Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

Fresh 50 Healer Merc, gear questions

jinfire

First my spec: http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#300bfRMRbcdkqZrcoZb.1

Stats: 36% crit, 85% Surge, 10.5% Alacrity

Now my actual question is, we want the combat medic stuff right? But I see that gear mostly has alacrity and power. Which are fine but I dont want to drop my crit and surge. Now I like Alacrity, a lot. But I dont like droping my crit and surge below what they are, much. My question is what do you guys do?

Most people hate Alacrity, I kind of like it, but I feel comfortable where Im at. 5 or 10% more is fine but I want to stay at my crit / surge levels, how do I do that when all the combat medic gear has power and alacrity.

Also Im a Armormech 400, I can make the 2 rakata items from getting 400 skill, where do I learn the other rakata recipies at? what set do I need to reverse engineer? The Biorestorative?

Any advice on gearing, how to use armormech fully, spec, stats, ect would be appreciated

Edited by jinfire

As far as I know, there's only two Rakata pieces you can make with Armormech. You will need to craft each one several times until they crit. This will let you drop an augment into them. There are Columi schematics that drop off HM bosses. It's possible there could be Rakata on NM, but I haven't checked. The extra components for them usually drop off raid bosses at that level of play.

PITA? and thanks for advice.

Pain in the Butt (Swap Butt for another name for a donkey)

Our raiding gear like Tempestas mentioned is forced with Alacrity. With that in mind, the Columni gear for instance wields level 56 purple mods. This is raid quality material. Finding Enhancements with this level quality is troublesome at best since you will be sacrificing gear by pulling mods out of other gear you have to win over, granted people are in no need for them whatsoever. Finishing the HM FPs. that's a slightly different story, but same principle, as long as no one is in need of the piece.

I read that two heroics, one on Belsavis and one on Illum will grant you an Advanced 23 Artifact mod. But not as good enough as the raid drops since they are 24.

Edited by djinnerman

just use daily quest mod.

i only use that and manage heal HM BP, FE up to 16man EV

16 man EV i might be carried by 3 other healer but the only better geared than me healer is the sorc. (judging at their 13k hp) fail SoA but the boss Enrage twice with none death. so it's dps fault, not heals.

Are Crit, Surge, and Alacrity the main stats for a Bodyguard? What are the 3 top stats?

Aim. Aim. Aim.

Crit, Surge, and Alacrity are all secondary stats that have a "cap" and DR.

My personal caps are Crit (40%) Surge (90%) Alacrity (1 sec Healing Scan cast time).

Aim is your primary stat, crit and surge provide their biggest benefit at around 30-35% and 80-90% respectively. Stacking alacrity is a personal thing, but in hps ( health per second ) and heat generated power provides a bigger gain then alacrity. But getting heals off quicker can make all the difference.

Going to copy paste my other post I made abit ago cause I don't want to re-write it but I hope it helps. *I do NOT know as much about alacrity yet but believe it follows the same rules.

Most people tend to missuse the words "Soft cap and Hard cap" nowadays..

There is no soft cap or hard cap(aside from like 100%) to "most" stats aside from like acc. being that endgame bosses are 110% acc. (This is also being tested to possibly only be 8% fyi.) Its very hard to determine which atm without combat logs as it takes a very, very long time and amount of hits on the same mob to confirm.

Stats such as Crit and Surge have "DIMINISHING RETURNS" as well as I do "think" alacrity and expertise does as well, although I do not look into those 2 stats much currently so dont quote me on those two.

Soft cap=After certain level of something the benefit drops to a point where you only slightly benefit from the stat. which usually leads to other stats being focused on.

Hard cap=After certain level of something the benefit completely halts and you no longer receive any benefit from it.

Diminishing returns= After multiple levels of a stat the benefit keeps "diminishing" the more you receive of that stat. usually resulting in switching focus to another stat that has more "weight" to it or value till they balance out.

