Desktop Hardware Q&A

Veilshatter

I don't mind spending a good bit of money but would like to keep it as minimal as possible. I would say under $250 would be ideal more then that and i would probably just invest in a new computer. Thank you for the help =)

Ebbikenezer Hit the nail on the head get the up to date architecture DDR3 ram a vid card with GDDR5, and a new power supply

Edited by Veilshatter

• Replies 819
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

this is what im running now:

AMD Phenom II X4 955(3.2GHz)

4GB DDR3 1333

nvidia geforce 9800gtx +

700W psu

windows 7 64bit

im looking to upgrade planning to add another 4gb ram and looking at this graphics card:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130687

im just wondering if there are any other glaring problems with the setup. i dont know a ton about pc components and the card is a large investment for me. im tired of playing on the lowest settings :).

Edited by Donniedarkomn

just thought i would update here since i just finished ordering all my new parts

went from a $500 budget, to spending roughly $875 with taxes and shipping

all new

Mobo: Boxdp67bgb3

CPU: Intel Core i5-2500K

GPU: Geforce Gtx550 Ti

Ram: Corsair Vengeance 8 GB

PSU: CORSAIR Enthusiast Series TX650 V2 650W

plus i bought a Razer Lycosa at the same time, to go along with my Naga and Razer SWTOR headset that i already have.

so in a week or so once it all gets here i should be having fun lol

My game performance is pretty bad - it seems my computer can't even handle the surface of Hoth, the screen just locks up after a few seconds of moving around.

My video card is an ATI Radeon HD 2400 Pro. I didn't even see this listed in the big performance guide thread - does that mean I'm not even in the ballpark?

My system is a few years old, I figure I'm due for an upgrade anyway. I run Windows XP with an Intel Core 2 Duo E6550 - 2.33 GHz, 3.25 GB of RAM.

I assume it makes sense just to upgrade my entire system but I'd be interested in opinions.

Hi, got a quick question. I'm setting up dual monitors for my computer. Is there a way to play star wars on one monitor, and netflix on the other? I ask this because I tried doing this but every time I click on the other monitor not on TOR, it takes me out of the game. Thanks.

hi, im currently running swtor (which i finally managed to buy collectors edition yesterday =p) on a laptop. overheats every 10 minutes lol.

anyway, was wondering for a good gaming pc set up.

i will be able to purchase a peice of the pc a month/bi weekly at a max of maybe £250-300 gbp (great british pounds) per part.

maybe you guy's could list me a descent set up, not fussed if it takes me 6 months to collate all peices so dont worry about listing computer parts that all add up to £250-300 each (even a/set of fans if they come that pricey), as long as it copes with swtor and all the parts work together.

im a newb to pc's, so if you have retail names (names of parts i can search in the online shops) of the items, and not the slang names if any, would be greatly appreciated.

thanks.

-boidaez.

=p

i need to upgrade my computer, its running the game but very choppy. does this system work, i plan on buying this computer:

Intel® Core™ i5-2320 processor; 6GB DDR3 memory; 1TB hard drive; Windows 7, Intel® Turbo Boost Technology; DVD±RW/CD-RW drive; AMD Radeon HD 6450 graphics with 1GB video memory; 19-in-1 media reader

i need to upgrade my computer, its running the game but very choppy. does this system work, i plan on buying this computer:

Intel® Core™ i5-2320 processor; 6GB DDR3 memory; 1TB hard drive; Windows 7, Intel® Turbo Boost Technology; DVD±RW/CD-RW drive; AMD Radeon HD 6450 graphics with 1GB video memory; 19-in-1 media reader

Upgrade the video card

Edited by blowmedown

Hi All,

I apologize if this has been answered already, 50+ pages of posts to sort through is a little daunting.

I am building a new rig. I am going with the nVidia 560 ti. ( http://www.gpureview.com/show_cards.php?card1=641&card2= )

Will I see any performance enhancement from running two of these?

I will be using a SATA drive, 12GB RAM, 64 Bit Win 7, and a low end i7 processor.

Thank you for your time.

Hi all, great thread and I appreciate the IT folks taking their time to answer questions. Great to see and it's a huge help. My old system will not play this game. I have a budget of $750. Options seem limited at this price point. I was looking at this machine and wanted to see if I would be able to run the game smoothly on med settings, shadows off, details on grass and tress turned down. TOR is the only game I play. Thx.

Intel® Core™ i5-2320 processor(6MB Cache, 3.0GHz)

Operating System Genuine Windows® 7 Home Premium, 64Bit, English

Memory3 8GB4 Dual Channel DDR3 SDRAM at 1333MHz

Hard Drive 1000GB3 SATA hard drive (7200RPM)

Video Card NVIDIA GeForce GT 530 (will this be a major issue??)

Hi all, great thread and I appreciate the IT folks taking their time to answer questions. Great to see and it's a huge help. My old system will not play this game. I have a budget of $750. Options seem limited at this price point. I was looking at this machine and wanted to see if I would be able to run the game smoothly on med settings, shadows off, details on grass and tress turned down. TOR is the only game I play. Thx.

