Give me a legitimate reason to NOT have a LFD tool.

EvilTrollGuy

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I don't like the idea of a Cross-Server LFG tool. Apart from how that contributed to the downfall of a friendly community in WoW and all I saw after that were people hitting "need" on stuff they couldn't use. It will in a way take away part of the community feeling of your server if you're always using the LFG utility.

I remember BioWare saying they want this to be a social and friendly game, and their hopes were that each server had a warm atmosphere. If they put in a Cross-Server LFG tool, it will only take away from that hope.

I do like the idea of a LFG tool even though we already kinda have that with the lfg comment that some people don't use. I am for a same server LFG tool though. The only kind of Cross-Server utilities I'd really feel comfortable with would be cross faction pvp and server transfers.

I remember seeing a lot of posts from players a few weeks ago about them being upset about items from flashpoints being "needed on for companion". If a Cross-Server LFG tool is put in, what do you think will happen there? Do you think that kind of activity is going to lessen or just stop? It will only get worse. It will create the same kind of attitude players have in Warcraft. "I'm not going to see you ever again, I'm needing that sword for transmog that is a huge upgrade for you."

I understand on some servers either side is almost vacant and finding a group can be slow or impossible using chat, so in this instance I am all for those servers getting some help and having a LFG tool.

But my votes are no to cross server flashpoints, yes to cross faction pvp.

If BioWare has to put in cross-server flashpoint grouping, at least put in the option to find people only from your server. This could make both groups happy.

Edited by Tiralyon

It's coming. Just a question of low long it will take Bioware to get one out.

I'll renew my subscription once it's in place and reevaluate the game then.

The lfd-hating community hypocrites enjoy telling people on low pop servers or those with limited/unusual playing time to go eat $%#@.

Edited by grueber

It's coming. Just a question of low long it will take Bioware to get one out.

I'll renew my subscription once it's in place and reevaluate the game then.

The lfd-hating community hypocrites enjoy telling people on low pop servers or those with limited/unusual playing time to go eat $%#@.

Actually, i think they're trying to tell bioware to fix their servers.

but that may just be me.

Edited by Tic-

No. The LFD hating community knows exactly what will happen to this game if and when they implement a LFD cross server tool. I have played on other games with low population servers and when I saw the population wasnt increasing, know what I did? I performed a server transfer myself. I created a different character on a more populated server. I left my first character on the low pop server, just in case the population ever started to increase.

Why should the majority suffer to appease a few?

For those of you on low pop servers, I support the ability for a server transfer. I do not however support the killing of a games community because you refuse to socialize with the few people that are on your servers.

Geez. Every single MMO goes through this LFG/LFD tool growing pain. Some people just can't accept it is a necessary feature in 2012. You can guarantee BW will be putting one in because every game developer knows they are a necessity as well.

Community, community, community... Give me a break. As many have stated before the community is what you make of it. Usually it never expands past your guild. Outside of your guild they are just random people and IF you happen to like a person you usually invite them to your guild anyway.

The LFG tool does not have any mind controlling effects. Some think it has a power to mind control people into being dbags. Just simply is not true. That's like saying playing video games makes you violent. A person won't change their base behavior. If you meet a dbag they suddenly didn't become a dbag- they were ALWAYS a dbag.

Accountability... Uhm yeah that works out really well. People that yell in WOW trade- So n so's a ninja generally get laughed at. Learn how to master loot...

Anyway I have to go change my shoes and socks right now. Been wading through too much of this community BS.

No. The LFD hating community knows exactly what will happen to this game if and when they implement a LFD cross server tool. I have played on other games with low population servers and when I saw the population wasnt increasing, know what I did? I performed a server transfer myself. I created a different character on a more populated server. I left my first character on the low pop server, just in case the population ever started to increase.

For those of you on low pop servers, I support the ability for a server transfer. I do not however support the killing of a games community because you refuse to socialize with the few people that are on your servers.

Why does the game HAVE to revovle around >Flashpoints< ? isn't that sort of narrow-minded? I'm not saying to neglect FPs, but how about a cross-server LFD + social activites/community activities that'll 'bond' the server.

FPs are not the only way to interact, you know?

IMO the nay-sayers are all doom and gloom. It's either everything or nothing and the whole community will be ruined by the slighest hint of a LFD tool.

Geez. Every single MMO goes through this LFG/LFD tool growing pain. Some people just can't accept it is a necessary feature in 2012. You can guarantee BW will be putting one in because every game developer knows they are a necessity as well.

