hoping to find a PuG thats your own fault. Use the guild search features and join a raiding guild. We do 1-2 Raids a week and 1-2 Flashpoint nights a week. We also try to do 1 world boss night event every week or two.

Have you actually finished even half of the quests, or did you run through the class specific quests to hit 50?

Personally I've been 50 for about a month now and still have over half the quests to do, and I thought I did a lot while leveling. You can check the overview in the codex and it will tell you 70/120 or whatever for each planet.

Have you actually tried WZ's?

They are quite fun and it takes a lonnnng time to get to rank 60. I try to do 3 wins a day for the daily quests and I am at rank 32.

There is a lot more to do then the majority of complainers say on the forums..

What content are you referring to that is "too easy" exactly? Because we are currently really struggling with completing hardmode operations in our guild. Nothing too easy there in my opinion.

Or do we suck? ;P

Would have to go with number 2 Bob

this is a matter of opinion. If one is not overly interested in story content then they are not likely to see variation in the storyline or even care about it. Those who love the story and are interested in how different things play out are more likely to find enjoyment out of multiple play-throughs.

I have a level 38 sorcerer and I'd be interested in playing through a sith sorcerer taking all of the light side choices instead of shocking someone everytime they dont do what I want(which is fun btw)

If you're complaining about sitting around doing nothing and are just hoping to find a PuG thats your own fault. Use the guild search features and join a raiding guild. We do 1-2 Raids a week and 1-2 Flashpoint nights a week. We also try to do 1 world boss night event every week or two.

Have you actually finished even half of the quests, or did you run through the class specific quests to hit 50?

Personally I've been 50 for about a month now and still have over half the quests to do, and I thought I did a lot while leveling. You can check the overview in the codex and it will tell you 70/120 or whatever for each planet.

They are quite fun and it takes a lonnnng time to get to rank 60. I try to do 3 wins a day for the daily quests and I am at rank 32.

We clear both ops on hard/nm in one night, and then have nothing left to do the rest of the week.

Been playing since end of Oct for beta and I am loving the game even more. So many new things to be coming out and so many opportunities in time. People simply don't have patience and have short term memories because WoW, AoC, Warhammer, Aion, Rift, etc. all had some major issues at launch. The first 6 months is usually used for hashing out the major bugs, fixing classes, and trying to add some extra content. Once the majority of the big bugs get fixed, there will be lots more focus on content and pvp etc.

Pros for me:

Amazing graphics

Community hasn't been that bad overall yet.

Questing is actually fun

Sound

All the planets I have loved

You really feel part of the game because of your decisions

Enough content to hit max level

Has 2 end game raids and many flash points

Added a new flash point that is just friggin amazing. (Kaon)

BioWare still wants peoples feed back and get very involved still even though some don't feel that. I really see BioWare making extra efforts whereas WoW they didn't want to hear it.

Cons:

Wish it was a little more open to exploration. Planets are a good size yes, but WoW you feel you can explore 100% of the game. Maybe the flying mounts now make it seem that way, but places like Nar Shadaar I don't see them allowing you to use a flying mount and explorer.

Some major Operations bugs could be fixed a little faster. Bugs to where you can't defeat a boss.

LFG feature imo should be added at launch. I know so many debate this but I am not saying cross server ones. Just same server. It has been a big part since introduced and just feel like it is something that should already be there.

Overall I am still loving the game and don't see me stopping anytime soon. I go back to WoW on weekends just to do a LFR and just change it up for a couple of hours and I gotta say, I was on a populated server and it seems semi dead now and then joining LFR 80% of the time is a joke and has tons of kids in there with all the crying, whining, pulling boss while doing trash, wiping on the easiest content ever, even easier then naxx 25, etc. But still when I log on waiting, I just sit there bored because there is nothing I really want to do while in que.

I find it rather insulting that you attempted to sum me up in the "rushed to endgame" group.

I'm lvl 30. The story has been fun. I'll probably level another alt. When I'm done that, if there isn't enough content at 50 to keep me occupied (and/or there aren't many major feature implementations) I'll quit, and guess what - that isn't good for the game.

Sorry.... sorry. I didn't mean to sum up anyone with a particular mass of consumers. Well i kinda did... i mean you unhappy with said features, or lack there-off. So to me its seems they take priority over story "features" And honestly whatever gave you the IDEA that they would?