Intel® Core™ i5-2320 processor(6MB Cache, 3.0GHz)

Operating System Genuine Windows® 7 Home Premium, 64Bit,English

Memory3 8GB4 Dual Channel DDR3 SDRAM at 1333MHz

Hard Drive 1000GB3 SATA hard drive (7200RPM)

Video Card NVIDIA GeForce GT 530 (dwill this be a major issue??)

Dude i run. Nvidia 9800gt with i5 and 4gb ramn, 320 gb hitachi sata 2 and have No issues...

Is it worth it to upgrade to this card from a Radeon HD 5770? I am looking for a card in the $150-200 range.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150563

Its not just for this game, but Skyrim, Witcher 2, BF3, ME3, DX:HR, etc etc.

Yes if your PSU has the connectors and the power to push it.

This is the 1gb version compared.

http://www.hwcompare.com/6025/radeon-hd-5770-vs-radeon-hd-6870/

Edited by blowmedown

I am trying to play this game but my current set up was never really meant for gaming and it's super slow. I'd like to make some upgrades, namely probably on the video card. I really need suggestions on what is compatible, a good deal, and will make this game enjoyable.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883103221

Thank you!

Sorry new PC time.

I'll definitely need a new PSU, as I only have one connector for my 5770.

Honestly, my PSU is confusing me entirely. It says it has 250 watts..yet the 5770 uses 400 watts. It has a lot of chinese writing on it, so I think it could be fooling me.

What PSU would work with that 6870 I posted above for a reasonable amount of cash?

Will this computer run SWTOR, I am buying it from someone and just want to know what I need to do to it.

There are 3 spare hot swap bays for additional HDs and 2 extra PCI-E slots for video cards. Below are the specs:

Case: NZXT Gamma

Power Supply: 600w Owltech (Japan) Modular

CPU: Intel Q6600 Core 2 Quad 2.4Ghz

CPU Fan: Zalman CNPS 7500 AlCu LED 2-Ball

Motherboard: EVGA 132-CK-NF78-A1 3-Way SLI

Video Card: MSI Lightning N260GTX 1.7GB

Ram: 8GB

Hard Drive: 250GB 7200rpm SATA and 200GB 5400RPM SATA

Optical: ASUS DVDRW

Edited by takumei

I'll definitely need a new PSU, as I only have one connector for my 5770.

Honestly, my PSU is confusing me entirely. It says it has 250 watts..yet the 5770 uses 400 watts. It has a lot of chinese writing on it, so I think it could be fooling me.

What PSU would work with that 6870 I posted above for a reasonable amount of cash?

This is high quality $60 you will need to use you old PSU power plug it should pull right out the back of it.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371030

The 5770 has a TDP of 107 Watts they recomend a 400 Watt PSU to power your entire system incase you have a really overated/low quality PSU. Your system is drawing about 200 Watts

This is high quality $60 you will need to use you old PSU power plug it should pull right out the back of it.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371030

The 5770 has a TDP of 107 Watts they recomend a 400 Watt PSU to power your entire system incase you have a really overated/low quality PSU. Your system is drawing about 200 Watts

Nevermind, I got it. I'm going to go with the same model/brand that you suggested, but 620W so it lasts longer, and its only a little more.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371031

Thank you very much, bro.

Edited by OklahomaSooner

Will this computer run SWTOR, I am buying it from someone and just want to know what I need to do to it.

There are 3 spare hot swap bays for additional HDs and 2 extra PCI-E slots for video cards. Below are the specs:

Case: NZXT Gamma

Power Supply: 600w Owltech (Japan) Modular

CPU: Intel Q6600 Core 2 Quad 2.4Ghz

CPU Fan: Zalman CNPS 7500 AlCu LED 2-Ball

Motherboard: EVGA 132-CK-NF78-A1 3-Way SLI

Video Card: MSI Lightning N260GTX 1.7GB

Ram: 8GB

Hard Drive: 250GB 7200rpm SATA and 200GB 5400RPM SATA

Optical: ASUS DVDRW

That's old but yes you can play probaly not very well even on low settings. How much are you paying for that?

I would pass and get something better.

Edited by blowmedown

Is this PSU the same as the one you posted, which is actually perfect, except 80 more watts? It has a $10 mail in rebate, which would make it the same price as the one you posted.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139028

That's a low quality 480 WATT PSU that's overrated read some of the reviews where it came dead as in DOA its a good name brand but their cheapest line.

The one i listed is pleanty of power and good quality made by Seasonic.

Edited by blowmedown

Nevermind, I got it. I'm going to go with the same model/brand that you suggested, but 620W so it lasts longer, and its only a little more.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371031

Thank you very much, bro.

http://extreme.outervision.com/psucalculatorlite.jsp

Just to give you something to look at you can put in your system here and get close to what you need with that card you will use about 320 WATTS add about 30% over what they recomend and always buy a quality PSU.