Community, community, community... Give me a break. As many have stated before the community is what you make of it. Usually it never expands past your guild. Outside of your guild they are just random people and IF you happen to like a person you usually invite them to your guild anyway.

The LFG tool does not have any mind controlling effects. Some think it has a power to mind control people into being dbags. Just simply is not true. That's like saying playing video games makes you violent. A person won't change their base behavior. If you meet a dbag they suddenly didn't become a dbag- they were ALWAYS a dbag.

Accountability... Uhm yeah that works out really well. People that yell in WOW trade- So n so's a ninja generally get laughed at. Learn how to master loot...

Anyway I have to go change my shoes and socks right now. Been wading through too much of this community BS.

Downright lies from someone who clearly only played that other game after LFD was introduced

Newsflash, in vanilla there was accountability. If people claimed you were a ninja and it happened enough it did have repercussions

The rest of your post is just some strange rant ignoring all the points made against the LFD in this and other threads

Agree

Community? Lol! This game has the worst community I've ever seen. Never seen so many ninjalooters in my life. Although to be fair I'm beginning to suspect a lot of those are actually gold farmers as they never say a single word. People you group up with are usually ok, but gods help you out in the field while leveling.

Geez. Every single MMO goes through this LFG/LFD tool growing pain. Some people just can't accept it is a necessary feature in 2012. You can guarantee BW will be putting one in because every game developer knows they are a necessity as well. only a necessity at the end of a games lifespan. this is from IGN interview:

IGN: Moving forward might there be something like a group finder or something like that? An auto-finder implemented into the game?

James Ohlen Some people ask for a dungeon finder system but the thing about those systems is they're really for more of a mature online game. If you put a system in early on it really takes away from the exploration of the level up game. If you have people all just basically waiting around their dungeon finder and all being grouped up together, they're going to actually take the time to explore all the worlds that are available in the Old Republic galaxy. So it's definitely a feature that we want to put in, we just want to put it in at the right time. However, the looking for group feature is something that we continue to work on, we want to make that more robust and more powerful.

Community, community, community... Give me a break. As many have stated before the community is what you make of it. Usually it never expands past your guild. Outside of your guild they are just random people and IF you happen to like a person you usually invite them to your guild anyway. this only occured in wow at the implementation of the random dungeon finder

The LFG tool does not have any mind controlling effects. Some think it has a power to mind control people into being dbags. Just simply is not true. That's like saying playing video games makes you violent. A person won't change their base behavior. If you meet a dbag they suddenly didn't become a dbag- they were ALWAYS a dbag. i have no clue what your talking about but i can tell you this: if you are trying to say that anonymity does not influence a persons decisions to play nice or be a dick, all i have to say is look at all the anonymous trolls on message boards or just go run a few dungeons solo in wow using the random dungeon finder.

Accountability... Uhm yeah that works out really well. People that yell in WOW trade- So n so's a ninja generally get laughed at. Learn how to master loot... they laugh because wow has made it to where you have no tools whatsoever to ostracize griefers by /ignore, because they can just use the LFD button and get a group without ever having to worry about their server community blackballing them.

Im not positive, but im pretty sure the people that want the LFD system are mostly the griefers and social outcasts that wnat this game to be a solo player experience so they dont have to socialize in genre that is most known for its social community.

A cross-server LFG tool needs to have specific loot rules, and some sort of safe-guarding against griefing and other un-desirable behavior.

It took Blizzard something like 6 months and 3 iterations to get it to an acceptable level, still can be abused to some degree... Do players have faith in Bioware to be able to pull this off, considering how unfinished, unpolished or downright broken some things have seemed since release?

Free transfers won't solve what the cross server tool will solve. Including odd schedules- level bracket discrepancies -etc.

That is not a solid argument to deny a cross server tool.

Not to sound like a jerk here, but clearly you didn't play WoW before the LFG tool was put in. There was high accountability, often if you acted with the kind of attitude you're using in this post, your reputation as a player was ruined on that server and you never got into any kind of dungeon or raid as long as you stayed on it. Your only option was to start over fresh on a new server.

As for the master loot comment, there is no master loot option in flashpoints that i am aware of. i've never seen it used if there is, nor would people run with someone in a flashpoint if there were and the group leader turned it on.

If you are not for a "community element" game, then you're going to be in for a bit of a surprise. the community element is already built in, hence the social rank system. There are a lot of MMO veterans here and we enjoy having a friendly community on our servers. We like getting along with the other players on our server. If we wanted a bunch of people with a bad attitude, we'd stay on Warcraft. But we're not on warcraft. We're on ToR and we want it to be a good game with a friendly community, so more players will come join us and have fun.

