Bioware - The lack of money sinks is going to ruin the economy.

Danjb

Basically, once you are level 50 with epic level 49 mods, maxed crew skills and have your mount of choice, there really isn't much to spend your money on.

It isn't a big deal at the moment because these sorts of problems start off small and eventually grow out of proportion.

If new money sinks aren't introduced then soon enough the majority of players are going to have more credits than sense and a pretty bad case of inflation will set in.

This will alienate new players who will struggle to keep up and won't to be able to afford anything.

I assume (hope) you're aware of this - are there plans for additional money sinks to be introduced fairly soon?

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What economy?

Ever thought that this might be a planned effect to stop professional credit farmers?

If that's the case, it's a terrible idea. A lot of players spend a lot of hours crafting, selling, monopolizing markets, etc. It is a much needed game system that will help the longevity of the game.

This can all be fixed with crafting system that's actually useful. They've stated that they are aware and are working on a more rewarding, player driven economy.

When and where? I distinctly remembering them saying they didnt want a player driven economy like other games but would like crafting to be 'useful'

Edited by AKfourtyseven

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?p=2417047#edit2417047

Towards the bottom:

"Major changes are currently on schedule for the next major content patch, such as extractable basemods (armoring, barrel, etc.) from purple items, critical crafting successes on orange outfits, more bind-on-equip schematic drops for artifice and other professions, increased relevance of augments, better reverse engineering chance, and other improvements. We want to create significant incentive for players to engage in the crafting economy – as provider of goods or supplier - without requiring players to take up a specific profession as a ticket into endgame.

Long term, our plan is to evolve Star Wars: The Old Republic’s game economy to a more player driven model, strengthen and improve the GTN and embrace the game’s extensive appearance customization throughout the game. We have a long list of improvements planned for that but we’re also anxious to hear from you. Feel free to use this thread to give us your feedback on the topic!"

If they cared about the ingame economy, they would have adjusted slicing in the beta, and fixed various known money exploits before going life.

Now it is way to late to care about it because of the existing situation.

Way too late? The game is two months old, and already the economy is forever screwed? Really?

Put on a flamesuit OP :p

casue basicly most posts on these forums are players complaining that

OMG i have to pay for Respeccs,Repairs, Mounts,Skills and so on.

Asking for more money sinks when people some people cant even seem to buy the first mount skill will be fun :D

But personaly i do agree with you and i do hope that they will come up with some more :)

Edited by Varghjerta

If that's the case, it's a terrible idea. A lot of players spend a lot of hours crafting, selling, monopolizing markets, etc. It is a much needed game system that will help the longevity of the game.

Totally agree.

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?p=2417047#edit2417047

Towards the bottom:

"Major changes are currently on schedule for the next major content patch, such as extractable basemods (armoring, barrel, etc.) from purple items, critical crafting successes on orange outfits, more bind-on-equip schematic drops for artifice and other professions, increased relevance of augments, better reverse engineering chance, and other improvements. We want to create significant incentive for players to engage in the crafting economy – as provider of goods or supplier - without requiring players to take up a specific profession as a ticket into endgame.

Long term, our plan is to evolve Star Wars: The Old Republic’s game economy to a more player driven model, strengthen and improve the GTN and embrace the game’s extensive appearance customization throughout the game. We have a long list of improvements planned for that but we’re also anxious to hear from you. Feel free to use this thread to give us your feedback on the topic!"

Ah, thanks for that, good to know :)

Economy inflation? What inflation? There are a bazillion of different currencies. You have commendations for this, commendations for that, and everything is BOP. IF you could buy a rakata helmet from GTN for 25 000 000, now that would be a different matter to worry about.

Basically, once you are level 50 with epic level 49 mods, maxed crew skills and have your mount of choice, there really isn't much to spend your money on.

Sounds like every MMO I have ever played. What's your point again?

You do know you can spend money on leveling alts too right? :)

It isn't a big deal at the moment because these sorts of problems start off small and eventually grow out of proportion.

