Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

People BAD in pvp

Balondemar

Are ppl so bad on every server? or is it only on my server?

I have never seen so many ppl in one place over and over again not having a clue what to do.

In HB they are not focusing on the ball in at all,not defending it or attacking the carrier.They are running around fighting random ppl far away from the ball and they dont care if you loose or win.

In Voidstar NONE are focusing on the doors. They are fighting far away from the door or in the middle. No one are typing on the chat and if someone do type "HELP L/R" no one reads it.

In CW ppl are not defending stations, they fight out in the open with randoms the same as in HB. Same goes here for the chat, NO ONE is reading or typing.

If you are trying to give ppl some help they tell you to **** and stop trolling. They are there to have fun, not to read and work :S I know its not always about winning, but when u que for pvp you are there to win,are you not??

I have a 50 on both sides so this goes for both factions, and i usually run in pre-mades and then its not a prob cause we can pretty much steer the wz to a win, but its the solo ques. I know i can just stop going pvp solo, but im just wondering if this is world wide, and not special to my server. This is the biggest frustrating thing ever and i know i cant do anything about it, but at least i can migrate to a better server.

PS: Sorry for the unreadable english, not my strongest side.

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Most "pvpers" in this game behave exactly like mobs.

First red nameplate = attack, no matter what he's doing or what class he is.

Red nameplate attacking me or watching at me funny = aggro him and NEVER EVER change target again until he is dead (or I'm dead). Who cares if I have to run througn an entire enemy group 1 km away from any objective to kill the mother****er.

Welcome to MMO PvP? Assuming this is your first?

Because once you've played a few, you'll find that "most" people are pretty clueless to strategy and completing objectives vs just farming kills. Usually you find a handful of good ones on a server and you tend to remember them. Not much more to expect from the rest.

Now it also doesn't help that BW's medal system is a bit questionable. It motivates healers to dps moreso than heal, if they want commendations. But healers aside, still a lot of people who don't know the basic objectives of the warzones, and how PvP101 is to target the healers!

90% of players are laughably bad at PVP.

90% of those bad players do not realise they are bad.

The Dunning–Kruger effect is a cognitive bias in which the unskilled suffer from illusory superiority, mistakenly rating their ability much higher than average. This bias is attributed to a metacognitive inability of the unskilled to recognize their mistakes.

The irony is, even people who sometimes top the charts at the end of a match can often be considered "bad." Most people just try to kill the nearest enemy or the nearest enemy with the lowest health.

I enjoy kiting 3, 4 or even 5 enemy players away from a fight. I take a pounding, but it helps my team win since those players are only attacking ME and not the "important" part of the fight.

Not helping your team win is bad. IE., not nuking the ball carrier, not helping defend a turret, etc... Sadly, these are difficult metrics to evaluate.

I mean, I don't think there's a metric to show how much damage I've prevented using my taunts. 30% damage reduction can change a fight. It seems as though only "guard" shows up as a deflected damage metric.

If they make the rewards for winning a match even greater, this might change. But then all the issues (eg., 11+ man teams) will lead to more epic QQ and some of that might be justified. Although I hate to justify any QQ.

It's not that EVERYONE in the game is bad, it's that there are bad players on every realm. We call those casuals. ;)

The best thing to do to remedy that (to a certain degeree) is to l2get some good pvping friends and que it up. even if you get 4 really bad players, as long as you know how to play the game and focus fire healers and cc dps while maintaining the objective, you'll always win.

P.S. do it as a Repub character and you get even more props since they're underpopulated :cool:

I mean, I don't think there's a metric to show how much damage I've prevented using my taunts. 30% damage reduction can change a fight. It seems as though only "guard" shows up as a deflected damage metric.

Taunt does show up under the "Protection" field. It's the same as Guard. Try it. In one game, don't Guard at all and only use taunt. You will get credit for it. Obviously not as much as if you combine both Guard and Taunt, but if you ever needed to stay in full DPS mode, you can still get the medal benefits from Taunt.

Yeah, I think when there is some kind of ranking system some of this might change. I don't want to use the evil A word, but something like that perhaps. I know in that "other" game people with good A rankings were generally better at pvp. I mean, you have to win to get a good rating. Winning in that sense touches on the intangibles that are hard to quantify.

Back in the days when druids were "op" with feral charge, bash, cyclone, root and whatnot ... I found those abilities key to every win. No medals. No metrics to show what I was doing. Just team mates and friends who loved to play and we all valued the roles we all played in winning.

Oh, and of course there were tons of pissed off players who lost and then qq'd about it to high

heaven. Even B caved and changed the spec. It must have been a sad day. I'm glad I left W before that happened.

I have never seen so many ppl in one place over and over again not having a clue what to do.

In HB they are not focusing on the ball in at all,not defending it or attacking the carrier.They are running around fighting random ppl far away from the ball and they dont care if you loose or win.

In Voidstar NONE are focusing on the doors. They are fighting far away from the door or in the middle. No one are typing on the chat and if someone do type "HELP L/R" no one reads it.

In CW ppl are not defending stations, they fight out in the open with randoms the same as in HB. Same goes here for the chat, NO ONE is reading or typing.

If you are trying to give ppl some help they tell you to **** and stop trolling. They are there to have fun, not to read and work :S I know its not always about winning, but when u que for pvp you are there to win,are you not??