Still everyone is entirely unique, where their perceptions are concerned, but the are things that unite some of us, more or less, in out interest....

Ive been able to, relate to, attach my self to groups of people on common intersts with gaming properties . Even though we probably differ quite a bit in perception on the nature those interests.

Just saying, if you can here for story, as you clearly should have(Because of the company heritage, reputation and dev. statements), then you'd be more or less satisfied.

Edited by SimplyCooL

I'm not like most ... I have plenty to do at 50, but I can see how those who are a little higher than casual would have a problem. I had a guy leave my guild (we didn't have alot of 50's yet) and he wanted to raid. In less than 2 weeks he canceled his account because the guild he was in was able to clear nightmare mode ops. It's a playstyle and for those slightly over casual ... they run out of content. Personally I have finished 1 hard mode FP at this point.

Most of what you are saying is just playstyle. Many people don't care about story so they skip all that (even I have started to skip some of the overlapping storylines ... still watch my class story). If you are hardcore pvp ... 60 doesn't take as long as you think. I might do the warzones enough for the weekly and I'm just at 30, but I don't pvp much over that.

All in all it's playstyle. I play for a few hours a day usually (3-4), but I'm doing daily quests and then if not enough people are on (a lot of people in my guild created pubs on another server for story) then I hit an alt if I don't want to search for codex entries :)

Been playing since end of Oct for beta and I am loving the game even more. So many new things to be coming out and so many opportunities in time. People simply don't have patience and have short term memories because WoW, AoC, Warhammer, Aion, Rift, etc. all had some major issues at launch. The first 6 months is usually used for hashing out the major bugs, fixing classes, and trying to add some extra content. Once the majority of the big bugs get fixed, there will be lots more focus on content and pvp etc.

Pros for me:

Amazing graphics

Community hasn't been that bad overall yet.

Questing is actually fun

Sound

All the planets I have loved

You really feel part of the game because of your decisions

Enough content to hit max level

Has 2 end game raids and many flash points

Added a new flash point that is just friggin amazing. (Kaon)

BioWare still wants peoples feed back and get very involved still even though some don't feel that. I really see BioWare making extra efforts whereas WoW they didn't want to hear it.

Cons:

Wish it was a little more open to exploration. Planets are a good size yes, but WoW you feel you can explore 100% of the game. Maybe the flying mounts now make it seem that way, but places like Nar Shadaar I don't see them allowing you to use a flying mount and explorer.

Some major Operations bugs could be fixed a little faster. Bugs to where you can't defeat a boss.

LFG feature imo should be added at launch. I know so many debate this but I am not saying cross server ones. Just same server. It has been a big part since introduced and just feel like it is something that should already be there.

Overall I am still loving the game and don't see me stopping anytime soon. I go back to WoW on weekends just to do a LFR and just change it up for a couple of hours and I gotta say, I was on a populated server and it seems semi dead now and then joining LFR 80% of the time is a joke and has tons of kids in there with all the crying, whining, pulling boss while doing trash, wiping on the easiest content ever, even easier then naxx 25, etc. But still when I log on waiting, I just sit there bored because there is nothing I really want to do while in que.

I'm all for exploring ... Corellia seemed to me more like just Coronet and not Corellia a planet per se. Just say no to flying mounts though.

LFG feature is in the game .... just nobody uses it. Yes it could use a little more polish (filters of some sort), but not WoW's version. My server seems fine for finding groups for HM FP's.

Most of my issues with the game are minor ....

multiplayer space missions (I'm fine with the rail shooter it is ... flame me if you wish :))

character customizations

Lack of character races (the forum avatars are misleading if you were following the game for a long time)

Expertise is pvp is too drastic (Kind of like Resilience in WoW) and causes lopsided fighting

The game is a resource hog. My system isn't bad, but it shouldn't take me over a minute to load into a planet.

this is a matter of opinion. If one is not overly interested in story content then they are not likely to see variation in the storyline or even care about it. Those who love the story and are interested in how different things play out are more likely to find enjoyment out of multiple play-throughs.

I have a level 38 sorcerer and I'd be interested in playing through a sith sorcerer taking all of the light side choices instead of shocking someone everytime they dont do what I want(which is fun btw)

Thats kind of my thinking. And i know im not a minority. For instance all my character are somewhat neutral, even though that's detrimental for a GP perspective. Thats kinda the whole Argument. Gameplay vs Narrative. Bioware has always emphasized the latter over the former. And as a result the former has always been lacking. Witch again, as in this time as well, is what we have. Serviceable gameplay and EndGame, complemented by solid Narrative and Storytelling.

