How to heal a friendly moving target

DragonAgeOrgins

So I'm NEW to healing and I am trying to "target" friendly's. Without warning it "Auto Targets" bad foes. But it won't target friendly foes so I can heal them what gives?

I feel your pain, because I did indeed have this problem at the beginning. There are two solutions:

1. Click on their portraits on the left side to select different ones

2. Use the f keys to target your allies. F1 is you.

I usually use number two.

• 1 year later...
It's really difficult in PvP to heal people. Takes way too long to try and click someone when they're running around, you're getting taunted, etc.

Well as a healer, taunts aren't going to do anything to you. You can carry on healing whoever.

As for clicking people, in both PvE and PvP I click on ops frames. I have the health bars really big and have health text enabled. If I'm being guarded, I put that tank to my Focus Target (alt+F) so that their health, buffs, and debuffs are much bigger. The biggest problem I seem to have with this is that although I can tell if I am in range to heal someone, they may be LoSing me. So if I click on someone I want to heal, and can't do it, I move on to the next person who needs heals.

Different things work for different people; the above is what works for me. You may want to try finding out/ changing the hotkey for switching between friendly targets, like how the Tab key is used for switching between unfriendly targets.

Healing with OPs frames is no problem in PvE, as you will usually be able to decide whom to heal next based on the information you are shown (the health bars and debuffs) and the things you know (who the tanks are e.g.).

I find it much more difficult in PvP where you might see a player being focused, but difficult to target directly (because there is a bunch of other players between you and him). It is also difficult to quickly find that friendly on the OPs frame, especially if it is PUG.

In PvP I will usually heal like this:

a) the tank that guarded me

b) the player with lowest health, if the health bar is not moving downwards too fast, i.e. I still see a chance to get my heal through before they die.

c) cover as many people as possible with HoTs

d) use AoE heal on cooldown

• 3 weeks later...

I actually ran into this problem early on when i started healing in this game.

Sometimes when you are healing you need to pay attention to the action and nnot zoned out in the ops frame. It can be difficult to click a moving target in this game so It was difficult to heal while in these situations.

So after looking through the controls menu, i noticed an option called "Target nearest friend". This option by default has no hotkey and is not bound to anything. So i bound it to my R key.

What it does is allows you to basically face your desired friendly and target him immediately. It will require a little positioning to get your aim down, but practice will get you better at it. When you get the hang of it you will learn how to select specific friendlies that may be very close to one another.

This option increased my healing presence and overall battle awareness because i dont have to look at the ops frame as much and i can be more engaged in the action and I don't have to click anyone. Ever. I try to minimize the amount that i actually have to click on screen as much as possible to maximize movement and ability accessibility without having to frantically click in the middle of a cluster****.

I am a PvPer mostly. This helps tremendously in pvp since battle is dynamic and you really cant zone out on ops frames at all in pvp.

Remember The option is called "target nearest friend"

Hope this helps.

I'm new to healing but have 2 good friends that both heal well. 800k is common and I've been with both at >1.2M in the 55 bracket.

They both just use op frames to click the target. Nothing fancier. I moved my Ops frame closer into the center of the screen and made the bars larger and I'm using this style. I use the middle mouse button as my self target modifier - so healing me is mid button plus heal and heal teammate is just heal. Again, pretty sure they don't even do this.

Not saying it is "the way" but one in particular is very good and she's just a clicker to target on the ops frame. Good luck.

• 2 weeks later...

I click in the ops frame, as others have said. However here are two tips for keybinding:

1) if you want to precast heals on someone and you see an enemy about to attack a friendly, target the enemy then use your keybind for 'target of target' to set your target to be whoever the enemy will attack in the future. Get your heal cast started; by the time the enemy actually deals damage, you'll be almost done with your cast

2) Tab by default cycles through your enemies in field of view. There is a similar keybind for friendlies. Bind it to something easy to hit and that'll reduce the amount of mousing to the ops frame that you'll need to do.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

targeting has always been an issue for me in this game

what i do, and as others have suggested, is adjust the ops/party frames and move/adjust them to my preference

i also keybind the "target nearest friend" to my " ` " key i can at least point my toon in the direction of the person i want to heal and hope for the best when i hit the bind