When people are mentioning the 30-35% crit range, and 80-85% surge range they usually say soft cap, when really its not entirely. This is just the range where it becomes more beneficial to start stacking a different stat vs the same one as its currently diminished in value vs the different stat. When you balance out one stat the others start to become abit more valuable again. People are currently working on accurate calculations and bugs in a spreadsheet to help with this. Meaning don't just stack crit and surge to that mark and never look at it again. Its best to keep reading info on stat weights and such till everyone figures out more information.

Power on the other hand doesn't cap or have diminishing returns on it as it seems currently. Now does this mean you should only stack power? No.. Arsenal especially leans a lot on criting to vent heat etc.

Sithwarrior.com is a good reference site to look thru for information and calculations if you would like proof of all this. Also, if you wish to see on your own its quite easy to take all your gear off, write down your crit/surge and use a relic and write down %. Then put only like 50-100 crit surge worth of gear on and use the same relic and note the difference the relic gave you before and after.

Hope that helps someone..

p.s. Just remembered I wanted to add something else about acc... Everything other then your Rapid shots (the non-heat, lvl 1 ability you get) is a "Special attack" This means that YES unload and Rail shot are NOT based on tech accuracy, but on Special attack accuracy and both are subject to the mobs defense. (Note that both special attack acc. % and tech attack accuracy are the same atm though) Now tech. attacks are subject to the mobs resistance.

Tip is to look @ champion PVP gear for mods as they are easy to obtain.

This one was a reply post to another user about Soft Caps and Diminishing Returns difference. Although, it may have more info that may help someone. Hopefully it makes sense.

Although, a soft cap can really be any range that they chose and while diminish"ed" return/benefit of that stat is happening it usually doesn't keep scaling like actual diminish"ing" returns does.

In your explanation it does basically do that but it usually just straight out has 2 levels of capping. Where it drops to the 45ish range and where you completely gain nothing from it. Up until you hit a soft cap, you will get the full benefit from w/e stat your stacking. Meaning there's usually no lessened value/diminishing value in between the two levels.

Defense rating in wow was a good example of this, although atm I am overly tired and cannot recall if Accuracy behaves in the same way as it..

A few quick links, and the wow one has an example as well.

http://www.wowwiki.com/Cap

http://www.wowwiki.com/Diminishing_returns

Not even sure someone wrote it on swtors wiki yet honestly.

GO TO SITHWARRIOR.COM FORUMS! This place has a TON of calculations, theorycrafting, and even some spreadsheets! *Not as much on Bodyguard's yet.

Edited by Rakunvar

Going to copy paste my other post I made abit ago cause I don't want to re-write it but I hope it helps. *I do NOT know as much about alacrity yet but believe it follows the same rules.

Most people tend to missuse the words "Soft cap and Hard cap" nowadays..

There is no soft cap or hard cap(aside from like 100%) to "most" stats aside from like acc. being that endgame bosses are 110% acc. (This is also being tested to possibly only be 8% fyi.) Its very hard to determine which atm without combat logs as it takes a very, very long time and amount of hits on the same mob to confirm.

Stats such as Crit and Surge have "DIMINISHING RETURNS" as well as I do "think" alacrity and expertise does as well, although I do not look into those 2 stats much currently so dont quote me on those two.

Soft cap=After certain level of something the benefit drops to a point where you only slightly benefit from the stat. which usually leads to other stats being focused on.

Hard cap=After certain level of something the benefit completely halts and you no longer receive any benefit from it.

Diminishing returns= After multiple levels of a stat the benefit keeps "diminishing" the more you receive of that stat. usually resulting in switching focus to another stat that has more "weight" to it or value till they balance out.

When people are mentioning the 30-35% crit range, and 80-85% surge range they usually say soft cap, when really its not entirely. This is just the range where it becomes more beneficial to start stacking a different stat vs the same one as its currently diminished in value vs the different stat. When you balance out one stat the others start to become abit more valuable again. People are currently working on accurate calculations and bugs in a spreadsheet to help with this. Meaning don't just stack crit and surge to that mark and never look at it again. Its best to keep reading info on stat weights and such till everyone figures out more information.