I have a 50 on both sides so this goes for both factions, and i usually run in pre-mades and then its not a prob cause we can pretty much steer the wz to a win, but its the solo ques. I know i can just stop going pvp solo, but im just wondering if this is world wide, and not special to my server. This is the biggest frustrating thing ever and i know i cant do anything about it, but at least i can migrate to a better server.

this all goes away with rated WZ's...... u queue with a premade, everyone does there job...... u dont have to worry about the scrubs on your team cuz there shouldnt be any

in other words, every server should have already established a strong lineup

I run on the Lord Adraas RP server (yes I know not the strongest group of pvpers out there) and they tend to be willing to listen if they are new. There is still problems of course, when calling out a door getting attacked they all rush there and no one stays at the other door but at least they listen. I've seen it both sides and honestly, I have more a problem with AFKers and leavers then people not actually listening.

The Dunning–Kruger effect is a cognitive bias in which the unskilled suffer from illusory superiority, mistakenly rating their ability much higher than average. This bias is attributed to a metacognitive inability of the unskilled to recognize their mistakes.

This is the most true spoken words in history of MMO :D I am voting for you to be our next president :D

Edited by Balondemar

Taunt does show up under the "Protection" field. It's the same as Guard. Try it. In one game, don't Guard at all and only use taunt. You will get credit for it. Obviously not as much as if you combine both Guard and Taunt, but if you ever needed to stay in full DPS mode, you can still get the medal benefits from Taunt.

I did try this. Didn't see anything. I'll try again. One of my "moves" that I really enjoy is running into the main battle and dumping the AOE taunt on everyone nearby. Then I vanish and come back to fight in a more selective way. Does vanish break the taunt perhaps? IE., going out of combat?

YAY! i made the ten percent! WOOHOO!

the 10% which realizes it's bad and still does it.

Well what about Ranked pvp?? Is this going to separate the good ppl from the bad?? Why have a ranked system if you are depending on luck to win?? Will they separate ppl when this comes??

So what would the ranked system be based on?

Kill ratio? That doesn't make a good player

Objective points? Except objective points seem to be skewed, especially when you get no objective credits for strategically passing the ball, or scoring, in Huttball.

Definitely not the Medal system.

Most dmg? A baddie with great gear can still top those chats.

So how would you create a ranking system here that is actually based on skill rather than time spent?

HAHA-

HuttBall = Let's go kill the players on the other side of the map as the Ball! Oh, look I just respawned and the ball is in our pit .... let me sit here near the pit so they can charge at me and score..... What just happened?

Nope not just your server! lol

I love hutt ball until newbs come along

The irony is, even people who sometimes top the charts at the end of a match can often be considered "bad." Most people just try to kill the nearest enemy or the nearest enemy with the lowest health.

I enjoy kiting 3, 4 or even 5 enemy players away from a fight. I take a pounding, but it helps my team win since those players are only attacking ME and not the "important" part of the fight.

Not helping your team win is bad. IE., not nuking the ball carrier, not helping defend a turret, etc... Sadly, these are difficult metrics to evaluate.

If they make the rewards for winning a match even greater, this might change. But then all the issues (eg., 11+ man teams) will lead to more epic QQ and some of that might be justified. Although I hate to justify any QQ.

you do get credit for 30% damage reduction taunt. i use it all the time in WZs and get more protection points then when i have used gaurd. ( im infiltration spec shadow, so only use combat tech/gaurd when we have a good sentenial ).

So what would the ranked system be based on?

Kill ratio? That doesn't make a good player

Objective points? Except objective points seem to be skewed, especially when you get no objective credits for strategically passing the ball, or scoring, in Huttball.

Definitely not the Medal system.

Most dmg? A baddie with great gear can still top those chats.

So how would you create a ranking system here that is actually based on skill rather than time spent?

Team based instances of the existing WZ's would work. Make it into a daily even. The more group WZ's you win, the higher your rank. But it would have to be limited to 5 or 10 man groups. I think the latter would be tough in this game since many people solo grind for stuff so "grouping" isn't as commonplace.

I did try this. Didn't see anything. I'll try again. One of my "moves" that I really enjoy is running into the main battle and dumping the AOE taunt on everyone nearby. Then I vanish and come back to fight in a more selective way. Does vanish break the taunt perhaps? IE., going out of combat?

That's a good question, it's very possible that being in combat makes a difference. I can assure you that Taunt has been adding Protection points for me. I run an Assault spec Vanguard and in many games I stay in dps mode and only use Taunt and aoe Taunt. So with DPS and Protection adding up, I top my scoreboards 90% of the time.

HAHA-

HuttBall = Let's go kill the players on the other side of the map as the Ball! Oh, look I just respawned and the ball is in our pit .... let me sit here near the pit so they can charge at me and score..... What just happened?

Nope not just your server! lol

I love hutt ball until newbs come along

lol had that earlier, they should give us the ability to force push our own team mates into the acid tbh :p

Guard is the only thing that shows up as protection. All the rest, mass mind control (by taunt, I assume you mean mass mind control or something similar), along with static barrier are considered healing. At least I know barrier is. I pretty sure mass mindcontrol is healing, but I don't play an assassin. Just going by what my guildies say.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.