I believe BW CEO ones said , they only use Video Games as a platform for telling good stories. Lately they've tried to improve on their gameplay borrowing from all sort of games GOW/ WOW, heck even *gulp* COD. with little success. Perhaps that's why some people get mixed up expectation. But throughout the years they've hammered story so much in their community relations, how is it someone didn't notice, what they were buy.

Or perhaps had hybrid expectations. IDK

. Many people don't care about story so they skip all that

Mhhh, then they shouldn't be playing. And then demanding changes. Who buys a Story-Driven MMO and then complains that there's story. Its like my buying and Fantasy RPG and being dissed that its not sci-fi.

If People just wanna do End Game for the sake of End Game, why evenchange MMOs in the first place?

They shouldnt just skip the story, rather skip the game. Thats the worse. Totally out of place, yet demanding and complacent.

Edited by SimplyCooL

One issue I have with leveling is that with the moddable items, there is very close to zero chance that a trash mob is going to drop anything that's actually useful to me. Any green/blue that drops I don't even bother examining but I'm certain it's inferior to what I'm already wearing, and this is true from level 10 up. This completely undermines any 'thrill' there is to seeing a monster drop a 'magic' item.

This times infinity. If just this one thing was different, I'd probably have stayed. One of the single biggest driving forces for player retention is that chance, however small, that something really good is going to drop. It's the reason people are *still* playing Diablo 2.

This isn't just trash mobs either, which would be bad enough. I literally *never* found or got a piece of gear that was as good as what I had on at the time. Quest rewards, drops, commendations, nothing. This all by itself absolutely killed the game for me, nothing else had to be wrong.

Bioware has completely destroyed this motivation via orange gear, and taken away one very major reason people play games like this over a long period of time. This can't be overstated enough, and is going to be the single biggest reason they lose players, whether the players know it or not.

In their convoluted attempt at an appearance tab, they have apparently unwittingly destroyed one of the major psychological motivations to play a game like this.

Thats kind of my thinking. And i know im not a minority. For instance all my character are somewhat neutral, even though that's detrimental for a GP perspective. Thats kinda the whole Argument. Gameplay vs Narrative. Bioware has always emphasized the latter over the former. And as a result the former has always been lacking. Witch again, as in this time as well, is what we have. Serviceable gameplay and EndGame, complemented by solid Narrative and Storytelling.

I believe BW CEO ones said , they only use Video Games as a platform for telling good stories. Lately they've tried to improve on their gameplay borrowing from all sort of games GOW/ WOW, heck even *gulp* COD. with little success. Perhaps that's why some people get mixed up expectation. But throughout the years they've hammered story so much in their community relations, how is it someone didn't notice, what they were buy.

Or perhaps had hybrid expectations. IDK

is it really too much to expect that an mmo based off the Star Wars IP features decent pvp? you know, something that doesnt boil down to just trading kills back and forth in ilum since thatws all there is to do.

push to enemy spawn, die, get pushed to your spawn, repeat.

star WARS, light side vs dark side, jedi vs sith, you know... whats being told through 6 movies , books, cartoons and so on?

My thoughts are in the link in my sig. To that post, add this:

- No day/night cycle

- No swimming

- No housing

- No Pazaak, Sabacc, Dejarik, races, casino, etc...

- Dumbed down character creation

- No post-creation character customization

- No appearance tab/outfit system

- No high res textures

- No environmental interaction (chairs, walls, doors, etc...)

- Simple combat with static enemies

- Unconvincing and stiff animations

- Empty dead worlds with not enough NPCs moving around

- No collision detection

- No stats on resources

- No crafting customization

- Restriction in choice of starship

- No ship decoration

- Dumbed down space combat

- No multiplayer space combat

- Removal of many races

- No faction change/neutrality

- Restriction and instanced planets by faction

- Less planets than announced

- Planets rated by levels with no reason to go back

- No GM events

- Removal of choice to kill companion

- Removal of possibility to talk to other faction at all times

- No RP tools

- Nothing to do post-story

- Endgame consisting on waiting in fleet

This makes me cry. The game would be billions of times better with everything here and what you talk about in your post. :(

I really hope the dev team goes back and adds all these things in the next year. It will blow any other MMO away if done right, because it's Star Wars.