The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Unload doing less damage than rapid shots?

demoncrat

I've killed a lot of hoppers with unload. You guys act like it takes forever, and you have to be at range. If RP is down, railshot is down, my heat is fairly high, and the guy is spazzing around in circles, I love to pop unload, and it does the job moving his health bar down quite a bit, setting him up for another RP which is usually up by then.

I have a build kinda similar to Ironfist, btw, though a few differences. I use 'useless' flamethrower a lot too, and it works just lovely. Maybe I'm more creative than some people? Channeled abilities have their place - flamethrower is nice on those gunslingers hunkering in their cover, on 3 or 4 guys pounding on your healer, on stunned targets, etc.

Speaking from a PvP pespective I think really the only useless skills a PT has would be Shoulder Slam and Missile Blast. Flamethrower is also nice on a carbonized clump if DFA is on CD, people also seem to not interrupt it as much and it hurts, a lot!

This seems to me purely cinematic. Why do you need to CC normals?

Not at all cinematic. This is actually my normal rotation in this situation. As far as "CC" goes, perhaps that was the wrong term to use but what I mean is that I'm taking a mob out of action while performing my normal tanking duties. If you followed my rotation, I throw an ED at the first normal mob, he's stunned and in a few seconds will be history, hence, he's doing no damage. I use unload on the 2nd mob because, 1. it's the only ranged ability I have available at that particular moment that is capable of killing the mob in 3 seconds or less and 2. While it's killing him, he's stunned and can't damage me or anyone else. Most of the time, a single use of unload does the job. For those times that it doesn't, I follow up with Rail Shot as it's now available because my cylinder is almost always procc'd by Unload. Hence, I aggroed and tanked 1 mob and killed two others in less than 5 seconds. I think that's pretty cool, but Unload is a necessary part of that rotation and thus, far from useless.

Not at all cinematic. This is actually my normal rotation in this situation. As far as "CC" goes, perhaps that was the wrong term to use but what I mean is that I'm taking a mob out of action while performing my normal tanking duties. If you followed my rotation, I throw an ED at the first normal mob, he's stunned and in a few seconds will be history, hence, he's doing no damage. I use unload on the 2nd mob because, 1. it's the only ranged ability I have available at that particular moment that is capable of killing the mob in 3 seconds or less and 2. While it's killing him, he's stunned and can't damage me or anyone else. Most of the time, a single use of unload does the job. For those times that it doesn't, I follow up with Rail Shot as it's now available because my cylinder is almost always procc'd by Unload. Hence, I aggroed and tanked 1 mob and killed two others in less than 5 seconds. I think that's pretty cool, but Unload is a necessary part of that rotation and thus, far from useless.

This. It's useful in BT. In other FPs I use it but not much. I let DPS handle the normals while I go after silvers/greys.

Speaking from a PvP pespective I think really the only useless skills a PT has would be Shoulder Slam and Missile Blast. Flamethrower is also nice on a carbonized clump if DFA is on CD, people also seem to not interrupt it as much and it hurts, a lot!

Agreed on this. Missile Blast is so bad for PT.

Agreed on this. Missile Blast is so bad for PT.

Missile Blast is awesome for stopping multiple cappers on a turret/door when Death From Above is on cd and you don't have enough gcd's to use Rapid Shots/IM on all of them and are too far away for Flamethrower.

Shoulder Charge, I've never used even in PvE. :c

Edited by Varicite