If new money sinks aren't introduced then soon enough the majority of players are going to have more credits than sense and a pretty bad case of inflation will set in.

This will alienate new players who will struggle to keep up and won't to be able to afford anything.

I assume (hope) you're aware of this - are there plans for additional money sinks to be introduced fairly soon?

I really hope this is a troll post and people are just humoring you. I healed a guild HM Kaon run last night, which myself and and another were virgins there, so we had some trial and error...lol After finally finishing, I personally tallied up just shy of 100K in repairs, not to mention buying extra basic medpacks and stims. To me, this was pretty high, but understandable. In no way am I complaining about it.

My point is not everyone in this game can be with a group that does not wipe or can plow through hard mode content fairly easy. Not everyone spends hours doing dailies and gathering credits. I agree, there definitely need to be credit sinks, but I personally feel they are ok where they are at right now. At least for a few more months so we can see how changes and fixes to the game effect credit income and value of items. A lot can happen between launch and launch+6 months. Just my opinion.

Moddable epics will provide a nice money sink, when they are implemented.

Kind of, except the removal cost for an epic mod provides an artificial price cap. If it costs, say, 23k to remove an enhancement then any below that price on the GTN will sell and any above it will do so only rarely when people first get gear.

Gems in WoW, for example, are single-use and, as such, are regularly required meaning that prices are entirely based on supply and demand. Here the supply is effectively a one-time purchase unless someone is willing to list at below that point.

I guess consumables for non-Biochemists are the exception.

I really hope this is a troll post and people are just humoring you. I healed a guild HM Kaon run last night, which myself and and another were virgins there, so we had some trial and error...lol After finally finishing, I personally tallied up just shy of 100K in repairs, not to mention buying extra basic medpacks and stims. To me, this was pretty high, but understandable. In no way am I complaining about it.

My point is not everyone in this game can be with a group that does not wipe or can plow through hard mode content fairly easy. Not everyone spends hours doing dailies and gathering credits. I agree, there definitely need to be credit sinks, but I personally feel they are ok where they are at right now. At least for a few more months so we can see how changes and fixes to the game effect credit income and value of items. A lot can happen between launch and launch+6 months. Just my opinion.

I'm not trolling.

Money sinks by definition are optional, if you find yourself with not a lot of money, you don't participate in money sinks. Simples. Just because you don't have a lot of money, doesn't mean inflation won't kick in.

I also stated that right now it isn't a big problem, but eventually it will be if nothing is done. Part of the reason it will become more of a problem later is because over time people will wipe less and less in Operations, lowering repair bills, etc etc.

Now it's since been explained to me that things are in the works, so that's good.

How many more money sinks can they come up with though? Its just a reality in MMO's. People will be richer thelonger they have been playing. That is just how it is. You can't have too many money sinks to combat that, because again you screw the newer people.

Something that you can afford to spen 1k credits on, you will be able to spend 10k credits on in a year or 2. Just accept it.

Every single person in my guild is sitting on between 750k and 3 million credits. The people with 750k have wasted money out random crap out of boredom, including multiple speeders (even the 90%) that they never actually ride.

None of us have made any effort to farm for cash, run FP / OPs with the goal of credits, and absolutely no one I've met at 50 works the market by buying low and selling high.

Then again, that last one is most likely because the UI for the market is hilariously bad.

Either way, the OP is absolutely right in my experience. Everyone has a different experience, but overall I'd say level 50 means you're rich without any financial goals.

Monopolizing a market in no way will define the longevity of a game, that is just ridiculous.

I just don't understand this and maybe I'm just to simple to ever understand it. I leveled to 50 without ever using the market once. I have maxed out crafting/gathering 2x on my main and on several alts, never used the market, never needed to.

I have millions of credits and really I could care less. I use my credits to help guildies with respec / repair bills.

Why is it that a market is 100% necessary for the game to function? You NEVER have to buy anything off of it to level cap, you NEVER have to buy anything to get the best gear in the game. So why are you whining and crying about it?