Do you ever use your heals when dps specced?

Adiva

Yes, I dont use heals in PVP unless we outnumber them and I just have to hold on for a bit.

In PVE they can really come in handy. You cant always rely on a healer all the time. I heal a lot on the phase transition in SOA and have healed threw the final boss in False Emperer when the healer DLed 15 s3ec into fight. So although they are not great heals as a merc I do get 4.5-5.5k crit heals.

Not extremely useful but can help.

Without Critical Efficiency, you are going to find yourself in a heat management problem rather quickly. Since Rapid Scan is a hard hitting heal, we need it to heal up some of the damage the group gets. If any part of healing involves lowering the heat cost by whatever means, then you are off to a better playing field.

Howbeit, when leveling as dps spec, I wouldn't be surprised if everyone popped a heal or two during a fight. So technically for everyone: yes :p

in my pvp arsenal spec i take the med tech talent from the bodyguard tree in addition to full points in integrated systems and custom enviro suit from the arsenal tree.

while the healing isn't effective while being targeted in the heat of battle with damage/interrupts/cc, i find that if i can LOS for a few seconds i can get a healing scan>rapid scan off and survive quite often.

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#300bcZrIkrRrdRzbzZ0c.1

Edited by jorgehyde

The crap part about healing as a non-body guard is that most of the time you cannot out-heal the damage coming in to your target. Be it yourself or someone else, if they can't drop aggro and stop getting hit, at best all you can do is keep them at roughly the same level... for about 30 seconds until you're overheated and have already vented once.

Imo, that is the one true line in the mercenary profession... you are either a healer or you are not, because it's nearly impossible to half-xxx it and get be effective at anything.

Pretty much only in group situations, where either Mako or the healer needs a hand, or solo, in that time period when everything but the CC'd mob is dead.

Even then unless you can shift its attention to your companion or drop line of site (hide behide an object or wall), you won't usually heal enough to win because all the time you're casting you're still taking damage.

Edited by bahdasz

No, and when doing group content, don't do it at all!

You think you're helping the healer, while your only making any problem worse. You're dps, the healer doesn't need your help unless he asks for it. You should spend your time reducing the incoming damage by killing stuff, that's your role.

Non-healing spec anything aren't offhealers either, unless they're overlvl'ed/overgeared compaired to the content/rest of the group.

And even solo it's useless, just use Mako and kill stuff before you die.

No, and when doing group content, don't do it at all!

You think you're helping the healer, while your only making any problem worse. You're dps, the healer doesn't need your help unless he asks for it. You should spend your time reducing the incoming damage by killing stuff, that's your role.

I disagree - sometimes. In a PUG, I will heal if it looks like someone's going to drop. Not every healer is awesome at his or her job, plus crap happens. It's all situational.

Also, sometimes you just need to heal your tank friend, even if you have Mako out, because the two of you are level 44s fighting a level 47 champion, and it's more important that you guys live through the fight than anything. If the tank dies, you won't kill the champion at all.

Like the topic says, do you find the heals any useful when specced either arsenal or pyrotech?

Or are they way to weak to be of any use unless specced into?

pve i have held up the tank and another dps a few times to "not wipe" though overheating is an issue

in pvp i normally self cast for a medal, or i may heal the tank sheilding me, or possibly heal the ball carrier

but rarely do i heal in pvp we are gimp healers if not speced