What we don't like is the elitist and entitled attitude we see from younger players. We generally auto-ignore people like that who go on a rant over chat. We're here to have fun, we've been around for a long time. We know what works, and what doesn't.

A LFG tool would work, if it is restricted to only find people from our server.

Edited by Tiralyon

Not to sound like a jerk here, but clearly you didn't play WoW before the LFG tool was put in. There was high accountability, often if you acted with the kind of attitude you're using in this post, your reputation as a player was ruined on that server and you never got into any kind of dungeon or raid as long as you stayed on it. Your only option was to start over fresh on a new server.

As for the master loot comment, there is no master loot option in flashpoints, nor would people run with someone in a flashpoint if there were and the group leader turned it on.

If you are not for a "community element" game, then you're going to be in for a bit of a surprise. the community element is already built in, hence the social rank system. There are a lot of MMO veterans here and we enjoy having a friendly community on our servers. We like getting along with the other players on our server. If we wanted a bunch of people with a bad attitude, we'd stay on Warcraft. But we're not on warcraft. We're on ToR and we want it to be a good game with a friendly community, so more players will come join us and have fun.

What we don't like is the elitist and entitled attitude we see from younger players. We generally auto-ignore people like that who go on a rant over chat. We're here to have fun, we've been around for a long time. We know what works, and what doesn't.

A LFG tool would work, if it is restricted to only find people from our server.

I couldnt have said it better myself.

There was high accountability, often if you acted with the kind of attitude you're using in this post, your reputation as a player was ruined on that server
accountability, based on dungeon's? maybe even low-lvl dungeon? really?

not a raid progres?…

sorry what?

There are 2 main camps in the "anti-LFD" tool:

1) The "you must socialize" group. This is the smaller of the anti-lfd players. LFD tools are becoming the standard in MMOs.

2) The "no cross server" group. This is the main bulk and the biggest complaint. I recall Bioware stating that they were aware of this and were taking it into account. Most of the OP's arguments come from this group, and they aren't anti-LFD, they just want it limited to the same server.

We're getting cross-server PvP, so Bioware already has the capability. When the LFD/LFG tool comes, I'm sure it will come with same-server capabilities. Unfortunately, because of the low population on some servers & faction imbalance, Bioware may find itself being forced to implement cross-server LFD/LFG, but hopefully it will do so with useful tools. These are some ideas:

1) Cross-Server as an option

2) Creating groups of servers like the forums and having cross-server be limited to the pool of servers shared. Each large server can have 4-9 less active servers to share the pool of players.

3) Enforcing the player's ignore list when matchmaking. Because of the large pool of possible players and the fast speed of leveling, this would only be effective if the LFD ignore list ignored the account and not the character. It's not characters that get ignored, it's the player.

4) Replace the loot system with a barter system for LFD based instances. Instead of dropping a profession specific item, drop a token that can be traded for the item. This is less desirable since developers find it too easy to "increase the grind" by simply raising the cost of items, so that multiple runs are needed for a single item, but it does greatly help reduce the dispute on who can roll for what on loot.

5) Conversation should be an option in the LFD interface. Players doing it for the first time and wanting to read the conversation shouldn't be matched with players on their 10th run wanting to skip everything. To provide incentive for players, a bonus can be given to the social points if doing a flashpoint with unskippable conversations.

Just because WoW did it first doesn't mean they have to be copied exactly. IMO, there's no legitimate reason not to have a LFD tool, but there are many legitimate reasons against specific features of the tool which have reasonable alternative solutions than simply "no tool".

cute , you think those people are the minority when they are the majority.Very few people are whiling to restart their now lvl 50 charater on a different server because their server is dead; most will just quit. Cant wait for the upcoming Cross-Server LFD .

my solid arguement was a page back.
There is nothing solid in that. The community element should never be mandatory for players to experience the content. Including group content. In 2012 with weird schedules, that's not realistic.

cute , you think those people are the minority when they are the majority.Very few people are whiling to restart their now lvl 50 charater on a different server because their server is dead; most will just quit. Cant wait for the upcoming Cross-Server LFD .
if you refuse to restart, then wait on the server transfer option that everyone knows is coming, stand around on your dead server and troll the forums all you like while the rest of us have fun in our thriving server communities and get groups with little to no effort without a LFD cross server tool.

in your words, this is a "cute" attempt at a troll though.