SWtOR.exe > external hdd

bobahfeht

SWtOR executable on an external hard drive. Has anyone tried this and did it work?

There's no reason why the game or any app wouldn't run off an external drive. With that said, the speed of the drive may cause performance issues. I'm not sure I would want to run the game off a USB Drive but an eSATA drive would be the same speed as an internal SATA drive of the same model.

Edited by JerokTalram

There's no reason why the game or any app wouldn't run off an external drive. With that said, the speed of the drive may cause performance issues. I'm not sure I would want to run the game off a USB Drive but an eSATA drive would be the same speed as an internal SATA drive of the same model.

Just wanted to know if there were restrictions, so when I'm not at my PC I can run this safely on another. Thanks! :D

I tried and it works. But external HDD RPM is important , i you have HDD with slow RPM you might want to run it on your local HDD instead cuz of performans issues , it direclty effects your load times for example and its annoying.

I installed it on my external hdd usb 3.0 and everytime I try to log onto the server a message tells me that I'm unable to connect even though the servers are up...

I tried and it works. But external HDD RPM is important , i you have HDD with slow RPM you might want to run it on your local HDD instead cuz of performans issues , it direclty effects your load times for example and its annoying.

The speed of the data connection trumps the HD spindle speed.

I wouldn't bother trying to play from an external drive with anything slower than USB 3.0, preferably eSATA

Edited by iain_b

During beta, I did actually run it from a USB 2.0 external drive. Not by choice, the original beta client I downloaded simply installed there and I didn't notice until later (yeah...I hit next and accept without reading)...anyway, once I did notice it, I moved it to my main drive and noticed very little difference (if any true difference at all).