The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

deep tactics spec - y u no viable?

hegyitaho

well it is possible.. using expertise buff + power relic + power stim, on a squishy agent to break 5k as tactics.

not sure if it was firepulse or HiB though... that WZ was hectic as hell :/

http://s9.postimage.org/7xa913y3x/Screenshot_2012_02_20_22_53_21_027400.jpg

But most of the time... no.. dmg doesnt begin to compare to the big spikes of a 31 assault build.

I do however feel (over my previous assault build)

a) much less ammo unstable

b) bit more useful interupting healers more often with 6sec riot

c) much more survivable with -20% dmg on stun.. and hold the line.. and *gasp* ion cell

spec used:

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#801hRrZrsrro0fkds.1

And as I want to be edgy and cool, like all the trendy kids, ill name it. The "Halloween Spec", for a fairly obvious reason.

Edited by Sandzibar

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well it is possible.. using expertise buff + power relic + power stim, on a squishy agent to break 5k as tactics.

not sure if it was firepulse or HiB though... that WZ was hectic as hell :/

http://s9.postimage.org/7xa913y3x/Screenshot_2012_02_20_22_53_21_027400.jpg

But most of the time... no.. dmg doesnt begin to compare to the big spikes of a 31 assault build.

I do however feel (over my previous assault build)

a) much less ammo unstable

b) bit more useful interupting healers more often with 6sec riot

c) much more survivable with -20% dmg on stun.. and hold the line.. and *gasp* ion cell

spec used:

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#801hRrZrsrro0fkds.1

And as I want to be edgy and cool, like all the trendy kids, ill name it. The "Halloween Spec", for a fairly obvious reason.

And there we have it. Proof. 5k hit. And with you running Ion Cell it could have theoretically been 8% higher~.

8% affects only the proc damage of Ion Cell, a few points of damage.

I meant he was running Ion Cell instead of High Energy Cell which is 5% to elemental damage and with talents gets a 3% boost up to 8%. 8% of 5200 is about 420ish damage. Nice chunk of change.

Technically more ammo means more dmg. I havent tried running tactics in the last month in pvp but i could see it doing more dmg. Where a Assault trooper has to manage his ammo theres gonna be down times where he has to throw in alot of hammershots, most wz's are hectic and crazy and perfect ammo management never works out all the time. With tactics it always felt like unlimited ammo. While assault is throwing off some hammers, a Tactics guy can continue to spam off some ions while waiting on cooldowns.

More ammo=More dmg.

And there we have it. Proof. 5k hit. And with you running Ion Cell it could have theoretically been 8% higher~.

I guess I stand corrected :o

Not sure if that screenshot is from pre-surge nerf, but I'm impressed regardless.

Technically more ammo means more dmg. I havent tried running tactics in the last month in pvp but i could see it doing more dmg. Where a Assault trooper has to manage his ammo theres gonna be down times where he has to throw in alot of hammershots, most wz's are hectic and crazy and perfect ammo management never works out all the time. With tactics it always felt like unlimited ammo. While assault is throwing off some hammers, a Tactics guy can continue to spam off some ions while waiting on cooldowns.

More ammo=More dmg.

The problem with Tactics is that it's better the better your team is doing. If you never get CCed and never get focused, Tactics is amazing. However, it is the very fact that Tactics is so ammo efficient that their damage is low. Anytime you get CCed, you lose full damage. If you have to kite out and line of sight to survive, you lose full damage. Whereas for Assault Vanguards being CCed and kiting merely means they regen some ammo that they can use to spike harder a few seconds later, the ammo efficiency of Tactics means that any time they aren't spamming on their target is damage lost.

Edited by Kesrik

I've just been running games, didn't get any 3k's but got a lot of 2.9k mortars. Stars didn't quite align for me this time. Yeah, it's definitely possible and when I did my 3.9k I probably clicked my crit/surge trinket instead of my +power one, perhaps.

I get a lot more return for the power trinket than the surge trinket. I typically use my +25% crit ability with the power trinket. I'm running with a BM shield generator ATM. As soon as I have enough commendatons I'll pick up the BM medic generator for the extra power and see what happens.

I guess I stand corrected :o

Not sure if that screenshot is from pre-surge nerf, but I'm impressed regardless.

The problem with Tactics is that it's better the better your team is doing. If you never get CCed and never get focused, Tactics is amazing. However, it is the very fact that Tactics is so ammo efficient that their damage is low. Anytime you get CCed, you lose full damage. If you have to kite out and line of sight to survive, you lose full damage. Whereas for Assault Vanguards being CCed and kiting merely means they regen some ammo that they can use to spike harder a few seconds later, the ammo efficiency of Tactics means that any time they aren't spamming on their target is damage lost.

I posted 5 minutes after the end of the WZ / when screenshot was teken... so this is post surge nerf.

Hold The Line and Shock Absorbers give you a couple of nice tools that improve survivablity much more over Assault.

25% sheild + 20% shockabsorb is a serious amount of damage mitigation (as long as you can pop the sheild BEFORE you get dog piled by the stun spamming melee zerg).

Plasma Cell 31pt Assaults wouldnt last nearly as long when being focused.. and they dont have the Snare/Root/Knockback/Charge immunity with 30% runspeed that hold the line provides.

Im not saying that Tactics is amazing.. it isnt... but its not as terrible and nonviable as people suggest.

Edited by Sandzibar

Tried Tactics yesterday with Ion cell. Works great. AS spec is also nice and easier to handle but Tactics is a hard mode proff spec i'd say :) Needs a lot to take into account before doing something worth but the fruit is delicious in the end.

In previous posts i've seen another arguement for Tactics. Most imps don't expect you Hold the Line and Gut them again and again lol :) Quite often remarked their astonishment and silly action in return to your fast moves and strikes. They just have nothing to stop you. Then your cc goes on and the enemy is crying already. If you have Cyber grenades and use them after cryonade, neural and riot your foe's moral is broken completely especially if it's a healer or any kind of casters.

Want to stay a bit longer in the spec, i fell in love with it ))

One more thing about the damage.

Sentinels have some kind of buff on 5min cd that will increase damage of their group by 15%. It works only for 4 man group in the warzone, not for all 8 teammates.

It would be interesting to see PC/MV combo on a group with Sentinel's buff active :p

Oldschool Bright Wiz/Sorc bomb groups anyone?