Power on the other hand doesn't cap or have diminishing returns on it as it seems currently. Now does this mean you should only stack power? No.. Arsenal especially leans a lot on criting to vent heat etc.

Sithwarrior.com is a good reference site to look thru for information and calculations if you would like proof of all this. Also, if you wish to see on your own its quite easy to take all your gear off, write down your crit/surge and use a relic and write down %. Then put only like 50-100 crit surge worth of gear on and use the same relic and note the difference the relic gave you before and after.

Hope that helps someone..

p.s. Just remembered I wanted to add something else about acc... Everything other then your Rapid shots (the non-heat, lvl 1 ability you get) is a "Special attack" This means that YES unload and Rail shot are NOT based on tech accuracy, but on Special attack accuracy and both are subject to the mobs defense. (Note that both special attack acc. % and tech attack accuracy are the same atm though) Now tech. attacks are subject to the mobs resistance.

Tip is to look @ champion PVP gear for mods as they are easy to obtain.

This one was a reply post to another user about Soft Caps and Diminishing Returns difference. Although, it may have more info that may help someone. Hopefully it makes sense.

Although, a soft cap can really be any range that they chose and while diminish"ed" return/benefit of that stat is happening it usually doesn't keep scaling like actual diminish"ing" returns does.

In your explanation it does basically do that but it usually just straight out has 2 levels of capping. Where it drops to the 45ish range and where you completely gain nothing from it. Up until you hit a soft cap, you will get the full benefit from w/e stat your stacking. Meaning there's usually no lessened value/diminishing value in between the two levels.

Defense rating in wow was a good example of this, although atm I am overly tired and cannot recall if Accuracy behaves in the same way as it..

A few quick links, and the wow one has an example as well.

http://www.wowwiki.com/Cap

http://www.wowwiki.com/Diminishing_returns

Not even sure someone wrote it on swtors wiki yet honestly.

GO TO SITHWARRIOR.COM FORUMS! This place has a TON of calculations, theorycrafting, and even some spreadsheets! *Not as much on Bodyguard's yet.

You made some really good points here. Thanks and keep up the good work.

I'm wondering, with the upcoming "balancing/nerf" to surge, if it will be just as viable to stack power for increased base healing.

(taken from patch notes now on Test Center)

Classes and Combat

General

Surge rating has been re-balanced. It now reaches diminishing returns the same way as other damage ratings, and its per point damage contribution has been reduced by approximately 10%.

I'm wondering, with the upcoming "balancing/nerf" to surge, if it will be just as viable to stack power for increased base healing.

(taken from patch notes now on Test Center)

Classes and Combat

General

Surge rating has been re-balanced. It now reaches diminishing returns the same way as other damage ratings, and its per point damage contribution has been reduced by approximately 10%.

Most likely personally I like power, because if my base healing is ok I wont have to really on crazy crits to heal someone if the fudge up.

Aim. Aim. Aim.

Crit, Surge, and Alacrity are all secondary stats that have a "cap" and DR.

My personal caps are Crit (40%) Surge (90%) Alacrity (1 sec Healing Scan cast time).

Love to know how you got your healing scan down to 1 sec and still have high crit and surge. I stack alacrity and even raid buffed my stats are nothing like these.

Whilst I'm not full rakata (4 pieces and full columi) mine buffed come in at something like 37crit, 84 surge and 13.7% alacrity (which isn't a 1sec healing scan). Also note I have augment slots in boots, belt and bracers - but that's it)

Edited by Madmaxuk

Love to know how you got your healing scan down to 1 sec and still have high crit and surge. I stack alacrity and even raid buffed my stats are nothing like these.

Whilst I'm not full rakata (4 pieces and full columi) mine buffed come in at something like 37crit, 84 surge and 13.7% alacrity (which isn't a 1sec healing scan). Also note I have augment slots in boots, belt and bracers - but that's it)

Yeah, currently bit low on surge, having some trouble finding good mods/enhancements since I dont need more crit, just surge, but pretty stacked on alacrity, its at 19% now and that makes healing scan 1.2 and rapid 1.6

So really dont see how you could get it down too 1 and still maintain enough surge.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.